• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unlimited Data to 200MB limit.

leocomeon

Lurker
Jul 31, 2010
I went to private AT&T dealer to upgrade my phone, contract has been renewed for 2 years, and that guy changed my unlimited data plan (it was $15/mo too) to the 200MB one.

He said my previous unlimited data plan was not for smartphones (actually I did not use AT&T branded phone before Captivate, I bought SonyEricsson X1 for my self), if i chose to upgrade the unknown AT&T phone to captivate, they have to change my data plan to the 200MB limit one.

Is his explaination true? I want my unlimited data plan...

I went to private AT&T dealer to upgrade my phone, contract has been renewed for 2 years, and that guy changed my unlimited data plan (it was $15/mo too) to the 200MB one.

He said my previous unlimited data plan was not for smartphones (actually I did not use AT&T branded phone before Captivate, I bought SonyEricsson X1 for my self), if i chose to upgrade the unknown AT&T phone to captivate, they have to change my data plan to the 200MB limit one.

Is his explaination true? I want my unlimited data plan...

The unlimited plan for smartphones was $30/mo, so the $15/mo plan you mentioned wouldn't have been for smartphones, so when you upgraded, you would have had either the 200mb or 2gb plan to choose from. If you would have had the $30/mo smartphone unlimited plan before they changed them up, you could have kept it and been grandfathered in.

Upvote 0
OP, I think the answers given so far are not clear :)

The plan you HAD was probably a "media net" plan that is for dumb phones. You cannot carry over a dumbphone net plan to a smartphone. For smartphones, AT&T has 2 plans now, lowest priced is $15 for 200 MB, and none of the two plans are unlimited.
AT&T would allow a former smartphone user with a $30 smartphone net plan upgrade to another smartphone and keep the unlimited plan, but I believe that promo has been stopped already. In any case that promo is not applicable to you, you upgraded the net plan from dumbphone to smartphone. The dealer did everything correctly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones