unlocking nad and full root

Last Updated:

1. d1reyad

d1reyad Active Member This Topic's Starter

i root my phone using thw downgrade to 2.1 and the unrevoked forever this was the first way to root the 2.2 so i did it does this fully root my phone because i can flash any rom but is my nad unlock or do i need to use simplae root to be fully rooted

Advertisement
  2. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

unrevoked forever unlocks NAND (not "nad" lol) permanently. Just flash a rooted ROM and you're all set. You can try the rooted stock 2.2 in my sig.

3. philly0128

philly0128 Well-Known Member

I seen so many post about why not to use unrevoked forever so I skipped that when i did my root, but to be honest I haven't done much research in why you should and what nand is all about...what's the benefits b/c seems to me like I have everything I need to get access to my roms and everything else.

The only thing I question is if not having nand is what's stopping me from being able to remove some stock apps like peeps, friendstream etc. Fresh 3.2 remove the sprint stock apps, but even if I use root explore and change the apk to bak or old when I mount to r/w it says it saved it, but I can still see and access the app.

4. uminchu

uminchu Well-Known Member

Try rebooting the phone and see if they're still there.

5. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

If you only used unRevoked 3 then you only have temporary nand unlock. Yes, this is what is stopping you from removing some apps and it is also recommended you have full nand unlock before flashing Fresh or pretty much any other ROM. You should have used simple root once you downgraded, this would have given you full root and nand unlock but not permanent S-OFF like unRevoked Forever.

6. uminchu

uminchu Well-Known Member

Tsipa, question please. I agree that a completely rooted phone includes an unlocked nand. But as long as he still has superuser access, why would a locked nand prevent him from getting into system/app, remounting for r/w, and removing or renaming a bloat app?

7. novox77

my understanding is (and I could be totally wrong here) is that if the NAND security is not lessened, it does not commit any changes to /system while Android OS is loaded. So even though it appears you can remount with rw, and you see stuff being deleted, it comes back after a reboot.

The workaround (again I could be totally wrong) is to do the modifications from adb in recovery mode. I think NAND security is lessened while the phone is in recovery mode and will allow you to make the changes. That's the reason why ROMs can be flashed with the recovery image.

I was only half-rooted via unrevoked3 for about 1 hour before simplerooting, so this is something I never tested.

uminchu likes this.
  8. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

This is true. I rooted my friend's Incredible with unRevoked 3 and the guide mentioned that the only way to remove Sprint apps was to run adb commands in recovery. I did try to remove these apps through Titanium Backup and Root Explorer but it was obviously a no go. IMO, much better to have full nand unlock.

9. philly0128

I tried this vai adb and recovery, never worked so anyone who want to remove them need to be nand.

I've never used simple root even when I was on 2.1 and had that rooted the 1st time. can the version of simple root in your sig work now for me or is that only working if on 2.1

10. novox77

did you mount /system read/write first?

Simpleroot only works for 2.1. But there's a 2.2 exploit that downgrades you to 2.1. Check the sticky thread in this subforum. Once you're at the point where you are back at 2.1, you can run Simpleroot. Make sure you have Simpleroot check for updates before you root.

11. philly0128

ALL the commands I found to mount read/write failed and I tried alot. so I just gave up after 5 hrs

I used the exploit to get rooted again to 2.2 since froyo had unroot my 2.1.

I was going to run the unrevoked forever to get the nand but I read it wasn't needed and it was unstable. so I didn't look into it anymore...I will check it out again.

12. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

Why not just run simpleroot once you downgrade?

13. novox77

If only unrevoked had been a full root back in the day... all this confusion these days is because of:

unrevoked3 not being full root
    unrevoked forever not really necessary
    unrevoked 3.2 getting pulled
    2.2 rooting method chose to use unrevoked3 and unrevoked forever instead of simpleroot.

oh well. hurry up with the unrevoked 3.2 fix plz so we can just all recommend using that.

GratefulEnergy likes this.
  14. philly0128

tried at 1st I thought I was doing it wrong, after I was done I found that my computer was the problem.

I'll just wait until unrevoked 3.2 is out and check that out. I'm cool for now.

15. d1reyad

d1reyad Active Member This Topic's Starter

I am able to flash any custom Rom after I did this unrevoke root so I guess I am fully rooted but I seen a lot of post saying this is not a full root I was wondering what is the difference I can't connect to N router so that why I ask

16. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

Did you use unRevoked 3 & unRevoked Forever or just unRevoked 3?

17. novox77

based on his OP, unrevoked forever. looks like this thread is going in a loop.

18. GratefulEnergy

GratefulEnergy Member

I've read a couple of times, (I'm no expert), but I believe Peep, Flickr, and a cpl others are so deeply integrated into the Sense UI, that it's to unstable to force remove them anyways, BUT, Sprint Nascar, Nav, Blockbuster, Nova, etc, may be removed without issue.

Hope that helps!

Potent Gratitude,

<a href="http:Twitter.com/GratefulEnergy">@GratefulEnergy on Twitter</a>

19. GratefulEnergy

GratefulEnergy Member

Do you have any idea when that may come?