• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unlock a cheap GoPhone?

Puddy Tat

Jan 31, 2013
Cold Michigan
No cheap GoPhone area in the phones forums so....
I found a website that after you enter some info about your phone they sell you the unlock code for that phone. I'm not cheap just poor, so I was interested in a less costly way(free?)to unlock a $17.00 AT&T GoPhone.
Is that possible or is it only a pay for thing?
PT

Unlocking services are risky imo. You stand the chance of paying and still having a locked phone.
With all the crooks on the web today, that would not surprise me.
The one that I really had a hard time believing was someone's statement to just call AT&T and ask for an unlock code. Why would they ever do that?

Upvote 0
With all the crooks on the web today, that would not surprise me.
The one that I really had a hard time believing was someone's statement to just call AT&T and ask for an unlock code. Why would they ever do that?

If you are under contract and you satisfy the contract, they usually will just give you the code. GoPhones aren't the same thing in their eyes, so I don't think they give out those codes, but heck, why not make a phone call and ask? What's the worst that can happen? They laugh at you? ;)

One of the other reasons why they will give out an unlocking code is if you are travelling overseas and want to use a local sim while travelling. Many times they will give a contract phone an unlock code for travelling. Again, I don't think they do this for GoPhones, but it might just get you your code. :dontknow:

And, if AT&T give you the code, they don't charge for it, so it should really be the first call you make. ;)

Upvote 0
Very interesting. Never gave it a thought about going out of the country and having AT&T unlock the phone for you. I did read another statement about getting an unlock from the provider but that person stated you would most likely only get it for a contract phone and if you have been with the provider for some time.
I did find an unlocking web site that listed a 100% guarantee and used paypal so IF they don't come through paypal covers the cost.
But, I sure will try the call to AT&T and find out if they will be nice or they will fall off their chairs and giggle on the floor.

Upvote 0
Well, a little update. AT&T did not giggle themselves out of their chairs but did state you had to be a contract customer for some time. They did not think there were any unlock codes for a GoPhone. So that ended that.
The unlock company I went with came back in a day and a half and stated he could not generate any code so they gave me a refund.
Well I figured that was that until I found a web page that stated this is all you have to do to unlock a GoPhone. It was the exact model of Samsung phone I have. Did just what they had listed on the site and put the T-Mobile sim card in and IT WORKED. No message "invalid sim." network showed up and it works. So there was a way, all you had to do is search for about 1/2 a day on the web.

Attachments

• Phone unlock3.jpg
    Phone unlock3.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
According to the unlock policy on their website, they will unlock prepaid phones after 6 consecutive months of payment.
Yes, I saw that also. I think they were more or less brushing me off because I had just "joined" AT&T with that phone and they wanted the service. Well, nothing against them other than you have to pay $25.00 for a card that gives you three months of service. T-Mobile is $10.00 for three months. Since this sim is used in a tracker that needs time not minutes it only makes sense to go with T.
I really hope I never have to use the tracker to find my quadcopter, but, you never know.
PT

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones