• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unlimited data plan price increase

How is it possible to still have a contract with unlimited data? Verizon stopped offering unlimited data 4 years ago and you've had to pay full price (no subsidies) for your phone to keep UDP.
There have always been tricks to maintain UDP and get free phones hence contracts.

Upvote 0
Well it will sting a bit but it still makes sense to keep the UDP. My line is in a family shared package so the voice costs $9 and there is a company discount. I guess it will be around $50 total with tax and all.

I think the real reason to stick with the UDP is the no throttling bit. The FCC has already smacked down their try at that with these plans. I don't know it but I would bet all the new plans all have some kind of throttling built in to get around the exception for the LTE spectrum. (Please someone correct me if that is wrong.)

EDIT to Add: Another thing is the device independence of the UDP. Under the rules, it doesn't matter what device you use for your UDP. You can drop the SIM in a tablet or even a hotspot and they can't pull the plug. Again, this may be true for all new plans too, I just don't know.

FWIW
DLM

Last edited:
Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
I think I was the last one with an Unlimited contract. My UDP contract just expired last week. Two years ago there was a glitch in the system where for a few hours it let people with Unlimited Data buy a MotoX at the "new contract" price and renewed our unlimited contracts. I got in on that with my two lines, which were month to month prior to that.

That said, I just bought an S6 Edge last month on Swappa and my wife just bought an iPhone 6 there last night. Now they go and raise the prices and say that we could get new phones with the monthly payment plan. Ugh. Just my luck. Oh well, we use ~20-25GB/month total so dropping unlimited to go to a tiered plan would probably be a lot more for us.

Reactions: Th30n3 and SBCT
Upvote 0
I sometimes wish I had kept my UDP because when I take a motorcycle vacation, I use up a ton of data while on the road.

but, when at home, the phone switches over to WiFi and my data drops below 250kB per month.... makes it hard to justify the UDP rate price during the off season when it is too cold to travel.

VZW recently doubled my 3 gB/month to 6 gB/month and on my last 30 day motorcycle vacation, I watched it frugually and managed to end the cycle at 5.98 gB

I had to turn the phone off with about 1 hour and 45 minutes to go or risk a penalty fee. :mad:

Upvote 0
I'm still in contract and on unlimited until January, 2016. If I'm understanding the new rules correctly, it allows for us to get subsidized pricing without losing our unlimited. If that's the case, I'll just get a subsidized iPhone and then sell it. Use the proceeds to fund the extra $20/month fee while funding my own devices off to the side like I always have.

Upvote 0
I'm still in contract and on unlimited until January, 2016. If I'm understanding the new rules correctly, it allows for us to get subsidized pricing without losing our unlimited. If that's the case, I'll just get a subsidized iPhone and then sell it. Use the proceeds to fund the extra $20/month fee while funding my own devices off to the side like I always have.

To be clear, UDP customers can now use the monthly payment plan option, but there's no subsidy. You're still paying full price on the phone, you just don't have to pay it all upfront.

Upvote 0
To be clear, UDP customers can now use the monthly payment plan option, but there's no subsidy. You're still paying full price on the phone, you just don't have to pay it all upfront.

I'm seeing mixed reports on that. Some say subsidized. I'm on an old plan which still allows for that. Just bought a $200 iPhone 2 days ago. Time will tell.

@VZW what you should do in my opinion...accept new terms (+ $20/month and retain unlimited) or stay at same rate with fixed 10GB data allowance. Take care of the people that built your network.

Last edited:
Reactions: AZgl1500
Upvote 0
What infuriates me is, I paid full retail for a Droid Turbo last December. Now I'm going to be forced to go to a fixed-rate plan after only one year of paying full price for my device! I don't use enough data to justify the extra $20 per month. My wife is on a 2GB plan and has gone over her limit twice this year. Switching to a 12GB plan probably makes sense for us. But I'm still pissed about paying full retail for a phone and not being able to keep the $30 UDP.

