Unlocked Galaxy S in U.S.General

Last Updated:

1. gordonwd

gordonwd Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'd like to get a Galaxy S for software development work and also for personal use. I'll need to use it on the AT&T network occasionally, but don't want to get the Captivate model since AT&T locks it out from installing apps from "unknown sources" (makes it difficult to develop s/w!).

Anyway, the unlocked Galaxies that I've seen for sale don't have what's required to use AT&T's 3G service (they work on T-Mobile, but are mostly for the European/Asian market). The Captivate works on AT&T 3G, but as I said I'd like to stay away from it and also don't want to hack it or unlock it myself, etc.

Is there any solution for this? They don't sell an unbranded, unlocked Galaxy that has the wider range of 3G connectivity?

This isn't really a show-stopper since I don't have or want a full cell phone plan and won't be using it that way except for occasional testing (I'll do most of my web access over WiFi). But if I'm spending $600 for a smartphone I'd like to get the max functionality out of it.

Advertisement
  2. ndame09

ndame09 Member

I am currently using an unlocked galaxy S on ATT's 3G network. The european version of the phone has the 2100 MHz 3G band, which is what ATT uses in most commonly. The galaxy S will not work on T-mobile 3G however, since I believe it requires both the 700 and 2100 MHz bands. (One for upload, the other for download) Hope this helps.

jbk317 and TCC like this.