Unlimited Browsing with Nexus One

Last Updated:

1. zimo

zimo Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

It's been 2 weeks that I am having a problem with Rogers' Unlimited Browsing and Application Use and I have been calling them and sending them emails but I am only being transferred from technical support assistant to another. Here is my problem: My Internet was working properly until approximately 2 weeks ago. Since then, every time I try to go on the Internet (or use any application using Internet) I am being asked to buy a data plan passport (either a one-day pass, a one-week pass or a one month pass). I have tried to change the Internet settings and use these:

Name: Rogers
    APN: internet.com
    Username: wapuser1
    Password: wap
    MCC: 302
    MNC: 720

Advertisement
  2. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Well-Known Member

Zimo, you should try contacting Mary Pretotto from Rogers, she might be able to help. You can find her on twitter here: Mary @ Rogers (RogersMary) on Twitter

I will let her know about your post here (she stops in from time to time).

3. RogersMary

RogersMary Well-Known Member

Hi Zimo. Try these settings:

Rogers Access Point Settings

• APN: rogers-core-appl1.apn
    • Proxy: <not set>
    • Port: <not set>
    • Username: <not set>
    • Password: <not set>
    • Server: <not set>
    • MMSC: http://mms.gprs.rogers.com
    • MMS Proxy: 10.128.1.69
    • MMS Port: 80
    • MCC: 302 (retrieved from SIM)
    • MNC: 720 (retrieved from SIM).
    • Authentication type: <not set>
    • APN type: <not set>
    Let me know if that helps.
    -Mary

4. zimo

Hi and thanks for your help,

I tried these settings and it doesn't work either, I am getting the same message asking me to buy the data plan.
    I forgot to mention that I am using the Google Nexus One. After speaking with Rogers they told me that I can't use the Unlimited Browsing and I absolutely need a data plan because I have a smartphone. Is this true ? In that case, how was I able to use it for 2 months without any problem ?

Thank you for your assistance, I really appreciate it.

5. BingoRingo

BingoRingo Well-Known Member

Zimo,

The unlimited browsing is limited to websites on a regular phone (WAP) as they take very little data. It is different from a data plan, you really need a smartphone plan to use the Nexus One, or maybe you need to limit yourself to mobile websites.

Rogers is right on this one. Sorry!

6. TriC

TriC Well-Known Member

You can't use a Unlimited Browsing plan on a nexus 1... LOL only dumb phones you can use with the Unlimited Browsing plan.. any smart phone you need a data plan.

7. zimo

Thank you for your answers. About the data plan, I figured they could be right, but it got me thinking, how come the Internet was working on my device for 2 months... Maybe they didn't detect my phone as a smartphone before and now they recognized it, so what if I buy a dumb phone, in which I would place my SIM so they can detect that I'm not using any smartphone and let me go on the Internet. As soon as it works on the dumb phone, I could switch my SIM back to my N1. I would redo the same procedure every time I get the message telling me to buy a data plan on my N1...

Do you think this would work ? Has anyone tried it ? Because I don't want to spend money on a dumb phone or pay the 10$ for unlimited browsing in vain.

Thank you

8. BingoRingo

BingoRingo Well-Known Member

I think you get 2 months unlimited data with Rogers so maybe when you connected to the 3G network to use a data plan it gave you those two months but now it has expired.

Just an idea...