• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help unlocking andriod phones

joe sando

Jan 9, 2011
i work as a bus driver and every now and again we get to keep lost property left on the bus
now I have a couple of nice android phones but alas I can not unlock them due to the new way that they secure

I do I hard reset and whilst I go through the process I get the message please use the email that is registerd to the phone
is there a way round this or is it a case of just throw the phones in the bin?

i work as a bus driver and every now and again we get to keep lost property left on the bus
now I have a couple of nice android phones but alas I can not unlock them due to the new way that they secure

I do I hard reset and whilst I go through the process I get the message please use the email that is registerd to the phone
is there a way round this or is it a case of just throw the phones in the bin?

Sure you better check the conditions of your employment actually. Depending on bus company rules, employees could be required to hand in all lost property found on the bus. And if you don't they might treat it as gross misconduct, or worse, e.g. grounds for dismissal or criminal charges. But again depending on company rules, if lost property is unclaimed, you might be entitled to keep it after 3 or 6 months or something.

Quite frankly I don't think you'll find any help here on AF for trying to circumvent anti-theft measures.

I've lost and left things on buses before now, not phones though, and first did was phone the bus company. I do wonder just how honest the drivers are? Same thing for other modes of public transportation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Whoa Nellie, guys!

What you are going to find is that the police will fill out a report and it stops there. It won't help the original owner. The bus company's lost property policy is fair and common. Don't fault the guy for asking.

It would be great if the authorities (or even the man on the street, as it were) could call the carrier, give them an IMEI or Phone number and have the carrier reunite the owner with their phone, but they don't do that. Even if you turn in a branded phone at a carrier store they just hold it until claimed (or, most probably not) and then dispose of it. They'd much rather sell the person who lost it a new phone.

So, the police won't locate the owner, the carrier won't and Google won't, what do you want the poor bus driver to do?

As to the OP's question, but as Mike pointed out, you won't get much help for bypassing security here. Even in legit circumstances, it's there for a reason and any methods to bypass it would most likely be used for nefarious reasons much more often than not.

Reactions: Jfalls63 and svim
Upvote 0
I don't know, I usually don't judge other's morality.

I wouldn't feel great taking possession of someone's nice phone, which they'd accidentally left on a bus. I just put myself in the position of the phone's owner, and I wouldn't like to lose a phone in this way.

And then you have to ask the question, why hasn't the phone's owner contacted the bus company in two months? Or did they, and some delinquent employee ignored or forgot them?

But however common this policy is, it still surprises me that the company does this, and doesn't hand it over to the police. After all, the police are another point of contact for the original owner to try and locate their lost phone.

Just my view, we all have them ;)

Reactions: kieseyhow
Upvote 0
And then you have to ask the question, why hasn't the phone's owner contacted the bus company in two months? Or did they, and some delinquent employee ignored or forgot them?

There are foreigners or tourists who lost theirs items and they have neither time nor patience to personally report it. Those personal items are usually insured so they could get a new phone later after the vacations.

Upvote 0
If a lost phone hasn't been claimed in two months the overwhelming odds are its owner isn't ever going to be following up on it. Considering a smartphone's integration into our daily lives that's more than enough elapsed time. In the real world a smartphone owner might actually attempt to retrieve their lost property within a time frame of up to a couple of weeks but even after a month or so?

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
But however common this policy is, it still surprises me that the company does this, and doesn't hand it over to the police. After all, the police are another point of contact for the original owner to try and locate their lost phone.

Not really. The police are not there for property recovery. The only reason a person would contact the police would be to have a copy of a theft report for insurance claims, assuming they filed one.

If a lost phone hasn't been claimed in two months the overwhelming odds are its owner isn't ever going to be following up on it.

I'd have to agree with that. I'd say if it isn't claimed in the first week, it's probably not going to be claimed. At this point it's just a matter of who gets to dispose of it, Joe, the bus company or the police.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones