Unknown random strange update FUBARed my phoneSupport

Last Updated:

1. d.sull

d.sull New Member This Topic's Starter

My phone died on me Saturday night so I took it home and put it on the charger. When it came back on, it told me my software had been successfully updated to some kind of version 3.2.something. I didn't pay attention to what it said had been updated, I just thought "cool" and hit OK. Well once I hit ok, things start force closing. I reset the phone and Color Notes stops unexpectedly immediately. Lots of my widgets say "Problem loading gadget". At least 3 out of 5 on each home screen. Lots of my apps will not open. They open then immediately close. Lookout will not initialize. Pandora closes immediately. Also, I lost most all of my contacts. My Google contacts are still there, but all the Phone contacts are gone. My call log is gone. Internet history. Some settings are gone like default program settings and sound settings. My wallpaper, emails from my Gmail account as well as settings, unlock password, calendar entries, and some other things are still there on the phone. I have NO IDEA what the hell happened, but I would really like to try to get this fixed without hard resetting my phone. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Advertisement
  2. NilsE

NilsE Well-Known Member

From what you said, it is partially hard reset anyway so doing a real hard reset won't make you any worse off. That sounds like your only option anyway.

If you are rooted and and have done a nandroid backup restore that. Or if you did any other backup at the app level try that first.

So, just out of curiosity what does your Abaut > Software screen say you are on?

3. d.sull

: DAndroid v2.2 Baseband v2.15 Kernel v2.6.32.15 Build num 3.21.605.1 Softwa

4. Terabethia

Terabethia Well-Known Member

So 1/2 your stuff is gone and the other 1/2 is screwed up... but you don't want to do a factory reset? Why :confused:

Just reset the phone. Unless you are rooted and have some backup's that's your only option right now.

5. d.sull

If I've got to, I've got to. I just prefer not to since I've still got a lot of things set up how I like them. Wallpapers, accounts, screen layouts, apps, and lots of stuff are still there. Lots is gone too though. Oh well.

6. Mahalo

Mahalo Well-Known Member

After you get it all set up don't forget your backups! If you aren't already rooted this is the best reason to do it now! A lot of people forget to keep their backups up to date... I do it almost daily now since I switch between virtuous and jager all the time.

7. d.sull

Excellent point. Noted.

8. Terabethia

Terabethia Well-Known Member

I really wouldn't recommend rooting the phone while it is acting so strange. If something got corrupted, rooting could brick the phone. I wouldn't take that risk, but that's me.