1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

Unlocking the Bootloader???

1. morgankslade

morgankslade Well-Known Member

I remember that LG Motion had problems with unlocking the bootloader. Do you think that this will be a problem with LG Nexus 5?:hmmmm2:

Advertisement
  2. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Absolutely not. It's a Nexus.

fastboot oem unlock

And done.
    morgankslade likes this.
  3. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

Yeah, the hardest part about unlocking a Nexus bootloader is geting the drivers configured correct. :D
    morgankslade likes this.
  4. morgankslade

I have never had, nor know that much about Nexus, but I'm about to get one.:D
    iowabowtech likes this.
  5. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

That deserves a congrats! I wish I could join you but I must sit this one out due to being a Verizon customer. Bottom line...you will have guaranteed unlock, root, and development from day one. Its a thing of beauty. And I'm jealous. :D
    Rxpert83 and morgankslade like this.
  6. x4sper

x4sper Member

fastboot oem unlock
  7. morgankslade

I am gonna Google "fastboot oem unlock." I don't have a clue what this is. I'll get back after some studying.
  8. jhawkkw

More or less, once you have the drivers set up, open a command line terminal in the location of Google's fastboot sdk file and type that command in the terminal while the device is connected to the computer in fastboot/bootloader mode. No exploits needed.
    zipred and morgankslade like this.
  9. morgankslade

Well I have did some studying...I have read and installed Android SDK, ADB and Fastboot on my PC.

I am getting used to this new terminology. I will be ready when the time comes.
    zipred and Rxpert83 like this.
  10. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

Its a piece of cake :thumbup: Like others have mentioned the hardest part is just getting things set up the first time you ever do it.

I'm sure once the device is released well have a proper step by step guide you can follow just to make sure you're off on the right foot, and were always more than happy to answer questions or troubleshoot :D
    Slayer72, zipred and morgankslade like this.
  11. zipred

zipred Well-Known Member

True, it's so exciting. I tried twice last year to buy a Nexus 4 upon release, but I didn't have the secret phrase to negotiate the maze of issues during the launch. LOL.

This year I'll be hot on the site getting my order in lightning fast and early. With some luck and a better launch on Google's part I hope to secure one.

It's almost like gambling in Vegas :)
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  12. jhawkkw

Yeah, hopefully it won't be a repeat of last year. That was one of the biggest disasters ever as far as launches go.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  13. zipred

zipred Well-Known Member

Where in the forums here should I watch for the guide on how to setup my Nexus 5 once I have it in hand?

Anything I should read / study beforehand to get up to speed?

I'm new to Android and wish to spend my time wisely learning this OS by reading the right stuff. Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

14. jhawkkw

Chances are high that I or another staff member will put together a sticky on unlocking, rooting, and custom recovery once the device is released and all the necessary tools(drivers, su zip, twrp/cwm made for the phone) are out.
    zipred likes this.
  15. Rxpert83

I've got one written out for the manual method of the 2012 nexus 7 that we'll just have to change some links on. (& add the fastboot OEM unlock step, this was for rerooting) ;)

It'll probably be a good idea to add a section for the various toolkits once they come about
    NYCHitman1, jhawkkw and zipred like this.
  16. morgankslade

Welcome to the forums. A great place to get any info you may need for your beloved android device.
    It will probably be on the thread Nexus 5 All things root.
  17. shelliewnj

shelliewnj Well-Known Member

when are we getting them? it's gonna be my first nexus and i'm excited! LOL
  18. jhawkkw

The unveiling should be within the next week or two if history is any indicator, with a launch near the end of the month or early November.
    shelliewnj likes this.
  19. morgankslade

I hope history doesn't repeat itself as far as being able to get one.:eek:
  20. morgankslade

I am ready as well. Also my first.:D
  21. jhawkkw

Congrats to both of you making the jump to the Nexus line. It really is a much better way, imo, to use android. No bloat, no lockdown of the sim or bootloader of your device, lots of custom rom/kernel development, and timely updates straight from google with no carrier or manufacturer modifications or delays.
    Slayer72, morgankslade and shelliewnj like this.
  22. Rxpert83

Fingers crossed, looking at you sprint:D
  23. Gatman

Gatman Well-Known Member

This is what I am worried about. I remember reading all the stories about the long wait for the N4. I am ready to pull the trigger the day it goes on sale though.

I am also a tad concerned about battery life. I will be coming from a Droid RAZR Maxx, and I really love the battery life on this phone.

~Gary
  24. jhawkkw

Many of us share your concern regarding availability. We can only hope google finally gets it right.

As for battery life, modern day chipsets have become much more efficient that being 4-5 hours of screen on lte seems like a reasonable expectation. It's I get about 3-4 hours of screen on lte and 4-5 on wifi with my Nexus 4.
  25. morgankslade

I am a light user...I easily get 14 on SGS3. I am on WiFi most of the time.
    Looking at that 3-5 hrs. sucks.