unlimited data plan???

Last Updated:

1. pogiewun

pogiewun Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

hello all. i need to get some info from you guys. to all who had the unlimited data plan w/ ATT before purchasing this phone, were you all able be grandfathered in to the unlimited data plan or were you forced to take on the new data plan which is limited? ive spoken to several ATT reps and was given mixed information regarding this matter. unfortunately i had to take on the new limited data plan with 2GBs. please give me your comments and insights. thanks guys and gals!

Advertisement
  2. beh1977

beh1977 New Member

Purchased my phone today, and they allowed me to keep my unlimited package. I went to a Corporate store.

3. YellowGT0

YellowGT0 Well-Known Member

Yes they let me keep it

4. Steemax

Steemax Well-Known Member

Yep they also let me keep it, it was a little different for me since I used another line on my account to upgrade so she had to take off the unlimited plan and put it back on :)

5. macshield

macshield Active Member

I switched over from the Iphone and the person at the AT&T corporate store said I would keep my unlimited data plan as long as I stayed on a smartphone, didn't matter which one.

6. Dennis_Bham

Dennis_Bham Well-Known Member

I upgraded from a BB Bold 9000 with an unlimited data plan and yes I was able to keep it. I upgraded at an at&t corporate store.

7. mesasone

mesasone Well-Known Member

I upgraded from my Bold (9000) with BIS to the Captivate and was given "Smartphone Personal" or something like that with the unlimited (5?) GeeBees.

8. pogiewun

wow! so i guess the guy at the kiosk lied to me then! he said that i had to change to the new data plan. what a bunch of BS. ive actually been callin 611 and tried to get one of the ATT reps to switch it back over. ill try my luck today and see what they can do for me. thanks a lot for the info guys!

9. Intervenient

Intervenient Well-Known Member

Yup, grandfathered here too.

10. DaMajorPayne

DaMajorPayne Active Member

Hey guys im coming from Sony Ericsson that doesnt any kinda of data plan im just sharing a line for a extra 10bux a month. I haven't stuck my sim card into the my new captivate. Will they automatically add a data plan to my line? or should i add a data plan under my old phone will it be unlimited or 2gb for 15bux?

11. mesasone

mesasone Well-Known Member

For 15 dollars it will be the 200mb plan. 2gb is 25, and the unlimited plans are/were 30 bucks.

12. Aftashok

Aftashok Well-Known Member

they tried to do the same to me in a kiosk and at an Authorized Dealer.... i just went to a corporate store instead and had no problems at all getting my plan grandfathered in....

13. rlb4

rlb4 Well-Known Member

You were definitely lied to. Call ATT and complain and get your unlimited plan back.

14. pogiewun

update*

i was able to get an ATT rep to change me back to the unlimited data plan. i did it by lying to a rep telling her that i was using a nokia n97 and giving her the imei number from that phone. unfortunately ATT caught on and changed me back to the 2gb plan. i got a couple of text messages from ATT at 3am in the morning saying that my phone needed a data plan and that they made the changes automatically. i called ATT and tried to have them put me back on the unlimited plan, but they said they couldnt grandfather me in since i wasnt on a "smart phone" unlimited data plan previous to owning the captivate. i didnt even know that there were 2 kinds of unlimited data plans. apparently i was on a non smart phone unlimited plan and that doesnt count toward being grandfathered in to the smart phone unlimited data plan.

so i guess im stuck with the 2gb plan WHICH SUCKS BALLS!!! aghhh!

15. texas_archer

texas_archer Member

I was able to keep the unlimited data plan - I had a Iphone 1st Gen when I upgraded to the Captivate.

16. mi04se1

mi04se1 Well-Known Member

I was also able to keep the unlimited data.

17. t-readyroc

t-readyroc Well-Known Member

Was able to keep my unlimited plan when I purchased from Best Buy. The sales girl had to jump through a couple of extra hoops, but she made it happen.

18. pogiewun

ya...all of you that were grandfathered in to the unlimited data plan, had the "smart phone" unlimited data plan before.

i on the other hand had the "non smart phone" family unlimited data plan before which doesnt count towards being grandfathered in the unlimited data plan.

wish i was given this information a long time ago.

19. 8th sin

8th sin Member

I was able to keep mine...switched from a bold 9000 at a corporate store. Got the smartphone personal plan...unlimited text and data.

20. pogiewun

ALRIGHT!!! i was finally able to get a hold of an ATT manager. he was able to add the unlimited smart phone data plan to my account. SO RELIEVED!

21. CLRana9017

CLRana9017 Active Member

Got to keep mine, but it took forever to get it. They had to grandfather it in, as noted by Retentions, but when activated, they didn't do so and took away my messaging as well. I told them, "Put it all back, or I'm switching to Sprint." They gave me everything as well as a few months credit haha.

22. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Well-Known Member

I'd like to see proof of that. It's not even possible to add that into the system for people who have never had an Unlimited Smartphone plan.

23. Regalicious

Regalicious Well-Known Member

Where'd you hear that? My friend never even had a data plan before and he was able to sweet-talk his local store/manager into giving him an unlimited plan (the $30/mo one) for the Captivate because he was an old (20 yrs) loyal customer who'd been off-contract for years and who was considering moving to Verizon for their unlimited plan.

My other friend (who also got a Captivate ... we got Captivate fever haha), after hearing this, negotiated w/ corporate to try to get an iPhone unlimited plan that his mom didn't use transferred to his number (which had never previously had a data plan since he had a dumbphone) and added to his Captivate (essentially switching what would have been a 250MB minimal plan to the iPhone and putting the unlimited plan on the Captivate), and after haggling for about an hour and a half in store without leaving, got it done.

A little negotiating goes a long way haha

24. pogiewun

apparently it is possible because an ATT manager did it for me. ill take a screen shot of my next billing cycle and prove it to you.

i hope this info clears up a lot of confusion regarding this matter. good luck with your purchases everyone!:D

25. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Well-Known Member

A screenshot isn't going to prove anything. You could have had Unlimited Smartphone Data all along.

Any AT&T 'manager' who adds that plan is risking their job, btw. I've been trying for over a month to get Unlimited back on my girlfriends line after she bought an iPhone 4. I've been kicked way up the ladder and they tell me it can't be done.

So, I hope everyone isn't disappointed that it won't be available anymore.