Unlocked G1 "No Sim Card"Support

Last Updated:

1. devoduo

devoduo Member This Topic's Starter

Just recieved a brand new unlocked G1 but for some reason it is not reading the sim card. I have tried several and none work. All were on ATT of course but that shouldnt matter. Any ideas? I also notice there are only 4 pins total on the sim connector. 3 in the back and 1 on the left side in the front. Is this normal? I know several other phones have 6 and ATT said they should have 6. Can anyone confirm this? Any help also? Much appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. devoduo

devoduo Member This Topic's Starter

bump anyone?

3. phartiphukborlz

phartiphukborlz New Member

I actually am having the same problem. Searched the web and found this post.

The thing is I've been using an old Cingular sim in this phone with no problems for the past few months and just recently upgraded because of some errors. The second I activated the new AT&T sim and booted up it would not connect to the network. I can still use wifi and I'm pretty sure it connects to their edge network.

I called AT&T this morning and they said they couldn't find the htc dream (wouldn't even talk to me when I said the device was a Tmo G1) in their system to look for compatibility. She said that the SIM i was using was their most up-to-date and it might be too advanced for the phone. I laughed but I came into work and tested another one of our old Cingular sims and it still works fine. I'm trying to locate a Tmo sim to try.

4. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

are you sure the phone is unlocked?

5. phartiphukborlz

phartiphukborlz New Member

With mine I'm sure. In the US, AT&T bought Cingular so all legacy Cingular sims just carried over to their new AT&T accounts. I have used a Cingular sim in this phone for the past two months and similar Cingular sims (from employees who haven't upgraded) still work.

My AT&T sim works fine in the Nokia it came with as well as my workmate's HTC Diamond so it's definitely not the sim itself.

These are work sims so I don't have a whole lot of access to customer service (only HR can call) but I did have them add the imei number of my G1 to the account and still no dice. I think it has something to do with it saying the Sim is locked (PUK?) I'm not sure how that works as the sim is fine in other phones but the two codes customer service gave me to try did not unlock it while in the G1.

So: Tmo sims work just fine, a Cingular sim works as well to register on the network - i've tried two of our AT&T 3g sims and neither are recognized. Perhaps I need to call them back for another PUK unlock code?

6. AtomicArts

AtomicArts New Member

Hi Everyone,

I have a similar problem and would appreciate any advice you can offer.

I recently received my unlocked G1 that I bought off of E-bay. I used it for about a week with my AT&T SIM, until it said, "NO SIM CARD" The first time it did this I turned off the phone, took out the battery and SIM, reinserted and restarted. It worked for a few more days, then it said, "NO SIM CARD" again. I tried repeating this several more times and couldn't get it to recognize the SIM again. After this I went to AT&T and got a brand new SIM which works in my old piece of poo phone but no change in the G1.

Kernal version 2.6.27-00392-g8312baf Dan@Lab709

Build Number dream_devphone-userbug 1.5 CRB21 1447201 test-keys

If anyone could point to a page or offer suggestion on how to get my phone working I would very much appreciate it.