unlocked nexus one + new customer quest continues

Last Updated:

1. hotdogwater

hotdogwater Active Member This Topic's Starter

I can't get a straight answer from the reps at tmobile. So I'll ask it here and see if anyone has done this.

1. Buy unlocked nexus one from google
    2. go to tmobile store
    3. get plan for $60 + tax no contract (500mins+text+web)
    4. have happy time

I realize if your an existing customer you can just switch sims and no run around.
    I would be a new customer to t mobile.

The rep told me I had to start it out on an $80 plan then switch it to the $60 I want. Any truth to that?

Advertisement
  2. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

I believe the only plan that's supported for the N1 promotion is the $80. But since you bought an unlocked phone, you should be able to select ANY plan.

3. hotdogwater

yea sooper that's what I can't find out. I would think it's my phone and could get any plan with data of course. Just can't find anyone whose done it as a new customer.

4. AgentCooper

AgentCooper Member

I did this last week without any issues. The only difference is that I did the $80 plan (unlimited minutes/text/data) versus the $60 plan (500 minutes/unlimited text & data).

If you're not bound by contract (or any other purchase terms) then T-Mobile should allow you to select any of the EM+ plans. Forcing you into the $80 plan when all you really need is the $60 plan when you're not under contract *and* you're providing your own phone sounds bogus and I would ask to see documentation outlining the restrictions on why you're unable to sign-up for the $60 plan.

5. nyfinest32

nyfinest32 Well-Known Member

I'm new to T-Mobile. Bought mine unlocked and got the Even more plus plan. 500 mins unlimited data/text. $59.99

6. illutionz

illutionz Well-Known Member

No. Tell him that you want the even more PLUS plan that has no 2 years commitment on that.

7. m5houston

m5houston New Member

no problem here. Unlocked, $60 for 500min with unlimited data/android web package

8. hotdogwater

Thanks everyone for the replies. Seeing m5houston and nyfinest32 have done it answers my question.

9. illutionz

Yeah I went to tmobile this past saturday and signed up for 1000 minutes with unlimited everything else for 69.99 per month NO CONTRACT :) everything is good :rolleyes:

10. afine1

afine1 Well-Known Member

if you bought the phone without a discount you can do whatever you want. tmobile doesn't even have to know what kind of phone you have. i got a sim card while my phone was at home charging. no one a tmobile had a clue what kind of phone i had. and even if they did...i own it...it would not matter.

11. illutionz

This is completely true. The beauty of unlocked phones ;)

12. hotdogwater

Went into the T-mobile store, here's your plan and sim card. Get out!
    It was easy. Thanks!

13. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member

I am on the EMP 500 plan... the $60/month plan.... and I have a Nexus One... so it's completely possible

14. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member

that is a complete lie... T-Mobile people know NOTHING about the Nexus One...

go into a store... Don't even mention Nexus One... tell them you have a phone at home (make one up) and you want to buy the EM Plus SIM card, the one for the $59.99/month 500/unlmtd/unlmtd (talk/txt/web).... Take SIM home, and put it in the Nexus One you bought/will buy... or whatever phone that is unlocked... or T-mobile branded for that matter...

I signed up for EMP 500 with an unlocked iPhone... they even knew I would be using an unlocked iPhone and didn't give me any fuss whatsoever... I since sold the iphone (3GS) and got the Nexus One when it came out... popped the SIM in and it worked immediately, without any issues... data, mms, email, etc.... was already set up ready to go....