1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Unlinking an email address from phoneSupport

1. collint25

collint25 New Member

I'm trying to unlink an email from my phone, but it says the email is required for some applications. Is there anyway i can find out what apps require my email address? My only other option is to factory reset but i would rather not do that.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor

All Android phones must be linked to a GMail account, so if you are trying to unlink the phone from it's primary Google account you are out of luck. I believe a factory reset is the only way to change the primary account to another GMail account.

If it's a secondary email account, I don't know why you couldn't remove it. Most secondary emails are stand alone accounts that can be accesses by apps (share menu, etc) but not linked. I know "quick upload" in the gallery links to an email account but other than that.... Maybe someone else will have an idea.
  3. lennydude

lennydude Well-Known Member

I agree with Doit2it.
    Try going into the Android Market, press the left most hard key and select accounts. This should show you the gmail account the phone is set up to use. If there is more than 1 account, make sure it defaults to the main account and then try uninstalling the account you are trying to uninstall.
    The phone requires the main account however.
  4. collint25

collint25 New Member

I have 2 emails currently set on the phone. The one I'm trying to delete is not connected to the andriod market, yet i still cannot delete it. As suggested by Doit2it, I checked to see if any email was connected to "photo gallery", but there was none. Can anyone else think of any other apps that may require the use of an email?
  5. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor

Is it a GMail account, or something else (Hotmail, Comcast, etc)?

Where are you trying to "unlink" the account? Are you simply trying to delete it under "My Accounts" on the phone?
  6. collint25

collint25 New Member

Both are gmail accounts. And yes I'm attempting to delete the email via settings < accounts.
  7. bandcbell

bandcbell New Member

choose apps and then select gmail.
    choose the account you wish to delete or unlink and select it.
    Then choose gmail sync is on or off.
    choose the account again you wish to dlelete and tap it. then choose remove account from the bottom right and the account will be unlihnked. Took me a while to figure it out and maybe there is a shorter way but it works!