Unlocked HTC Hero and 2.1

Last Updated:

1. bd528

bd528 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

I'm in the UK and have an unlocked HTC Hero with a o2 SIM.

When the 2.1 Android update is released, will I recieve a pop-up message on my phone like people whose phones are under contract from Orange, etc?

Secondly, the main reason I'd like this update is Google Navigation. I read somewhere this wont be avaliable in the UK. Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member

As far as i know Google navigation will not be available to UK users.

3. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

You should get a pop up, and google nav is available in the UK with a hacked app. I am using it on my Desire.

4. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

What's Google nav like? Better than orange maps?

5. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Don't use orange maps so couldnt say.

6. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Is google nav the 'Navigator' app? The one with Footprints, Navigation, Voice search and so on. I keep hearing people ask about it but I'm not 100% sure.

7. bd528

bd528 Member This Topic's Starter

Yes, thats right.

Lekky, thanks for the answer regarding the pop-up

8. Xyro

Ah ok, in that case I also have it in the UK. It came included with a custom 2.1 ROM but I'm sure someone will make it available to install manually.

Well I had a quick play with Navigator and really, apart from the phone call button, it just seems to be buttons leading to other apps. One opens footprints, some open the google map app to view the map/get directions. The voice search bit is cool but again it just opens the browser. There's also a text based search that opens the browser too.

So basically, if you want to know how it compares to orange maps, just compare it to the google maps you already have.

9. mrbreckles

mrbreckles Member

My question is pretty much the same as the OP's.
    I've purchased a Hero and it's unlocked (im using a Vodafone contract sim) but it's a t-mobile handset.
    Does the fact it's a t-mobile handset mean i will have to wait for a t-mobile version of the 2.1 ROM, or due to it being unlocked, will i get the 2.1 update along with everyone else?
    Just wondering as i really have no idea and this site seems to be the only one i can find that has any useful info about the hero phones that isn't U.S based.
    Thanks for any help

10. Xyro

Yes, you will have to wait for the T-Mobile official firmware if you have a G2.

(Unless you're using custom firmware of course)

11. mrbreckles

mrbreckles Member

Ah poo. Just look on the 'About' screen. T-mobile G2 Touch. Damnit. You reckon they're gonna mess up 2.1 with stupid add-ons nobody wants?
    Another off-topic question; obviously there are guides but just in general, is it easy to apply custom firmware? I'm pretty computer savvy so just want an idea if it's worth doing.

12. Xyro

If I remember correctly the T-Mobile 1.5 firmware wasn't modified much. I think orange are worse for that.

The guides spell everything out for you, so it's not particularly difficult no. But it can be frustrating if you can't get the goldcard + downgrade to work. (And if you're using the latest G2 firmware you will have to make a goldcard).

13. mrbreckles

mrbreckles Member

I'll probably just wait for the t-mobile update then. Im assuming that won't pop-up and i'll have to manually install that when it's released?

14. Xyro

Erm, I'm not sure. In theory I think everybody is getting a pop up offering the over the air update.

15. mrbreckles

mrbreckles Member

Just want to apologise for hi-jacking the thread.
    If i go onto the t-mobile website the only android updates they have on there are for the Pulse. Am i right to assume that they havn't done a heroupdate at all, even if it's one that's older than my current OS release, due to there not being one on the site?

16. Xyro

You're looking at this page, right? Click on Software Updates in stead and you'll see a link to the HTC website, that's where all the network specific updates can be found.

There has been one update. You should check your build number in the settings to see if it matches that update.

17. mrbreckles

mrbreckles Member

Looks like up-t0-date then. Android 1.5 with matching build numbers.
    So even though i'm with Vodafone on my contract, due to it being a T-mobile hansdset, i'll need T-mobile updates when they're released?

18. Xyro

That's right :)

19. JacobJ

JacobJ Member

im geting a hero unlocked and unbranded coming here to america. am i going to be able to update to 2.1 and if so how so?

20. Nearly

Nearly Active Member

If you're getting a hero GSM unlocked you'll only be able to get EDGE speed (2.5) and you can always update when it's officially pushed because you can also download the RUU off the website :)

21. Xyro

Why would you be limited to EDGE?

22. JacobJ

JacobJ Member

yeah why limited to edge? and what about if i root and get villain or something?