• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unlockable Bootloader for Xoom

eulerphi8

Jul 21, 2010
Motorola Motorola Mobility
.@RobBull the XOOM will have an unlockable/relockable bootloader that will enable developers to access hardware for development

Well this certainly is interesting...just saw this on my twitter feed. New policy from Motorola hopefully? I might have to consider getting another Moto phone is this does indeed pan out and they allow developers access. How strict they implement this policy is going to be key though.

Anyway not very useful for the DX unfortunately but hopefully a sign of something to come.

If in fact this is true, my decision to get the Xoom, wifi only will be that much easier!

Also, I have no doubt that the X will see an unlocking as well. Probably not endorsed by Motorola, but will happen in a dark alley somewhere...:D

There was a rumor awhile back about a maintenance ota that would give the ability to unlock the bootloader at the expense of the warranty. With EOL around the corner, and now the xoom unlock, maybe we'll see some truth to the rumor.

Either that or google said if you want 3.0 first, it needs to be stock and not encrypted

Upvote 0
This is fantastic news - saw it on my twitter a while ago. This was about the only thing that kept me from really wanting the Xoom. Barring lousy reviews, I will seriously consider picking up the wifi only version now. Given its position as a top tier tablet, if it's really an open bootloader, I bet this will be the go-to tablet for the devs.

Perhaps Moto is making nice with Google developers in preparation for the rumored upcoming Motorola "Google Phone"/Nexus replacement?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones