Unlocked Orange Hero, Cant Use Internet

Last Updated:

1. gazza0210

gazza0210 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone,

Ive recently bought a htc hero that was on orange but has been unlocked and im using it on o2.

I have a great wifi signal but when i try and go onto the internet ie google etc i just get a default orange message saying it needs to go onto an orange network to access the internet. Ive set the default homepage to google but nothing loads.

Can anyone help PLEEEEASE. I love this phone but there is so many teathing troubles im finding since getting it.

Thanks in advance people.

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

You might have to add the APNs (Access Point Names) for your new network. It sounds like your phone is trying to connect through orange's APN still.

Settings >> Wireless and Network >> Mobile Netowkrs >> Access Point Names

Which networks are listed there?

3. 02keilj

02keilj Well-Known Member

You might find the APNs you are looking for here.
    This appears to be the o2 APN settings.

4. gazza0210

Thanks guys, it works now.

Not sure if you guys know but im on an O2 iphone tarrif but am using the hero instead as I prefer the phone over the iphone. As the Iphone tarrif has unlimited internet will I still get this on the hero now im able to surf the net after putting in the o2 apn settings. ??

Any help appreciated

5. Xyro

I don't see why it should make any difference which phone is actually accessing the internet.

6. michael_84

michael_84 Well-Known Member

I also run a Hero on an iPhone tariff, you won't be able to get MMS until you switch it though, in terms of APN I used these settings:

Name: Whatever you want.. I used o2.uk
    APN: mobile.o2.co.uk
    Username: mobileweb
    Password: password

And that's it, save it and activate it and off you go, as I said MMS won't work until you change your settings with o2 to come off the iPhone tariff.

7. gazza0210

Michael_84

Ive been told by O2 that if I use the phone to access the internet using the sim I had in the Iphone then there is no guarentees that I will get free internet cos the Iphone uses a different kind of internet access on their network compared to a normal mobile phone.

Im halfway through an Iphone contract, obviously on an Iphone tarrif which has the free internet, are you in the same situation Michael and if so have you not been charged for the internet at all ???

any help appreciated.

8. michael_84

My SIM came from my first contract (Nokia) but when I then went for the iPhone they told me to use my original SIM.. I found o2 customer support pants to be honest... took me 6 calls to establish the cause to my MMS problem.

When my iPhone arrived I just sold it straight off and got a hero instead, so been using that now for 5 months no charge on my account and I've got free WiFi thanks to the iPhone tariff.

9. gazza0210

ill have to try it for a while and see what happens.

I thought the Wifi was free on any phone anyways. Its a phone feature and not a network feature aint it ??

10. Xyro

Yeah I'm sure that's just a typo on his part :p It probably should read 3G?

11. michael_84

Sorry when I said WiFi I meant via "the cloud" service, they have them in motorway service stations etc, home wifi is totally free and nothing to do with o2.

12. gazza0210

Thanks for all the help guys.

Much appreciated