• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unlocking Samsung Galaxy GT-I7500L Bell/Canada

Hi there, I've a Samsung Galaxy from Bell and I just want to say that it is possible to unlock it.

I unlocked my device two days ago, just calling Bell. After 1 month of contract they can unlock the device walking trough with you by phone, just calling *611.

They also charge 75$ for the unlocking.

I hope this information might be useful.

Alan

Bell is strictly CDMA - had this same issue at least 6 years ago with motorola phones, there's no gsm unlock code, you'll find yourself if you are going the right direction with an encrypted chunk of firmware and poking around almost randomly based on others experiences with other models from bell with some crazy software from quallcomm and honestly there's no hope there... Although it looks as if i'm headed down that path again - but aside from this issue of the encrypted mystery unflashable part of the phone - is it possible the 1700L has GSM hardware that's just not used???????????? How can I be sure - i don't think the other phone flashes would work even if it did, would they?? Am I way off on this but it seems to me bell isn't involved with manufacture and it is possible - is there anyway we can put a generic phone module on there to test for the presence of the GSM hardware? Is the encrypting/decrypting part of the phone a part of the unflashable area so taht this is not possible without modifying it at the digital logic level????? I've been wondering this for too long and your comment about GSM made me laugh because I alwasy regretted having so many 'broken' bell phones and nobody with nice instructions... although these ones are GREAT and i'll suffer with bell cdma for now as i'm excited to think I could even get 2.2 was it? Is that for real or someone else that didn't see the L??

I don't think there is a free way to do it, but I think it costs only $20 from fastgsm.com

At least that's what I heard from someone on the Drakaz forum. Oh, and someone once said that you can buy a special SIM card that will do it, it should be even cheaper than $20.

Never tried any of those though.

Upvote 0
Bell is strictly CDMA - had this same issue at least 6 years ago with motorola phones, there's no gsm unlock code, you'll find yourself if you are going the right direction with an encrypted chunk of firmware and poking around almost randomly based on others experiences with other models from bell with some crazy software from quallcomm and honestly there's no hope there... Although it looks as if i'm headed down that path again - but aside from this issue of the encrypted mystery unflashable part of the phone - is it possible the 1700L has GSM hardware that's just not used???????????? How can I be sure - i don't think the other phone flashes would work even if it did, would they?? Am I way off on this but it seems to me bell isn't involved with manufacture and it is possible - is there anyway we can put a generic phone module on there to test for the presence of the GSM hardware? Is the encrypting/decrypting part of the phone a part of the unflashable area so taht this is not possible without modifying it at the digital logic level????? I've been wondering this for too long and your comment about GSM made me laugh because I alwasy regretted having so many 'broken' bell phones and nobody with nice instructions... although these ones are GREAT and i'll suffer with bell cdma for now as i'm excited to think I could even get 2.2 was it? Is that for real or someone else that didn't see the L??

I think it's time you had a look into Bell's current network and not what it was like 6 years ago....

Their currently aging (introduced in 2009) HSPA network does not use CDMA, it uses HSPA, which is basically the big brother to GSM and used the same types of hardware.

The I7500L is a GSM/HSPA phone. On bell, the GSM is not used, no. But the phone itself has absolutely NO CDMA hardware. It connects using the 1900mhz and 850mhz HSPA 3G bands that Bell offer throughout Canada.

Maybe next time, before you go through all the trouble of writing a post that long, you should actually look into or at least be sure of what you're talking about.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones