• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unlocked HTC Sensation 4G on an AT&T smart phone SIM

55pilot

Jun 3, 2011
What kind of data performance can one expect from an unlocked HTC Sensation 4G on AT&T? Will it get 4G where 4G is available? Will it get HSPA+ where that is available? Or is it strictly a 1G phone outside of T-Mobile due to "Software differences" as the T-Mobile sales person claimed.

Thanks for the info. From the HTC website:

Sensation 4G (T-Mobile): GSM/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

Inspire 4G (AT&T): GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, HSPA+ 850/1900 MHz

I did not realize that all GSM 4G's were not created equal. Seeing this, I wonder what AT&T is planning to do if they are able to acquire T-Mobile (I think it is 50/50 if the merger will be allowed).

The reports in the non-tech-savvy financial media were that AT&T wants to get their hands on T-Mobile's 4G network. But if the 4G's are not compatible and AT&T needs to go and change the equipment on every tower to be able to use it (while still supporting legacy T-Mobile customers per their agreement with the FCC) the purchase does not make any sense.

Upvote 0
From what I remember reading, AT&T would use T-Mo's 1700 band for "LTE", along with some 700 band. T-Mo's 850/1900 Edge would be incorporated into AT&T's 3G (I think). Basically if you have a nice "4G" T-Mo handset, you'll have to get a new one for "4G", if/when merger goes through. Seems like a waste given that T-Mo is building out 42Mbs > 84Mbs > 168Mbs on it's "4G".

Upvote 0
Using any of T-Mobiles phone on AT&T will result in no 3G/HSPA+/4G speeds. You'll be limited to Edge speeds, unfortunately.

Not entirely correct:

http://androidforums.com/t/217819-t-mo-motorola-defy-working-t-3g-850-band-only.html

Defy_att2.jpg

Defy_att3.jpg

Upvote 0
new to the forum and to androids but i read on this forum that the 3g for the samsung galaxy s (vibrant) works with at&t.

http://androidforums.com/samsung-vibrant/155369-t-3g-samsung-vibrant-works.html

Not entirely correct:

http://androidforums.com/t/217819-t-mo-motorola-defy-working-t-3g-850-band-only.html

Thanks for letting me know, I didn't know that (quite evidently) lol :)
I'm new too, ruxpin810

*EDIT*
There is apparently a Sensation 4G unlocked version with AT&T 3G bands. It will work perfect.

Reactions: Soulmanager11
Upvote 0
Hello,

I live out of the US, in Honduras. I recently bought an HTC Inspire and I love it. The 3G networks here are 850 MHz, so after buying an unlocked phone I am having no problem with it. My speedtest results are between 750-1300 Kbps. My plan is to buy a dual core phone, and I am so happy with HTC sense that I might wanna get the Sensation. Now, is there any version of the Sensation that supports 3G on 850 MHz? I heard from a friend that there is one.

Upvote 0
sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I just found that HTC Service menu allows you to select GSM/UMTS band

*#*#4636#*#*

This code can be used to get:

Phone information
Battery information
Battery history
Usage statistics

and under phone information, there is a setting for network selection, allowing toggle between GSM only, CDMA, etc.. This one gives more options than going to mobile network setting through the menu.

Once you enter the code, press the menu button (next to home) you will get the following options:

Select Band Radio | View Sim Address book
-- ------
View Fixed Dialing |View Service Dialing Numers
Numbers
-- ----

Once you chose Select Band Radio, it will ask you for GSM/UMTS band, ranging for Automatic, EURO band, USA Band, Japan, AUS Band, AUS2 band.

I'm wondering if any of these will work on ATT 3G..?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones