Unlocking AT&TSupport

1. cchukan

cchukan Member

Quick question guys,

I currently live in American, will be living in Europe for 24 months. How do I unlock my phone from AT&T so I can just go to Europe and buy a pre-paid sim card? AT&T said they won't give me the unlocking code since I haven't finished my contract...If I "root" does that mean I'm unlocking the phone?

Thanks for the help guys!:D

Advertisement
    :
  2. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Root will be needed most probably. Check XDA forums, they have some unlocking tools.
  3. cchukan

cchukan Member

4. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

5. mrhomiec

mrhomiec Well-Known Member

if a site is selling you an unlock code, it is most likely legit. at that point, it becomes a price matching war. go with whoever you feel comfortable paying to.

as for AT&T not providing you an unlock code, that's very weird. i became a brand new AT&T 2-year contract customer when i purchased the S3, and i received an unlock code for free after 2 weeks of service.

when you requested the unlock code, how did you do it? did you go into a store? if so, they can't help you at all with unlocking. call AT&T or chat with AT&T. i went with chatting, and the agent i was chatting with just gave me an unlock code without asking for a reason. if you call/chat and they still don't give you an unlock code, try to call/chat again. and keep trying. i've read a few stories on XDA where people had to try back 5+ times before they received an unlock code. also, tell them you will be traveling to Europe.
  6. tchen811

tchen811 Well-Known Member

AT&T will give you an unlock code. However, you must have the phone for at least 90 days (at least that's what I've been told). I was given the unlock code over their web chat with technical support. I would try again via the web chat.
  7. motoracer1486

motoracer1486 Well-Known Member

I was curious if they'd give me the unlock code via chat. I got denied. Said the device is still under contract and therefore doesn't meet the unlocking requirements.

By the way, a lot of websites will give you the unlock code if you pay for it:

Unlock Samsung Galaxy S3 III - How to Unlock Galaxy S 3 III by Unlock Code - SGH-i747, SGH-T999, GT-i9300

And try this (Edit: this only works for the international S3, sorry):
    [25/06/2012][TOOL] Samsung Network/Sim Unlock Code Generator/Patcher (SGS1/2/3) - xda-developers
  8. mrhomiec

asking for an unlock code from AT&T is hit or miss.

i got very lucky and it was provided to me on my first attempt.

if you don't want to pay. just keep asking AT&T. eventually you will get someone who will unlock it for you.

but if all else fails, pay one of those websites to get an unlock code.
  9. parishmc

parishmc Well-Known Member

i have a GS3 on a new 2yr contract less than 15 days old and at&t just
    have me the unlock code using the international support chat.
    the whole thing took less than 10 minutes.
  10. cchukan

cchukan Member

How? They ask tell you that it's not possible because they only it give it out after 2 years of contract...what did you tell them?
  11. mrhomiec

just log into your AT&T account. start up the International Web Chat. and just ask for an unlock code.

i did the same thing. 14 days into my new contract, and they gave it to me- no questions asked.

if they tell you 'no', leave the chat and try again.
  12. parishmc

parishmc Well-Known Member

that's exactly how it happened, i said i need to unlock
    my phone for my upcoming international vacation.
    i was expecting trouble but it was a piece of pie. all
    i need now is a tmobile sim to see if it actually works :confused:

it did say at the top of the chat box that they do not
    provide an iPhone unlock code using the chat.
  13. 2evil

2evil New Member

First post here:
    I am going to Cabo next week and called AT&T to ask about international travel and they gave me the instructions how to unlock and gave me the code no problems either.
    BTW Great board here thanks for all the help. I'm a long time lurker lol