Unlocking mobile phone ?

1. bulldog147

bulldog147 Well-Known Member

Will HTC Desire purchased via T-Mobile be locked to this network, or are these handsets always sold UNLOCKED?

Advertisement
  2. Akalatengo

Akalatengo Well-Known Member

You will get a contract with terms and conditions (via T-Mobile), why will you want to use a different sim card?
  3. Lukehluke

Lukehluke Well-Known Member

It will most likely be locked but you might be able to get it unlocked at the end of the contract or maybe even during it (for a fee).
  4. TimMatrix

TimMatrix Well-Known Member

I do not think it will be locked since as this is against Google's Android policy where it should NOT be locked and be available to any network.

What's the point? Even if you enter into a contract, you'd still be contractually have to pay monthly to the network provider (that you're contracted with)!
  5. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Yes, it will be locked to T-mobile UK
  6. photon00

photon00 Well-Known Member

When abroad for holiday or work, you can buy a pay as you go sim card to phone local friends or call home. I find this very useful!
  7. bulldog147

I just wish that all networks stop locked all mobile phones because everyones in UK can get it unlocked by mobile market shop for
  8. Yenzehn

Yenzehn Well-Known Member

They are locking because they subsidize part of the price.

If you want it unlocked, then pay the full price.
  9. damuffinman

damuffinman Well-Known Member

Fully agree with that. I'm an international student from HK studying over here (UK that is) and I know quite a few number of students, who in their last few months here before graduating, sign the latest and most expensive phones for free, then take all their money and never return.

So yes, you do need to lock the phone :D
  10. tbg

tbg New Member

If someone could please confirm, is this phone locked or unlocked. I spend half my time outside the UK and would love to be able to used a different SIM card on this phone.

Enjoy the new phone looks amazing. Thanks for the Help.
  11. bulldog147

The phone will be locked to t-mobile!
  12. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

It is locked to T-mobile, but unbranded it seems.
  13. Lukehluke

Locking isn't that bad but its good that its unbranded :D
  14. bulldog147

Tmobile say it can be unlocked at one off fee of
  15. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

16. tbg

tbg New Member

Thank you for the information. I will ask T-mobile if they can unlock it, but I assume its a no. Its a great phone, but too large to be one of the two phones I have in my pocket. TBG :cool:
  17. adam.mt

adam.mt Member

First phones have arrived from T-mobile. Apparently just a T-mobile splash screen, are def locked; however, T-mob will unlock for
  18. bulldog147

They won't unlock it until your term of contract is end eg: 12, 18 or 24 months depend on your plan!

But it can easy unlock via the mobile market to unlock the headset but I think it still too early for them to get latest software to unlock HTC Desire headset.
  19. jonokimber

jonokimber Active Member

Hi Bulldog, can you clarify what your last sentence is all about please?!

Thanks

Jono
  20. jonokimber

jonokimber Active Member

21. tackauk

tackauk New Member

t-mob will supply a code to get unlocked after 1 month of ownership!
  22. Quazar

Quazar Well-Known Member

1 month is too long!!! I guess i can wait but it will be hell lol
  23. omegac

omegac Member

Just joined the forum guys, just to let you know, I've tried 3 suppliers so far, and none have been able to supply the code...One is a very reputable supplier I have used many times for BB's, and the code has always arrived within 15 mins, so I guess these are too new....
  24. Lukehluke

1 month isn't that bad.

At least your have the device :D