Unlocked captivate with European SIM: GPS works? Need data plan?

Last Updated:

1. dseps

dseps Member This Topic's Starter

I have an unlocked captivate and am travelling to Germany and Switzerland.

I have a German T-D1 pay-as-you-go sim that I've used many times in unlocked GPS phones. Now I have an AT&T captivate and wonder whether GPS or other apps will work. Does GPS require a data plan to work? If so I'll have to figure out whtehter I can add this to my T-D1 plan.

This will also answer my question about whether using the Captivate for navigation in the US needs a data plan to work.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. kejlyCZ

kejlyCZ Well-Known Member

What do you mean with GPS?
    GPS (global positioning system) doesn't need data to work. Offline navigations (like Sygic Mobile Maps, Navigon, NDrive and others) also don't need data plan to work. Google Maps download its maps from internet, so it needs data enabled.
    Basically, you can check the permissions via "Settings / Applications / Show permissions / full internet access" to see, which applications need data connenction (but some apps need data just to check updates or show ads)

3. dseps

dseps Member This Topic's Starter

thanks. I think I need an offline GPS Android app. Any suggestions?

And since your in the Czech republic, do you know if T-Mobil in Germany offers a xtra-karte with Data Plan?

Thanks!

4. kejlyCZ

kejlyCZ Well-Known Member

If you buy the xtra-karte, internet access for 9 eurocent per minute is already activated:
    Prepaid-Tarife | Telekom
    Together with the xtra-Karte you can also optionally buy the "Xtra web'n'walk Starter" with 10 Euro prepaid credit (2 days surfing included) and access the internet for 4,95 Euro per day (0:00 - 24:00) :
    Handytarif Xtra web'n'walk DayFlat | Telekom
    Viel Spa