• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unlimited 4G data grandfathering?

Koop

Jan 11, 2010
Wisconsin
So I'm not really down for the Thunderbolt, but I want to keep unlimited data and move to 4G. If I will be grandfathered in I will jump on it next week before Verizon goes to tiered data plans. Has anyone looked at the contract? Is the plan going to be pushed beyond the 2 years?

So I'm not really down for the Thunderbolt, but I want to keep unlimited data and move to 4G. If I will be grandfathered in I will jump on it next week before Verizon goes to tiered data plans. Has anyone looked at the contract? Is the plan going to be pushed beyond the 2 years?
Thats me, i want to hold on to unlimited data as long as possible. If i knew beyond a shadow of a doubt we could be grandfathered, id make the jump, but if not, im gonna hold my last NE2.

The new 4g phone that samsung has, anyone know much about it?

Upvote 0

As it currently stands, 4G data is still unlimited. This may change, there is no info yet.

However, if you have an unlimited 3G plan and they do implement a data cap for 4G later, if you upgrade to a 4G device later, you will more than likely have to go with a cap limit. The billing system will probably restrict you to a new plan based on the new device SIM info, etc.

My most sage advice to you is this as someone who gets their checks from a large cell carrier: if you want to be grandfathered, get the Thunderbolt. It is not a guarantee, but you'll have a better leg to stand on arguing to keep unlimited 4G while you currently have it.

I am not predicting things are going to change and nor am I suggesting that switching devices is not without its pitfalls coming up. If the billing system is hard coded to only accept certain options when switching devices, then you may find yourself without a grandfathered plan.

What I do not wish to do is have you read a load of commentary from people not intimately aware of how the systems work. Rep shopping through 611 will not let you keep certain features when they are hard coded to be locked out or unavailable.

But don't worry. For the moment at any rate, be happy :D

Upvote 0
As it currently stands, 4G data is still unlimited. This may change, there is no info yet.

However, if you have an unlimited 3G plan and they do implement a data cap for 4G later, if you upgrade to a 4G device later, you will more than likely have to go with a cap limit. The billing system will probably restrict you to a new plan based on the new device SIM info, etc.

My most sage advice to you is this as someone who gets their checks from a large cell carrier: if you want to be grandfathered, get the Thunderbolt. It is not a guarantee, but you'll have a better leg to stand on arguing to keep unlimited 4G while you currently have it.

I am not predicting things are going to change and nor am I suggesting that switching devices is not without its pitfalls coming up. If the billing system is hard coded to only accept certain options when switching devices, then you may find yourself without a grandfathered plan.

What I do not wish to do is have you read a load of commentary from people not intimately aware of how the systems work. Rep shopping through 611 will not let you keep certain features when they are hard coded to be locked out or unavailable.

But don't worry. For the moment at any rate, be happy :D
This is exactally what i was thinking, that is what made me make the jump to the Tbolt.

Upvote 0
I spoke with a knowledgable VZW rep. She informed me that the 3G and 4G plans are the same in the computer. The only thing that is different is that the 4G phones need a sim card.

If you have unlimited 3G now, then you will be grandfathered into the 4G unlimited data plan even if it is not offered.

The only catch is that if VZW does go 4G tiered, then you have to buy the 4G phone at full retail price. That way, you are not entering into a new contract.

Upvote 0
From a business / "I want to bleed Verizon customers wallets dry until it looks like a raisin" standpoint I'm betting things will end up like this....

You keep your unlimited data plan unless you want to upgrade your phone.

Keep your unlimited data and pricing.....or.....pay the full retail price of the phone?

....or Verizon changes their policy to state all unlimited data plans will expire at the end of their contract. I believe there's a clause in the contract that allows Verizon to change their policies at any time.

I plan on keeping my phone pristine then upgrade via Craigslist/Ebay. :D

Reactions: SeekerOfTheWay
Upvote 0
I think the Data plans is a feature, verizon can change data plan per contract at any time.. read the fine prints

As for now its unlimited data

From a business / "I want to bleed Verizon customers wallets dry until it looks like a raisin" standpoint I'm betting things will end up like this....

You keep your unlimited data plan unless you want to upgrade your phone.

Keep your unlimited data and pricing.....or.....pay the full retail price of the phone?

....or Verizon changes their policy to state all unlimited data plans will expire at the end of their contract. I believe there's a clause in the contract that allows Verizon to change their policies at any time.

I plan on keeping my phone pristine then upgrade via Craigslist/Ebay. :D

I've been trying to tell people this for months. Not one person has been able to offer any proof whatsoever that there will be any type of grandfathering for the data plans. One person said it and everyone else jumped on it, but there is absolutely no proof.

Upvote 0
I think the Data plans is a feature, verizon can change data plan per contract at any time.. read the fine prints

As for now its unlimited data

Is data plan really a feature If it's required to have though? I think it falls under contract terms. A feature is an add-on that can be dropped. We can't drop our data plans.

What I would love is a WiFi only plan on my device. No mandatory data. How about a data only plan, with no voice or 100 minutes for 10. I pay 40 a month for 450 minutes and i use 30 minutes a month only.

Upvote 0
I've been trying to tell people this for months. Not one person has been able to offer any proof whatsoever that there will be any type of grandfathering for the data plans. One person said it and everyone else jumped on it, but there is absolutely no proof.

Is data plan really a feature If it's required to have though? I think it falls under contract terms. A feature is an add-on that can be dropped. We can't drop our data plans.

What I would love is a WiFi only plan on my device. No mandatory data. How about a data only plan, with no voice or 100 minutes for 10. I pay 40 a month for 450 minutes and i use 30 minutes a month only.

I want the Droid 3, if I buy a phone on July 6th and return it in the window given, 14 days, will the unlimited data contract still be in place even in the event of a return past July 7th?

You all see this? I found it in another thread. Good news if it is true.

Upvote 0
I really don't fully understand that. It's saying that if I go 4g prior to 7/7 I can keep my unlimited plan forever? If I upgrade to 4g AFTER 7/7 I have to go to the tiered plan?

It makes of sound like any data plan. I've seen in the forms a few times that 3G/4G are just listed as "data". No real difference (yet).

Upvote 0
I really don't fully understand that. It's saying that if I go 4g prior to 7/7 I can keep my unlimited plan forever? If I upgrade to 4g AFTER 7/7 I have to go to the tiered plan?

The way I understand it, and the way a VZW rep (I know, I know) explained it to me, data is data and if you unlimited on or before 7/6/2011, you KEEP unlimited DATA until YOU either cancel your line or go to some sort of tiered plan. If they come out with a good family share plan, I could see switching and giving up unlimited data. But, it looks like if you unlimited data now or before 7/7/2011, you will always have unlimited data on those lines. If you are a new customer, a customer upgrading a non-data line to data or adding a NEW line with data, those particular lines will be subject to tired data. There, clear as mud?

Just an example, I'm still on an old Alltel family share plan with UNLIMITED TEXTING (truly unlimited any number texting) that is much, much, much better than anything VZW offers. VZW has told me I will keep that plan until such time that I change it. They have offered my numerous inducements to change it and I've passed. To this day, and for as long into the future as I can see, I have a calling plan that is not offered by VZW in any form because I was grandfathered in. From what I can tell, unlimited data will follow this same path.

Upvote 0
The thing with 3G and 4G data plans as I see it, they are classified under the same data plan. The issue comes from the 4G SIM card. If you buy a Thunderbolt now you have the SIM card that you can then transfer to a new 4G phone. If you have a regular 3G phone, then you'd need to get the 4G SIM card to use 4G, and I believe they will force you to get a new activation for not having one.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, I just spoke with my brother who took his webinar training w/Verizon on the tiered data plan changes. He knew I was looking for wording about existing customers going from 3G to 4G. He confirmed with me that in his webinar, that it did specifically say that existing 3G customers that purchase a 4G phone AFTER July 7th, would still be grandfathered in on the unlimited data packages.

So no need to rush out on the 6th (like I was going to do) to purchase either the Thunderbolt, Revolution, or Charge. We can now wait on the Bionic.

I did ask him to send me a screenshot for proof to everyone on the boards, but he told me no because he's chicken S#%t and scared to do that kind of thing. So, we'll have to take my brother's street creds on this one.

He also wanted to tell me a data fact pointed out in his training: that said 96% of 3G customers use less than 2GB of data...and that 91% of 4G customers are using less than 2GB of data.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, I just spoke with my brother who took his webinar training w/Verizon on the tiered data plan changes. He knew I was looking for wording about existing customers going from 3G to 4G. He confirmed with me that in his webinar, that it did specifically say that existing 3G customers that purchase a 4G phone AFTER July 7th, would still be grandfathered in on the unlimited data packages.

So no need to rush out on the 6th (like I was going to do) to purchase either the Thunderbolt, Revolution, or Charge. We can now wait on the Bionic.

I did ask him to send me a screenshot for proof to everyone on the boards, but he told me no because he's chicken S#%t and scared to do that kind of thing. So, we'll have to take my brother's street creds on this one.

He also wanted to tell me a data fact pointed out in his training: that said 96% of 3G customers use less than 2GB of data...and that 91% of 4G customers are using less than 2GB of data.

The 4G stat is probably guessed based on the 3G stat, which is years old. Things have changed since then and people use more now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones