• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unlimited Tethering for ZTE Zmax Pro MetroPCS/T-Mobile

Don't take this offensive or anything but your wrong about not changing the TTL on the router, I just finally figured out how to do it through the command box in dd-wrt and its working like a charm now. I can stream Internet to anything now. make note of that when you update the thread.

Interesting......I tested the Internet download and upload speed on my ps4 it says its still only 100kbs.......BUT!! when I go to watch a netflix movie or hulu or youtube it works and streams perfectly fine in HD. you might have to give a second to auto check the quality but it smooths out after that. All I wanted to do was watch stuff and by spending weeks on this I finally got it working with the comfort of my ps4 and controller. :D

Now if only I could figure out a way to download stuff on the ps4 it blocks that and for some reason I'm guessing the tweaking and modifying of what I have done only works with the HTML base stuff on the ps4. But when I trys to connect to a server to download it fails and it tests my download speed and only comes up with 100kb :p its fun trying to figure this out.

Might have something to do with the fact I have already used up all my hotspot data for this month. But I'm guessing next month if I have this setup and a new cycle on my bill and hotpot data is back It shouldn't detect it. I ended up using my data this month doing trial and error.....

I still have unlimited data on my phone I only used 50 gb of it, But my hotspot data is in the red it says I have a 9 gb of hotspot data but it stops at 8.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Did you ever get this to work? if so what did you do?
They don't have firmware for my router, i need to get a different one. I've been researching the issue.
I would set your TTL higher. Try something like 89. With each device it drops off one number. As in, 89 becomes 88, becomes 87, ect with each other client device connecting to the host.

Upvote 0
They don't have firmware for my router, i need to get a different one. I've been researching the issue.
I would set your TTL higher. Try something like 89. With each device it drops off one number. As in, 89 becomes 88, becomes 87, ect with each other client device connecting to the host.

I thought you had a wnr2000v3? If so thats the same kind of router I have you can put dd-wrt on it you just have down grade the firmware. There is a link floating around somewhere with the firmware that works on the router you just can't update or use a newer version of dd-wrt. you can only stay with the recommended version do to a size limit the router has. I'll have to try setting it higher ill let you know the results but as far as things are going right now things are working pretty good.

Upvote 0
Honestly, TTL modifications for your router should not work because Windows will use it's own TTL value when sharing internet with the router. If you are using Ubuntu, it may be different.... Also, I switched back to my old Nexus 4 and managed to get unlimited wifi tethering from the phone without any complicated setups or VPNs... I'm getting 20 down and 16 up, it's so awesome.

But since you young lads are so insistent on using DD-WRT, it would help you guys if you changed the router to bridge mode, the reason you could be suffering reduced speeds is because of bandwidth allocation. I'm not super sure how it works or decides what amount of bandwidth each device gets, but it could be a problem. If I were you I would put the router in bridge mode.

Or better yet, switch the DD-WRT router to client mode so you can directly connect to your phone and just use the LAN ports to get the internet..... why didn't I think of that.. lol

Upvote 0
Honestly, TTL modifications for your router should not work because Windows will use it's own TTL value when sharing internet with the router. If you are using Ubuntu, it may be different.... Also, I switched back to my old Nexus 4 and managed to get unlimited wifi tethering from the phone without any complicated setups or VPNs... I'm getting 20 down and 16 up, it's so awesome.

But since you young lads are so insistent on using DD-WRT, it would help you guys if you changed the router to bridge mode, the reason you could be suffering reduced speeds is because of bandwidth allocation. I'm not super sure how it works or decides what amount of bandwidth each device gets, but it could be a problem. If I were you I would put the router in bridge mode.

Or better yet, switch the DD-WRT router to client mode so you can directly connect to your phone and just use the LAN ports to get the internet..... why didn't I think of that.. lol

I increased the ttl value to 89 I didn't really notice the difference too be honest....I switched the router to bridge and it disconnected me from wireless......Im not sure if it really works with my type of router. But once I did that I couldn't find the network and had to reset the router and start all over again.

Upvote 0
Nothing seems to work for me. I am using an LG Optimus F60 with an Unlimited Plan. I've done different TTL, VPN, bloetooth, and routers, even tried the updated "solution" (utrasurf), but nothing seems to work. The worst part is that Metro is now trhotling my data after reaching 28GB in my phone and it is detecting my phone data as if it was Hotspot.

So even if I dont hotspot, it will use my hotspot data :( Does anyone else have this problem? It happened after trying Ultrasurf. Is there something I can do to at least fix that? Thanks.

Upvote 0

Hmmmm I wonder if you could somehow put the foxfi proxy address and port on the router? Reason I'm thinking of this is because I have it enabled on "FireFox". I took it a step further and enabled it on my whole Linux based computer so it redirects everything too the clients on my desktop through the foxfi proxy. It's noticeably faster and it doesn't seem to detect data at all when doing so. Reason I'm wondering if you could do such is because I would like to be able to enter the proxy server on other devices instead of relying solo y on the "DefaultTTL" Trick because while that helps the proxy server on FoxFi plus that pretty much bypasses everything including throttling. As far as I'm aware yes I know proxy's are only HTTP based so only stuff coded with such or whatever will only work. But if I'm streaming movies and downloading stuff with the TTL trick. Then the Proxy would help direct the traffic that's not being used aka throttled for the HTTP or HTML based content. thus you would be set up I know this is a lot to go through but hey I got free time XD.

Upvote 0
Proxy's ONLY do HTTP/HTTPS traffic and cannot be forced to use anything else. What you want is a SOCKS Proxy or VPN.

Honestly, just buy a Nexus 4 for like 50 dollars and use that until we have root. I have unlimited tethering from that using "Wifi Tether Router". But until we have root, we will have to resort to using TTL tricks.

Here's how the router trick works.
Host machine shares internet with the router, and all traffic that comes through the traffic is masked as if it came from the host machine meaning the TTL trick has to be applied on the host computer and not the router. The host machine connects to your phone.

If your router has DD-WRT, you could set the router to client mode and connect to your phones hotspot and apply the TTL settings to the router, then you could connect another router to that one and host a wifi network. Personally I just use a laptop with a router, but I could do it the other way too.

Upvote 0
Could even go with htc desire 530 or samsung galaxy On 5. Both rootable with instructions on xda website. both cheaper then the zmax pro after metropcs three month thing they have in stores. I'm likely going to do either of those two, the nexus 5 would have to be sim unlocked unless you bought it already sim unlocked, seen on amazon. other options in case zmax turns out to be totally unrootable.

Upvote 0
I just use a Nexus 4. The Nexus 4 has a LTE modem but you need to flash a custom modem firmware to enable it.
Cyanogenmod actually attempts to provide unlimited tethering and I've found that just simply using the FoxFi hotspot on my CM 12.1 Nexus 4, I am able to use it as much as I want.

It's also worth noting that I get around 13 hours of non-stop hotspot on a single charge from that phone, even more if I turn the hotspot off when I'm not using it.

Upvote 0
@anubis2048 Did you get the 10$ sim card from metropcs for the nexus?
No, I just used a SIM adapter. Zmax Pro uses a Microsim while the Nexus uses a mini sim. To activate the Nexus 4 I just called MetroPCS help number and pressed # until I got to speak to a real person and then I just told them that I was upgrading my phone and they activated the Nexus for me lol.

Upvote 0
They are all over the place. You can try ebay or amazon. Infact let me just link you here.
https://www.amazon.com/Nano-Sim-Micro-Standard-Adapter/dp/B009AQLWMA
Write down the SIM number on a piece of paper and call MetroPCS and hit # until you reach a real person and then tell them that you upgraded your device. They will want your account pin and sim number, then they want the IMEI of the new device. It's free to change devices, so go ahead.

Upvote 0
Hello all, thanks for contributing, this thread has been most helpful.

I've succeeded in gaining unlimited hotspot to my laptop by using FoxFi and changing the DefaultTTL to hex 65 on my laptop, as suggested. So far i've only had success by using the FoxFi hotspot, and only after clicking Run Proxy in the FoxFi settings and then setting my web browser use the proxy/port that FoxFi sets it to. My speeds are the same downloading on laptop through the FoxFi hotspot as they are when im downloading something directly to my cellphone from 4g, and I just downloaded a ~700 mb file to my laptop in about 25 minutes which NO change to my recorded hotspot data usage. :D stoked

I feel like I'm halfway there.. NOW what I'd like to figure out is how to configure the settings on my torrent client of choice (utorrent or Flud) to work with the proxy FoxFi imposes. Can anyone tell me how to best configure the proxy settings of UTorrent? I'm largely ignorant in this regard; not sure whether to enter it as an HTTP proxy, a SOCKSV4, HTTPS, etc.. or what to put for te listening port. Any help would be very.. helpful :D

Upvote 0
Hello all, thanks for contributing, this thread has been most helpful.

I've succeeded in gaining unlimited hotspot to my laptop by using FoxFi and changing the DefaultTTL to hex 65 on my laptop, as suggested. So far i've only had success by using the FoxFi hotspot, and only after clicking Run Proxy in the FoxFi settings and then setting my web browser use the proxy/port that FoxFi sets it to. My speeds are the same downloading on laptop through the FoxFi hotspot as they are when im downloading something directly to my cellphone from 4g, and I just downloaded a ~700 mb file to my laptop in about 25 minutes which NO change to my recorded hotspot data usage. :D stoked

I feel like I'm halfway there.. NOW what I'd like to figure out is how to configure the settings on my torrent client of choice (utorrent or Flud) to work with the proxy FoxFi imposes. Can anyone tell me how to best configure the proxy settings of UTorrent? I'm largely ignorant in this regard; not sure whether to enter it as an HTTP proxy, a SOCKSV4, HTTPS, etc.. or what to put for te listening port. Any help would be very.. helpful :D

The DefaultTTL mod + FoxFi is sufficient enough for everything except YouTube. You need a proxy for that.

