• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unlocking HTC Tattoo on Orange UK

All ok guys. Its done!!!
i followed all the above instructions but with one difference.
No clicdiag.zip copied in the sd card. Only after booting the phone in Hboot mode with the vol-down and power button, i pushed the back button and it took the phone in in usb fastboot mode. After that i plugged the phone via usb cable to the pc and executed the downloaded ''RUU_Click_HTC_WWE_1.67.405.6_WWE_release_signed_NoDriver.exe'' from the pc. After that the update started and the phone became flashed!!!:D
Now the phone has all the availble European languages to select.
Hope this will help other trying to flash their Tattoo's

Could you tell me please, does this image include serbian language too (or croatian)?
(RUU_Click_HTC_WWE_1.67.405.6_WWE_release_signed_NoDriver.exe)

Upvote 0
I have tried with four different sd card and none worked, it's possilbe??
After all the steps I put the sd card in the phone, with clicdiag.zip it loads but after nothing appen, with clicimg.zip it says:
sd checking...
loading...[clicdiag.zip]
no image!
What brand of sd card do you used??
I have also tried the update by fastboot usb mode but the pc give me error 131!

Upvote 0
Typing it for third time now as my bloody Firefox was crashing
WARNING: This is not an official instructions and it may damage your phone. It is completely up to you if to do it or not.

[HOWTO] Create a GoldCard - Bypassing the RUU/SPL CID check to Root/Downgrade If you are stuck on a ROM you don't like (Orange UK/asian carrier etc.) you can use this howto to create a goldcard to bypass the CID checks so you can downgrade and root your HTC Tattoo.

01. Download QMAT 5.06 here
It’s a demo version so will only run for 10 minutes.

02. Format your SD card to FAT32. Please keep in mind some brands of SD cards do not work.

03. Install Android SDK. Use adb to run this command: adb shell cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:*/cid

sdk_cid.JPG

04. Copy the SD card cid code displayed after the adb command.

05. Start Qmat and Click on Cyptoanalysis Tools > Crypto Toolbox.

06. Look at the bottom, there is a text box (beside the “Reverse String” button) enter the SD card cid code you got earlier.
Click on the “Reverse String” button, the result is reversed…
Example: 532600bd227d9c0347329407514d5402

post-142649-1255882516_thumb.jpg

07. Copy the reversed SD card cid code.

08. Go to QMAT goldcard site here (Free G1 goldcard generation !) to generate your goldcard (yes it says for G1 but works for our HTC Tattoo too).

09. Enter your email. For the correct SD card cid code, you need to replace the first 2 characters to 00.
Example: From “532600bd227d9c0347329407514d5402” to “002600bd227d9c0347329407514d5402”.
Replacing is not essential and you may try it if not replacing does not work for you.

10. Click Continue and you will receive the goldcard.img in .zip format in your email.

11. Go to your email, download the zip file and save it to a directory and unzip it to goldcard.img

12. Download HxD Hex Editor from here

13. Install and launch HxD Hex Editor program. (make sure you use "Run as Administrator" under Vista and win 7)

14. Go to Extra tab > Open Disk. Under Physical disk not Logical one, select Removable Disk (Must be your SD card), uncheck “Open as Readonly), click OK.

post-142649-1255882654_thumb.jpg

15. Go to Extra again, Open Disk Image, open up goldcard.img which you’ve saved/unzipped earlier.
Now, you should have two tabs, one is your removable disk, the other is goldcard.img. Press OK when prompted for “Sector Size” 512 (Hard disks/Floppy disks), click OK.

post-142649-1255882916_thumb.jpg

16. Click on goldcard.img tab. Go to Edit tab > Select All, edit tab again > copy.

17. Click on the “removable disk” tab. Select offset 00000000 till offset 00000170 (including the 00000170 line), click on Edit tab and then Paste Write.

18. Click on File > Save. now you can exit the program.

19. Download HTC Tattoo ROM (RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting)

20 . Rename it to CLICIMG.zip and copy to root of your MicroSD.

21. Reboot your phone holding power and volume down buttons with this SD Card (now GoldCard) inside and should bypass CID error.

22. It should now load ROM and start flashing. Do not unplug the phone or touch it until it fully finishes flashing it took 10 minutes for me.

Done.

Credits:
Original heads up by junoreaktor with link to this
That site used the XDA Sapphire goldcard howto here

cheers iliko! I had seen the original thread at xda but your hex editor pics were very helpful :)

I am in Oz, and like a few others - have a malaysian tattoo/click.

I got it to work with the same image but perhaps had a slightly easier time! I am sharing here in case others may find it helpful:

*ADB = WTF? if this is what you are wondering, then you are not alone. It refers to 'android development bridge' that allows your android device to connect to to pc via usb without being in sync or disc drive mode.

What you need to get into ADB.
*The android SDK
*android usb drivers
*ADB mode enabled in your phone and teh variable set up in pc system settings>>>read HOW TO ADB for DUMMIES from xda

>>I found the android usb drivers were already on my system. I have a feeling that the HTC sync app I have installed may have done that... if you have the ADB mode/drivers going properly it will look like this in your device manager:

adbinvista.png

You of course need to have a nice clean/formatted msd card in the phone to get the CID off it using the command line code iliko outlines above. For those curious, I used a a 2GB sandisk micro sdhc card. The original FAT32 formatting and later hex editing was done in windows.

*You dont need to do all that QMAT stuff anymore! Once youve popped in that adb code and got the CID number >> it looks like this

variables.png

*red bits block out personal info and my first attempt which didnt work due to a typo :)

You'll need to write this number down - or better yet type it into a text/wordpad file so you can easily copy and paste it.

Then go to Sooa-'s Goldcard Hex Reversal Page and copy and paste the number in and press 'submit' >>youre reversed number will be generated and you will see a hyperlink to QMATS page where you can generate the gold card code.

Here you will input your email and your reversed number and the prized goldcard.img you are after will be sent to the email you have nominated.

The email seemed to have been sent pretty much instantly.

Then hop over and download the goldcard.img from your email account and follow iliko's instructions for the hex editor stuff. Its pretty easy. You are basically replacing the lines of the goldcard.img into to sd cards existing lines. I had my sd card plugged into my pc via a reader for this bit - as you need to be able to identify 'removable disk' in hex editor as per the instructions. Whether you could have kept the m-sd in the phone and gone over to 'disc drive' mode is something I didnt try.

Once youve authored the edited hex onto the card, IT IS NOW A GOLDCARD!

Now. to get that update.... I fussed about with all that clicimg/diag business and had no luck.

What worked:

*As mentioned I have HTC sync installed. I plugged that in and went into 'htc sync' mode on the phone (ie, not disc drive mode).

From here I just ran the RUU Click HTC WWE 1.67.405.6 WWE release signed NoDriver.exe from the desktop and it rebooted and updated in a civilised manner. No button holds, it just did it business. I then took the goldcard out and replaced my original SD with all my music etc.

Upon rebooting it was great to be asked for UK english and finally see the market there. Even better - it actually worked !! \o/ Gmail, youtube etc all good too.

I hope that was helpful to someone!! It will at least keep us going until 2.01 comes out (see here for more info on that)

cheers Tattooists!

A7

Upvote 0
I'm not able to unlock this phone!!
In the first step I bought the unlock code, the phone says ok but the sim isn't initialized.
In the second stem I have upgraded the rom with RUU Click HTC WWE 1.67.405.6 WWE release signed NoDriver.exe directly from windows with one orange sim and the debug mode. Now I have entered another time the unlock code but the problem it's always the same, the sim isn't initialized and after every roboot I have to enter the serial code.
In the thirt step I have made the gold card. I have tried with five sd cards, sandisk and kingstone. I have tried ranaming in clicimg.zip and clicdiag.zip but I have always error!
What can I do? I'm the only one unable the unlock this phone??!!

Upvote 0
I'm not able to unlock this phone!!
In the first step I bought the unlock code, the phone says ok but the sim isn't initialized.
In the second stem I have upgraded the rom with RUU Click HTC WWE 1.67.405.6 WWE release signed NoDriver.exe directly from windows with one orange sim and the debug mode. Now I have entered another time the unlock code but the problem it's always the same, the sim isn't initialized and after every roboot I have to enter the serial code.
In the thirt step I have made the gold card. I have tried with five sd cards, sandisk and kingstone. I have tried ranaming in clicimg.zip and clicdiag.zip but I have always error!
What can I do? I'm the only one unable the unlock this phone??!!

It will not be unlocked even if you do gold-card method becuase to unloack it we need rooted ROM so to reflash radio module too.
I unlocked it with iSmartSim bought for $3.00 on dealextreme.com ;)

Upvote 0
I have succesfully flashed the phone now with goldcard by fastboot usb mode. I'm sure that now must be ok bacause also radio was flashed but still can't use my Wind (italian) sim!
At every roboot it ask me the unlock code, says "network succesful unlocked" and after it continue to say "unlocking sim card", but it never stops!!
The data of my phone are those:
HBOOT-0.52.0001
MICROP-0203
RADIO-3.35.07.20

What can I do??

Upvote 0
Hello. I followed the steps as closely as I could; however, I am using Ubuntu.

I used gparted to format the MicroSD card, and a program called ImageWriter to write the goldcard.img. The part I am stuck at is booting the device. Note, the work-a-round that some of you have offered to directly call the exe file doesn't work in wine so I have to get the phone to load it.

So I copied the CLICDIAG.zip to the MicroSD card, inserted the card into the phone, and then booted the phone (down volume + power).

HBOOT starts, a progress bar is at the top right hand screen.
It does the following:
* SD Checking...
* Loading ... [CLICDIAG.zip]

After progress bar reaches 100%
* Checking ...[CLICDIAG.zip]
Then it prints out something really quick (can't read it) and then goes back to the main HBOOT screen.

Any idea what might be going wrong?

Upvote 0
Hello. I followed the steps as closely as I could; however, I am using Ubuntu.

I used gparted to format the MicroSD card, and a program called ImageWriter to write the goldcard.img. The part I am stuck at is booting the device. Note, the work-a-round that some of you have offered to directly call the exe file doesn't work in wine so I have to get the phone to load it.

So I copied the CLICDIAG.zip to the MicroSD card, inserted the card into the phone, and then booted the phone (down volume + power).

HBOOT starts, a progress bar is at the top right hand screen.
It does the following:
* SD Checking...
* Loading ... [CLICDIAG.zip]

After progress bar reaches 100%
* Checking ...[CLICDIAG.zip]
Then it prints out something really quick (can't read it) and then goes back to the main HBOOT screen.

Any idea what might be going wrong?

This means gold card is successfully created. You have to use CLICIMG.zip name not CLICDIAG.zip. Try that and let us know.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones