Unlocking Droid With Out Power Button

Last Updated:

1. WhiteyHimself

WhiteyHimself New Member

I'm new here. I just got my droid yesterday. I looked threw the forums and I see people asking for apps that change how the slide works. Im okay with the sliding I just cant stand hitting the power button to turn on the phone. I wanted to know if theres a app thst disables the need to hit the power button so all I have to do is slide my finger across the screen and it turns on? Sorry if somebody posted this I did look for the answer but I didn't see one.

Advertisement
  2. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW DROID! :D

The whole point of the power button is to prevent the Droid from inadvertently turning on and calling people when you don't want it to. So when the phone is "asleep", everything is shut down... including the screen. There's no way I know if that you can power up the phone by touching or swiping the screen; it would defeat the purpose of the power button.

My previous phone was an LG Dare, which had a simple "touch to unlock" and it was notorious for "butt calling" people. The extra work to power up the phone (i.e. the power button) prevents that.

You can also power the phone up by sliding the keyboard out and back in, but that's your choice.

Enjoy your Droid!
  3. WhiteyHimself

WhiteyHimself New Member

Thanks. I love the phone so far. I guess I just got to get used to it. I only have one other problem with the phone and that is when my phone is in my leather case holder it has a magnet in it and it turns my phone on to multimedia and draining the battery. I am waiting on a reply from Verizon on there case that they say is for the phone to see if it does it as well.
  4. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Yeah they DO have a special case with a velcro closure. Got it when I bought my Droid. I'm surprised they didn't offer it to you when you got yours.
  5. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Try Shaker. It's not my cup of tea, but you can try. You might wanna try living with the power button for a bit though. After a while it becomes muscle memory and you don't even notice you're doing it! :)
  6. bradley975

bradley975 Active Member

Whitey:

Try a program called myLock. You still have to use the power button but it allows you to skip the drag button across the screen. Love the function of this program.
    bugeyeblue and XtremeAaron like this.
  7. brnr17

brnr17 Well-Known Member

its a great idea, but got to be really laggy when installed on my phone so i uninstalled
  8. Gzr

Gzr New Member

Try screenmodewidget. It prevents the screen from going into lock mode so you do not have to use the slide to unlock screen. Pressing the power button, camera button or the volume button will turn on the screen. As I pull the phone out of my holster I usually hit the volume button and the phone is ready to use.

The widget can be toggled between, off, screen always on, or screen times out normally.
  9. Joewoowoo

Joewoowoo Well-Known Member

slide the phone open and it will wake up the phone without having to press the power button , then swipe to unlock
  10. JackT

JackT Well-Known Member

Just an FYI - If you like your case, you can always remove the magnet. I pulled mine out through the seams and then just re-stitched it.
  11. boatman

boatman Well-Known Member

The power button is how all the smartphones do this. BB, etc. Turns off screen and puts it into power saving mode.

Further, unless you are very sure you won't lose your phone, or if there is no important data, you might want to use a pattern to unlock it rather than just swipe, only adds another second to it.
  12. Aldo Junior Ao2

Aldo Junior Ao2 Well-Known Member

You should try out the case from Noreve. It has a magnet but does not turn on the phone or activate the media mode. Works great and i always keep it in there because there is no reason to take it out. One of the best case imho if you need a leather book like case. It snaps on not that crappy plastic thingy that covers the keyboard to keep it in place.
  13. kramerica

kramerica Well-Known Member

Not stealing Gzr's thunder, but Screen Mode Widget does exactly what he said it will do. Have used it since the 1st week of owning my droid. Great program.
  14. WhiteyHimself

WhiteyHimself New Member

Thank you guys for all the help. I will try thos apps and I will try and find a case for my phone. I would remove that magnets but not sure it will hold in the phone it kinda moves alot in it. I was a case for my Dash and then I used it for my G1 so it gots some wear on it.