Unlocking/De-branding/Rooting/Flashing

Last Updated:

1. kolipe

kolipe Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all, I am completely new to open source. I have no idea as to what the above terms mean. All I want is FroYo and all other updates without having to wait for the carrier (O2) to release. O2 are useless in releasing updates. And also I need to be able to use the phone with any sim.

Can someone help as to how to go about achieving this?

Apologies if this is dealt somewhere else. I would be happy read about it if you point me to the relevant thread.

Thanks.

HTC Desire with O2 still on 2.1

Advertisement
  2. LECTER

LECTER Well-Known Member

Might want to look here. ;)

Desire - All Things Root - Android Forums

kolipe likes this.
  3. L60N

L60N Member

Buy an unlock code before you start messing, it will save you from a near heart attack further down the rabbit hole.

I got mine from this chap (no relation / not pimping his shop, but he supplied me a working code within 10mins) :

eBay My World - express-codes

kolipe likes this.
  4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Unlocking-removing the SIM Lock to your carrier, often using a code.

Debranding-The process of removing all carrier added branding (Splash screens etc) This will not remove any sim lock

Rooting- The process of obtaining root access to the phone's operating system (Basically admin permissions) This will mos likely involve flashing a new Operating system (ROM) with the permissions already added. This will be a generic rom with no branding (or a custom rom if you choose) - This will debrand if you choose on non-branded rom, but your simlock will remain.

Flashing - The process of installing a ROM or update to the internal memory, which you would not usually have access to do.

I would expect with a generic, debranded rom, you should get the froyo update Over the Air.

kolipe likes this.
  5. teppic74

teppic74 Well-Known Member

O2 will provide an unlock code for free if you're on contract.

You can either wait until September for the O2 branded update or debrand for froyo now.

kolipe likes this.
  6. jay_kay

jay_kay Well-Known Member

If I can use other sim cards in my phone ok does that mean that mine is not simlocked?

Thinking of rooting mine and dont want to waste

7. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Yes, if you can switch sims from different carriers and make / receive calls (excluding emergency calls), its unlocked.

jay_kay likes this.
  8. kolipe

kolipe Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am hoping to root the desire and installing a custom rom to get the froyo update.

however, i am not sure how to pick a custom rom.

can u suggest me a few and where to get it? I want the rom with htc sense and reasonably stable. hope u can help.