• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unlocking the bootloader, custom recovery, kernels, etc

I think everyone should send emails to the Kyocera mobile company and explain how ******ed it was to put out devices without the capability of modifying! I believe their website has a place to give them a "much" needed review of their horrible mistake!

Explain it to Boost/Sprint
This model phone was designed under contract with boost/sprint
Its not an open design, and Kyo has to abide by the contract terms.

Upvote 0
And once again that's why they're gonna lose customers because instead they'd rather "make the service provider happy" instead of the customer that makes it all happen by using their services and devices...

You aren't getting it.
Kyo builds the phones for the provider, that is who is buying the phones from kyo.
Kyo is not building something to their own specs and selling to the general public.
Its not a case of Kyo would rather....

Boost is the customer, not you/us.

Upvote 0
That's all well and good on paper, but their argument is that Kyocera is creating a shitty reputation with the end user. Sure they build the devices to the carriers spec under contract, but the carrier doesn't use the devices, we do. Unfortunately it's not a popular enough brand for that to even matter, Kyocera is probably better off sticking to their arrangement.

Upvote 0
Finally someone that understands what I was trying to say, Kyocera is sh** anyway, fortunately I didn't buy this phone nor will I ever buy a Kyocera device now that I see that they're NOT for the customer and instead for the service provider... WAS THAT CLEAR ENOUGH??

What's clear to me is that you don't own this phone, never will, have no vested interest here as do other members, so there's no need for further negative opinions like this here that help no one.

Upvote 0
Okay, I have a close friend that just bought this phone. He rooted successfully and proceeded to download a beats audio driver to the device. He now has no service or data at all. Is there any way to do a factory restore and fix this?
He came and talked to me while I was at work, so I never really got a chance to look at it. I know nothing about this brand. Any suggestions I can give him when I talk to him?

Upvote 0
Okay, I have a close friend that just bought this phone. He rooted successfully and proceeded to download a beats audio driver to the device. He now has no service or data at all. Is there any way to do a factory restore and fix this?
He came and talked to me while I was at work, so I never really got a chance to look at it. I know nothing about this brand. Any suggestions I can give him when I talk to him?

Ugh, yea beats audio messes this phone up
There is a thread here about fixing it, you will have to do a search for it
I think you have to hand replace some files back to stock

Reactions: Zombie591
Upvote 0
Well, I gave up on the Hydro for now, gave it to my son. I've done quite a bit of research on the locked bootloader and the only thing that we could do to get around it is to build one. I myself have to many projects to work on that one.

To everyone, good luck!
in time kyocera may just release an unlock. :)

Upvote 0
I understand that while we have root for the Kyocera Hydro, Rise and Event, they all have locked boot-loaders so we can't have custom ROM's and Kernels. I used to have a Motorola Atrix HD and it also had a locked boot-loader, the XDA developers were able to get around this by using something called safe-strap, which I believe modified the boot sequence allowing us to boot ROM's from the SD-Card, would this be possible for us?

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what difference there is between motorla devices and others, I believe it modifies the android os not the bootloader so I see no technical reason it couldn't be ported to our devices but then again I'm not a developer, that's why I asked to see if anyone knew if it could work, perhaps we should contact the safestrap developers to see how it works and if it would be possible to port it to non motorla devices.

Reactions: Slayer72
Upvote 0
... Apparently, Kyocera really doesn't want to admit they even make software for this device.

Tried to make the business case to them. Here's what they sent me:

Kyocera customer support said:
Thank you for contacting Kyocera Communications Inc. This email message is in response to your inquiry regarding the bootloaders for the Kyocera phones.

We are sorry to hear about the difficulties you are experiencing and appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

First of all, Kyocera is not like HTC, Samsung or other phone manufacturers that create bootloaders and make it available in market. The reason behind is because we don't make phone based on the request, we make phones based on the specify of the service providers who purchases the phone from us. If they don't give any specification to create any bootloaders then Kyocera will not make one. It is true that you purchase the phone but you didn't buy the phone from us, you purchased the phone through your service provider who already bought the phones before you did. I do understand the coverage of the Magnusson-Moss warranty act but your phone's warranty since it's a Virgin Mobile is not through us but with your service provider Virgin Mobile therefore it is not us who voids the warranty but them.

As for other Kyocera Android phones under different service providers, we have an agreement with them since they are our direct customers that a bootloader will not be available to end users and it will only be available to them as they are the authorized distributors.

Your objectives may not be of others that wishes to unlock the phone to be used to other network but if we have made the bootloader available to the market then most likely we will violate the agreement with the service providers who are our direct customers.

Once we make the phone we are bound by contracts and agreements of what needs to be included when we manufacture the phones for them. Sprint, Boost, Virgin Mobile didn't give any authorization to create or provide bootloaders as it can be used to flash the phone to be used to other service providers as well as the warranty will be voided in case the phone breaks after bootloading it. Again our customers are the service providers so we need to protect their interest as well.

We understand that other manufacturer provide a bootloaders for phone, but we are different company from and we follow different process. If any of those service provide give authorize to make a bootloader then we won't have issues making it available for end like you to it.

If you have any further questions, or are interested in purchasing, or information on accessories for your Kyocera Communications Inc. phone, please contact us at any of the phone numbers listed below:

The gold here is buried here: They almost claim they didn't even *make* a bootloader for this device:

If they don't give any specification to create any bootloaders then Kyocera will not make one.

I won't even touch the grammar.

Upvote 0
Good question don't know but my hydro is now a holding down papers on my table tried a boot img and now only the white screen with name shows up complete boot loop and stock recovery wont fix/help no adb or at least my PC don't see it if there is

Kyocera said I could send to them and they would fix under warranty but I have to pay for shipping to get phone to them

Sent from my V55 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones