Unlocking smartphones without permission illegal in US after 01/25/13

Last Updated:

1. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

I am soo against this..

I don't see how this pasted into law.. Are there any normal thinking people on in our government left?

It looks to me.. Our government can be bought to do any stupid thing by companies.. Money makes right

Advertisement
    PrinceCorwin likes this.
  2. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

If you have bought the device outright (My SGS4g) they should unlock upon request.
    It's been totally paid for, and if I leave, TMO can charge an ETF, but no phone.
  3. Kamau

Kamau Well-Known Member

Or I can cut out the middle man and do it myself.
    My money. My property. My decision.
  4. ramjet73

ramjet73 Well-Known Member

raynoldsk, ochenta and g60madman like this.
  5. tmicrd68

tmicrd68 Well-Known Member

One more reason to be happy I bought the unlocked Nexus 4.
  6. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Well-Known Member Contributor

would not matter if it was unlocked or not. some phones only work on certain carriers regardless. i cannot use a CDMA phone on a GSM network, or vice versa, for example. which means my otherwise good LG Optimus V is still a paperweight or a very dinky wifi-only phablet
  7. dsmryder

dsmryder Well-Known Member Developer

I don't see the problem here. If you sign a contract, you agree with what the contract says. It's simple. And that includes the impending charges and what not.

I don't think someone should be allowed to just, on a whim, dicide to change carriers if they got a discount. In these days of information the consumer has the ability to find what a phone costs with out a contract and with a contract, and thus make an informed disision. I knew that if I bought my phone that it would save me in less than a year. I have no desire to take this phone somewhere else.

It's not like the (I can't call it a law as it's a ruling) ruling is to stop the carriers from unlocking the phone after the conditions of the contract have been met. It's to stop the, very few, people from benefiting from breaking the contract.
    Beezy1978 likes this.
  8. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with it if the phone is subsidized. If you buy it outright, you should be able to do what you want with it. Also, it should be mandatory for the carrier to unlock the phone upon request when the contract is up, therefore no longer being subsidized. If you pay off the ETF it should be yours, too.
  9. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

As others have posted, it's just about getting the sim unlock code without the carrier's consent, rooting and jailbreaking phones is specifically exempt from the DCMA, however tablets aren't. :rolleyes: :confused:
    OB
  10. blazo21

blazo21 Well-Known Member

ocnbrze likes this.
  11. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

I don't see why carriers need this law when they have early termination fees already in place. If you finish the contract then it shouldn't be an issue for you or the carrier to unlock the device and if you buy one off contract you should be able to do as you wish with your property.
    Kamau and Rxpert83 like this.
  12. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

Because what happens is people get their fancy discounted new phone, don't pay the bill and then hop carriers to a prepaid network where its much cheaper.

You would be right, but people don't follow through with their contracts, so the carriers need it.
    Beezy1978 likes this.
  13. brianzion

brianzion New Member

is this in the united kingdom? :eek:
  14. Rxpert83

As far as I know this is strictly US
    Hadron likes this.
  15. brianzion

brianzion New Member

thanks i have not heard of it happening here. years ago you was stuck in a contract with carrier here and no way out then markets and back street shops started unlocking them cost a lot to. now you can just go online and get the info.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  16. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

we have a discussion about this over in the lounge forum: http://androidforums.com/lounge/681...hout-permission-illegal-after-01-25-13-a.html, lets move the discussion there.

also another thread that y'all should know about is: http://androidforums.com/android-lo...ibution-would-you-buy-another-htc-device.html
  17. Wpz2000

Wpz2000 Well-Known Member

This is your government hard at work. Instead of fixing things like the debt ceiling (delaying it is not fixing) and working together, they are wasting their time to pass laws to benefit big business.

Telcos already have early termination fees that supposed to pay for the subsidy on the phone. Either through the ETF or fullfilling the contract, you own that phone and should be able to do anything you want with it.

I guess the lobbyist dumped a lot of money in to politicians pockets. Just another grievance that keeps the telcos and politicians among the most hated around...
  18. Kamau

Kamau Well-Known Member

Because as we all know, the carriers are losing money and will not survive another year.
    I'm sorry, but I have little to no sympathy for the carriers. This law is nothing more than greed, pure & simple. And the way they treat their customers is something that should be made illegal. Hell, now if you complain too much to them, they will terminate your contract.
    I say if one can find a better deal with another carrier, then go for it.
  19. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

Absolutely correct.
  20. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

If Google comes out with a more reasonable wireless service.. The other carriers will have to start acting more reasonable

HERE IS TO HOPING AND DREAMING
    msndrstood likes this.
  21. RolaAddict

RolaAddict Well-Known Member

Ok so let me get this straight.....the Librarian of Congress changed this law?A F'ING LIBRARIAN!?So I guess the ruling of the Supreme Court doesn't mean anything anymore.I don't see how one person has the power to do that.I see this article was from the LA Times so I'm sure they got something wrong in that write up.I've been interviewed by them before and my gf will tell you they DO misquote people very easily.The LA Times reporter I was interviewed by reminds me of the kid from the movie The Stupids starring Tom Arnold.
  22. Rxpert83

I never said anything about any of the carriers financial situations. Frankly it doesn't matter. People signed a contract agreeing to certain terms, they should fulfill it.

This is only here to enforce that contract that people signed. Theres no real power to a contract that you can decide you don't like after they've given you a huge discount on your phone
  23. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Well-Known Member

MY opinion is it is a bad ruling for most of us. I do not believe the change will hamper JB/Rooter/Unlockers much. You will likely be able to find the tools you need tomorrow as you can today.

How will it affect this forum? We do not like to talk about torrents or game ROMS; they are clearly not allowed. So do the mods have a week ahead of them purging the AF forum links to the available tools?
  24. blazo21

blazo21 Well-Known Member

sorry...didn't know...lol...thought I would post tho