Upvote 0
Well the FoxFi/DefaultTTL combo only works for me when I click "Run Proxy" within FoxFi and then configure my web browser to the proxy selected by FoxFi.. this isn't a problem, it's just that I'm unsure how to configure uTorrent to the same proxy, and can't get it to download anything. I suppose looking for uTorrent specific help would be a better bet, thanks

Upvote 0
Well the FoxFi/DefaultTTL combo only works for me when I click "Run Proxy" within FoxFi and then configure my web browser to the proxy selected by FoxFi.. this isn't a problem, it's just that I'm unsure how to configure uTorrent to the same proxy, and can't get it to download anything. I suppose looking for uTorrent specific help would be a better bet, thanks

If you are using Wifi mode on FoxFi and you have the DefaultTTL mod on your PC, there is no reason why torrenting shouldn't work. I use Tixati to torrent and I have not had a single issue.

FoxFi USB mode I don't know.

I don't know what you mean by Proxy, FoxFi doesn't have one.

Upvote 0
I won't lie. I've considered getting the Stylo 2 just for the root option to use the wifirouter app, but keep the zmax pro until a root is found and confirmed working, then swap over to the zmax as it's the better option between that and stylo 2.
I have a stylo 2 ls775 zv6 and i havent seen, heard, or found a root thats actually working without bricking the phone.

Upvote 0
If you are using Wifi mode on FoxFi and you have the DefaultTTL mod on your PC, there is no reason why torrenting shouldn't work. I use Tixati to torrent and I have not had a single issue.

FoxFi USB mode I don't know.

I don't know what you mean by Proxy, FoxFi doesn't have one.

I am using Wifi mode on FoxFi, and have the DefaultTTL mod. When I refer to the proxy in FoxFi, I'm talking about the option in FoxFi entitled Run Proxy. This option only becomes available after clicking to Activate WiFi Hotspot, and can be selected by clicking the button with the 3 white squares in the top right of the FoxFi screen, then clicking Run Proxy in the bottom middle. a window pops up to confirm that Web Proxy is running and says to set your computer browser to the proxy address: 192.168.1.1 port 8000. (this was easy enough for me to do on Mozilla Firefox, I just cant correctly set the proxy address in my uTorrent preferences)

So far using the "proxy option" in FoxFi and configuring my browser to match the proxy address has been the only way i've been able to successfully connect and surf on a browser, i just haven't been able to torrent yet. I'll try the client you use :)

----EDIT----

installed Tixati and began downoading a torrent right away without changing any config. hotspot data still not recording! problem solved, as far as I'm concerned, thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am using Wifi mode on FoxFi, and have the DefaultTTL mod. When I refer to the proxy in FoxFi, I'm talking about the option in FoxFi entitled Run Proxy. This option only becomes available after clicking to Activate WiFi Hotspot, and can be selected by clicking the button with the 3 white squares in the top right of the FoxFi screen, then clicking Run Proxy in the bottom middle. a window pops up to confirm that Web Proxy is running and says to set your computer browser to the proxy address: 192.168.1.1 port 8000. (this was easy enough for me to do on Mozilla Firefox, I just cant correctly set the proxy address in my uTorrent preferences)

So far using the "proxy option" in FoxFi and configuring my browser to match the proxy address has been the only way i've been able to successfully connect and surf on a browser, i just haven't been able to torrent yet. I'll try the client you use :)

----EDIT----

installed Tixati and began downoading a torrent right away without changing any config. hotspot data still not recording! problem solved, as far as I'm concerned, thanks!

now if i could just get it to download faster than 120kb/s... >_<

Upvote 0
**UPDATED**
** 01/10/17**
STILL WORKING AS OF JANUARY 10th 2017
Credit - Me

This method is VERY fast and VERY easy if you are on the go or if you don't care for gaming.
What you need :
Windows XP or higher / Linux hasn't been tested
UltraSurf

Hope you guys enjoy!

Ok, don't know what unlimited tethering does. There's a lot of public wifi now. I would have needed this on my hack GPS when public wifi is non existent back in 2007. But I googled what ultrasurf does so thanks.

Your post is helpful for me in that I can post now in a forum I was banned. o_O using ultrasurf. :p

Way way easier than those proxy website I used to use no hassle at all. Although I must say I encountered a lot of HTTP errors until I find the culprit.

Upvote 0
now if i could just get it to download faster than 120kb/s... >_<

Again, it works fine for me. Sometimes the torrent it's self is slow. I've gotten 4MB/PS downloads. Very wonderful :p

Ok, don't know what unlimited tethering does. There's a lot of public wifi now. I would have needed this on my hack GPS when public wifi is non existent back in 2007. But I googled what ultrasurf does so thanks.

Your post is helpful for me in that I can post now in a forum I was banned. o_O using ultrasurf. :p

Way way easier than those proxy website I used to use no hassle at all. Although I must say I encountered a lot of HTTP errors until I find the culprit.

Hey, don't go on here saying that, it might upset the mods lol
A lot of websites already ban the UltraSurf IP addresses. It's easier to go on HideMyAss and look at their public proxy list. Each proxy only works for about a day so you can pretty much guarantee that it hasn't been banned from anywhere.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones