• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unlocking a rooted phone.

Motorhomer

Jun 12, 2011
Lancashire, England
I've rooted my Galaxy S2 and all is well. I now need to unlock it. I unlocked my dongle successfully free of charge using advice on the web and want to do the same for my phone.

I downloaded an app for unlocking and it's telling me that the unlock code is 00000000 which seems odd as the unlock code for my dongle was 8 different numbers.

I'm wondering if the 8 zeroes code is because my phone is rooted. Anyone come across this before?

Thanks.

Ps It gave me an unfreeze code which is 8 different digits.

Does seem strange, I used a free app from the play store and it gave me both codes in the matter of minutes, when I eventually got a different Sim card they worked a treat! Can't remember which app it was though.lol

Maybe worth running the app again?

Done that and rebooted as well. It still gives 8 zeroes as the code. I may risk it and try it!

The odd thing is that it says that this is the code. It doesn't say "Can't find a code" or words to that effect.

Upvote 0
The plot thickens! I thought I'd give it a try and put in my wife's sim card. It worked immediately without any unlock codes. I'm on T-Mobile UK by the way.

It has since occurred to me that Orange and T-Mobile in the UK are now the same company so perhaps they're sharing connections?

It looks a though I'll have to find a chum who's neither on Orange or T-Mobile and see what happens.

I'd still like to know from our experts what the 8 zeroes signifies!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones