1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

Unlimited data + Root = tethering?

1. nfs13epic

nfs13epic Well-Known Member Contributor

So If I have a S2 on a custom rom will I be able to tether on the unlimited data. Of coarse Im going to be using another tethering app because the official tmobile app will block it. I tried to tether but within 20 mins it seems tmobile blocked it.

Advertisement
  2. SEMIJim

SEMIJim Well-Known Member

How much does it cost to add legitimate tethering to a T-Mobile data plan? Can you turn it on and off on a month-by-month basis, as you can with other carriers?

Jim
  3. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

Jim,

See the sticky thread up top about tethering on T-Mobile.
  4. SEMIJim

Doh! Sorry :eek:

ETA: Neither that post, nor the link to which it points, actually answers my question. But never mind: It was only idle curiosity.
  5. zachavm

zachavm Well-Known Member

$15/month.
  6. zachavm

I think that you will either need to be rooted or use a custom rom. If you are using a custom rom, the tracking software T-Mobile uses will not be installed. If you want to use the stock, you need to be rooted. Then you'll need to use Titanium back to freeze or remove (I'd always suggest freezing) the program T-Mobile uses to control tethering. On the Exhibit I think it's TetheringManager2. I don't know what it is on the Galaxy S2. Check the S2 forums on here and XDA. I'm sure it will explain things.
  7. Petrah

That's not for tethering. That's for hotspot.

Probably not a good idea to tell someone how to steal services without paying for it.
  8. GalaxyNexus

GalaxyNexus Well-Known Member

FoxFi. TMobile will still be able to see you're tethering, but as long as your not powering your whole house by your phone you're probably fine.
  9. SEMIJim

Tetherig, hotspot, poh-tay-toh, poh-tah-toh :)

I don't know about TMO, but I don't believe VZW or Sprint differentiates between tethering and hotspotting?

I've never agreed with stealing.

Jim
  10. zachavm

Q1: I don't think T-mobile differentiates between the two terms.

Q2: I'm simply answering the question specified, not endorsing or supporting anything.
  11. Petrah

Edit: Zach is correct. Sorry about that!
  12. zachavm

http://androidforums.com/t-mobile/455544-t-mobiles-official-tethering-policy.html

It's a sticky on the front page. Interpret it how you will, but this seems to state they are together.
    Petrah likes this.
  13. Petrah

I thought I was going nuts.. then realized I read the wrong window (had VM USA tethering policy open for some odd reason). Please except my sincere apologies.
  14. zachavm

Lol. No worries. Very classy of you to say so. Most people will sooner drink rotten milk than admit they are wrong on the internet.