Last edited:
Reactions: The_Chief and today
Upvote 0
What infuriates me is, I paid full retail for a Droid Turbo last December. Now I'm going to be forced to go to a fixed-rate plan after only one year of paying full price for my device! I don't use enough data to justify the extra $20 per month. My wife is on a 2GB plan and has gone over her limit twice this year. Switching to a 12GB plan probably makes sense for us. But I'm still pissed about paying full retail for a phone and not being able to keep the $30 UDP.

VZW sends out a SMS when your data allowance is getting close.
I had that happen just last week, I looked at their help app and saw I was at 5.98 gB on a 6.0 plan.
I had about 4 hours left on my cycle, so I just turned the phone off and read a book for the night.

Upvote 0
Folks, I'm a bit confused. I still have unlimited. I believe I've been out of contract about 2 years; I bought my Droid Maxx at full price in Dec 2013, but that's OK, because it went cheap for like a day and my credit card refunded the differences.

Anyhows, is there any way I could renew my unlimited as a contract before the price increase goes through? I was under the impression back in 2013 that I couldn't go under contract with unlimited anymore, hence why I bought a phone full price.

I use about 1.8 GB a month, and once hit 3 GB. My wife has 2 GB plan and uses about 2 GB a month. I also still get corporate discount on data, which they stopped a long time ago, so with my 450 minutes, no texting, and unlimited data, with taxes and discount, I pay $60/month. Please recommend what I should do. I'm OK with paying full retail for a phone.

Upvote 0
Anyhows, is there any way I could renew my unlimited as a contract before the price increase goes through? I was under the impression back in 2013 that I couldn't go under contract with unlimited anymore, hence why I bought a phone full price.

You're right, you can't. There are no more unlimited contracts to renew to. The biggest VZW data bucket is 18GB/mo shared data. I could probably get away with it, but that's the end of an era for me. I never thought I'd see the day that I killed my own UDP plan... but Big Red is making it prohibitively expensive to keep.

Upvote 0
Folks, I'm a bit confused. I still have unlimited. I believe I've been out of contract about 2 years; I bought my Droid Maxx at full price in Dec 2013, but that's OK, because it went cheap for like a day and my credit card refunded the differences.

I use about 1.8 GB a month, and once hit 3 GB. My wife has 2 GB plan and uses about 2 GB a month. I also still get corporate discount on data, which they stopped a long time ago, so with my 450 minutes, no texting, and unlimited data, with taxes and discount, I pay $60/month. Please recommend what I should do. I'm OK with paying full retail for a phone.

You might be able to get in before the lock. What many of us have done to this point is to upgrade another phone on our line which is a contract device (such as your wife's), but when you receive the device, place your SIM into it, assuming ownership. Since its a subsidized phone, vzw ups your contract again for 2 years. I think you'd need to be on an older, Nationwide type plan for this to work or another that still allows subsidized devices. And you'd have to make sure they haven't sealed that method off.

Upvote 0

Transfer your upgrade to your wife's phone line. Upgrade using HER phone line. Your unlimited line is renewed for 2 years.

Upvote 0

all you need to do is dial up 611 and talk to CS...

they have always been very supportive of my needs.

I talked to a gal for almost an hour when I made the decision to let go of my UDP....
she looked back at my Data Use History for over 3 years, and when we saw how my habits have been, it just did not make sense to keep paying for UDP.

and honestly? I don't miss it at all. I went to the XL T-Shirt plan at 6 gB and have not over run it yet. They offer the XXL T-Shirt plan at 12 gB/month.
for me, it was a no-brainer decision.

for someone who does not have access to WiFi all the time, I can see it being a very painful decision.

Upvote 0
Crap what horrible timing!

My contact is up 11/27....I know costco can help me get a new phone and keep my udp, but not until my current contact is up.

Is there any way to just pay off the remaining month and get a phone now?
Out any other methods?

I'm getting tired of dealing with vzw bs, I might just quit and go to tmobile

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones