Unknown Sources now can be allowed

1. Fast_Eddy

Fast_Eddy New Member

Don't know about anyone else, but I noticed yesterday that Setup|Applications now has a checkbox to allow installation of Non-Market applications.

I checked the box, e-mailed myself HelloIOIO.apk, installed it and ran it with no problems.

Perfect!

Boy, I am behind the times - didn't work earlier this week, though...

Advertisement
    MYFASTANG likes this.
  2. Kairosgrammy

Kairosgrammy Well-Known Member

Do you have 2.3 on yours? I looked cuz I was kinda ticked when I realized at&t doesn't allow 3rd party apps.
  3. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Well-Known Member

They are changing their policy on allowing 3rd party apps so they are pushing an update OTA that now allows phones on the att network to download apps from 3rd party sources.
    Raymond H likes this.
  4. Fast_Eddy

Fast_Eddy New Member

@Kairo,

No, I have 2.2.1 - the new check box just showed up some time in the last week or so. Hopefully, you'll see it soon on yours.
  5. Kairosgrammy

That's what I have. I get lost after the major update but phone info says 2.2.1. I've even checked for updates and haven't seen any. :confused:
  6. 2manyPHONES

You dont have to keep checking the att/htc update menu on the phone cause its an automatic update pushed to the phone. Just look under the applications menu and eventually it will be there. So to check if you have it
    Menu-settings-applications-unknown sources (if you see this option then you got the update)
  7. lmsyl

lmsyl New Member

I just bought one last weekend. The 'unknown resource' is not there. What is the firmware version? Mine is 1.84.502.11 xxx-release
  8. mlecho

mlecho New Member

same story...still no option, same build
  9. droidbaby

droidbaby Well-Known Member

I have the same problem. Talked to around 10 tech support and maybe 3-4 customer service. Nada.

Check out my thread about this.. at the last post I linked an XDA temp root that solves this problem. I just did it tonight and it worked.

http://androidforums.com/htc-inspire-4g/364872-sideload-update-fail.html

If you are desperate you might want to try it. I don't know what it does to the warranty and insurance though so use it at your own risk.
  10. RigelX

RigelX Well-Known Member

I don't know that it's necessarily a "Fail" that a phone with no battery in it (because it was sitting in a box in a storeroom) did not receive the update.
    I'm curious, though. When they push updates like this, is it usually a one-shot deal?
    If, for example, my phone is powered down for some reason during the next update, how often do they refresh the update signal?
  11. Kairosgrammy

I think I got mine while traveling from Alabama back to Mississippi. My phone was dying so I turned it off. It still updated although its possible it updated before that and I just didn't notice.
  12. 2manyPHONES

Mine updated over night with the phone off. I usually tend to turn mine off nightly and before I went to sleep i checked, nothing turned it off then turned it on around 5 checked maybe 45mins later and it was there. My husband got his like the next day and he never turns his phone off.
  13. droidbaby

droidbaby Well-Known Member

tech support from HTC told me you can dial *#*#CHECKIN#*#* to refresh all the updates. :)

Didn't work for me though, had to temp root mine to get Amazon App Store. :)
  14. brianb76

brianb76 New Member

Go to settings applications and all apps. Look for customizable settings provider clear data press back once scroll down for setting clear data and it will unlock sideloading no root works on 2.2.1 stock
  15. ashtonpry

ashtonpry Member

yay!
  16. 2manyPHONES

Gave this a try on a friends inspire who wasn't getting the update and it worked. But be warned that you may lose some settings, in my friends case the only things she lost were the wallpaper she had set and her ringtone (went back to default.) at least that is all she told me had changed at that moment.
  17. Kairosgrammy

Glad I got the update. I would hate to lose my ring tone. I hate the standard at&t ringtone.
  18. MYFASTANG

MYFASTANG Member

Log into your AT&T acct and click on chat with tech support. I did this and 5 min later I had "enable unknown sources" on my phone. She (Shannon Carter) knew exactly what I was talking about. I just finished loading swype 3.0, a lot better than my stock Inspire keyboard.
  19. thortracy

thortracy New Member

Perfect! Nice post!!
  20. cartman308

cartman308 Member

I've had them push it to me probably 6 times. Still nothing........... they are telling me the Inspire isn't cabable......... :eek: They are sending my case up the ladder so to speak.
  21. blaster200

blaster200 New Member

what method of root did you use
  22. louthebug

louthebug New Member

Well, that is the second time I did that, with the clearing of the settings as metioned above, and both time, my mms wont work. cant send pics or receive them. Had to master reset to get it to work. I am running the htc inspire with 2.2.1
  23. 2manyPHONES

For anyone that did that method of clearing the settings if you do the upgrade to gingerbread then it will fix the mms settings no need for a master reset.
  24. whatttup_G

whatttup_G Member

wow... 10/10 post, this is what the internet is for!!

for others, i have not done anything to produce this stellar advice, but i have a microscopic bit of clairty to add, and am going to rewrite the above to make it beyond simple because i know many phone users aren't techy, and i hope those users find this thread because AT&T are a bunch of evil bastards, we should never be at this point, they suck, we dont...

to verify as well, this works on a rock stock Inspire running 2.2.1, and running this recipe only reset my wallpaper, i dont see that i lost a thing... icons, apps, messages, email, all still there, except now i have the illusive unknown applications check off

- from home screen
    - tap menu
    - tap settings
    - tap applications (scroll down a little)
    - (note your unknown services check is missing)
    - tap manage applications
    - tap the tab that says all (for all applications)
    - scroll down to "customization settings provider", tap once
    - tap clear data, say ok to popup
    - press back once (back to all applications list)
    - scroll way down to "settings", tap once
    - tap clear data, say ok to popup
    - go fix wallpaper if req'd

you're done.. hit the back button or return to the applications settings and viola your check box for unknown services are now there

big thanks to brianb76 for this, i was half postal ready to root my phone and cuss out some poor ATT slave :D
  25. sharksfan7

sharksfan7 Well-Known Member

By doing this, you will most likely lose the ability to send MMS messages, requiring a factory reset or upgrade to GB to get it back, if you want that capability. But, hey, at least you can install non-market apps.
    WhoMe? likes this.