• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unlink Phone Numbers

Duckster

Android Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2010
When I look at my contacts list, can see links between Device and Google. I like the Google Directory on my contact list so I selected it and started to remove the link (chain icon) option of Device. However, since I have over 400 contacts listed, I need to find a faster way to "unlink" them, or I will be here all day!

Thus my question: is there a way to "unlink" all contacts at once or do I have to continue one at a time? I want to unlink them because I have the Google directory selected to show, but it also shows Device, which causes me duplicate phone numbers in my contact list.

Thanks.

Put your phone in airplane mode. Export to a csv file. Go to Google Contacts delete all your contacts. Make sure you don't have any duplicate contacts or links in the csv file (there shouldn't be). Import the file.

Delete all the contacts in your phone (Application manager, contacts, clear data), turn off airplane mode and when the phone syncs all your contacts will be Google contacts.

Reactions: Duckster
Upvote 0
Thank you very much for the response. It worked very well and your instructions were easy to follow!

I'm curious as to how this happened, if anyone cares if they have the same issue, or if it even matters (am I losing any benefits by having it on device and google)? I just didn't need to see all of those extra icons next to my contact's name. It was also a pain to see so many of the exact same numbers showing up when I looked at my contact's phone numbers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones