Unlimited Browsing with Nexus One

Discussion in 'Rogers' started by zimo, Sep 16, 2010.

1. zimo

zimo Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Hi,

It's been 2 weeks that I am having a problem with Rogers' Unlimited Browsing and Application Use and I have been calling them and sending them emails but I am only being transferred from technical support assistant to another. Here is my problem: My Internet was working properly until approximately 2 weeks ago. Since then, every time I try to go on the Internet (or use any application using Internet) I am being asked to buy a data plan passport (either a one-day pass, a one-week pass or a one month pass). I have tried to change the Internet settings and use these:

Name: Rogers
    APN: internet.com
    Username: wapuser1
    Password: wap
    MCC: 302
    MNC: 720

Advertisement
  2. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2009
    Male
    In my house.
    Zimo, you should try contacting Mary Pretotto from Rogers, she might be able to help. You can find her on twitter here: Mary @ Rogers (RogersMary) on Twitter

I will let her know about your post here (she stops in from time to time).

3. RogersMary

RogersMary Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Hi Zimo. Try these settings:

Rogers Access Point Settings

• APN: rogers-core-appl1.apn
    • Proxy: <not set>
    • Port: <not set>
    • Username: <not set>
    • Password: <not set>
    • Server: <not set>
    • MMSC: http://mms.gprs.rogers.com
    • MMS Proxy: 10.128.1.69
    • MMS Port: 80
    • MCC: 302 (retrieved from SIM)
    • MNC: 720 (retrieved from SIM).
    • Authentication type: <not set>
    • APN type: <not set>
    Let me know if that helps.
    -Mary

4. zimo

zimo Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Hi and thanks for your help,

I tried these settings and it doesn't work either, I am getting the same message asking me to buy the data plan.
    I forgot to mention that I am using the Google Nexus One. After speaking with Rogers they told me that I can't use the Unlimited Browsing and I absolutely need a data plan because I have a smartphone. Is this true ? In that case, how was I able to use it for 2 months without any problem ?

Thank you for your assistance, I really appreciate it.

5. BingoRingo

BingoRingo Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Aylmer, Quebec
    Zimo,

The unlimited browsing is limited to websites on a regular phone (WAP) as they take very little data. It is different from a data plan, you really need a smartphone plan to use the Nexus One, or maybe you need to limit yourself to mobile websites.

Rogers is right on this one. Sorry!

6. TriC

TriC Well-Known Member

You can't use a Unlimited Browsing plan on a nexus 1... LOL only dumb phones you can use with the Unlimited Browsing plan.. any smart phone you need a data plan.

7. zimo

zimo Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Thank you for your answers. About the data plan, I figured they could be right, but it got me thinking, how come the Internet was working on my device for 2 months... Maybe they didn't detect my phone as a smartphone before and now they recognized it, so what if I buy a dumb phone, in which I would place my SIM so they can detect that I'm not using any smartphone and let me go on the Internet. As soon as it works on the dumb phone, I could switch my SIM back to my N1. I would redo the same procedure every time I get the message telling me to buy a data plan on my N1...

Do you think this would work ? Has anyone tried it ? Because I don't want to spend money on a dumb phone or pay the 10$ for unlimited browsing in vain.

Thank you

8. BingoRingo

BingoRingo Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Aylmer, Quebec
    I think you get 2 months unlimited data with Rogers so maybe when you connected to the 3G network to use a data plan it gave you those two months but now it has expired.

Just an idea...