Unlocking at&t X10aSupport

Last Updated:

1. charlyee

charlyee Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Has anyone been able to get an unlock code from at&t? Typically that I is how I always get them but today the CS rep said that the X10a was on the same list as iPhone and no unlocking was allowed.

Can this be true, I would like to get it unlocked prior to my overseas travel next month.

Please help.

Thanks much :)

Advertisement
  2. powerkiter

powerkiter Well-Known Member

No idea but from what I have read at&t do lock their phones to the point it's like a parent not letting their kids out of the house.

I have the i model and all I do know is that they use a different antenna to the a models, so unsure how well they work outside of america?

3. charlyee

Thanks it has all the proper frequency and so should work, maybe not as finely tuned as the I would. There are unlocking services on the web but the cost is quite high - $75.

I guess in the worse case I could travel with my BB, but sure would be nice if I could take this.

4. powerkiter

If your that desperate you could root it so it would be a generic X10a which would also allow you to side load apps but it would ruin your warranty so be warned!

Double check that a generic X10a would run on at&t first before rooting though!

5. wynney666

wynney666 Well-Known Member

can you unroot a rooted phone? out of interest

6. powerkiter

I have yet to try...

But by all accounts and assuming you used the 2-3 step root process from XDA, then you simply rerun the first step to flash the generic firmware back onto the phone then run SEUS and repair the phone and it's meant to give you a stock phone again but not done it yet.

Plus at&t seem so harsh I would worry about rooting one of their phones in case they wont allow a repair from generic firmware to at&tware...

7. charlyee

I see the difference, the *l* verson has all 3 Euroasian 3G frequency, and the att version has only the 2100. I think that will work.

Powerkiter, thanks I am not that desperate. I only need it twice a year for a 3 week stretch. like you said att will probably not look very kindly on that.

8. BingoRingo

BingoRingo Well-Known Member

charlyee likes this.