• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unlocking the Bootloader???

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
I am a light user...I easily get 14 on SGS3. I am on WiFi most of the time.
Looking at that 3-5 hrs. sucks.

Those 3-5 hours are with the screen on. Normal operation generally includes standby time, which you should be looking at a lot more, especially if you're a light user. On a light day with about 1.5 hours of screen, My Nexus is at about 53 percent at the end of the day which is roughly 16-17 hours off the charger.

Upvote 0
So unlocking bootloader and unlocking device are two different things???
I need not worry about unlocking device, its unlocked already?
Unlock bootloader and root, install custom recovery, backup.
THEN insert SIM and activate on MPCS BYOD?

Oh..check out all things root.

The device is SIM unlocked, which means it's not locked to any carrier. However the bootloader is locked for security reasons. It is easily unlocked, but doing so invokes a full data wipe. Once unlocked, your free to flash to any partition of the device which makes rooting extremely easy. Flash custom recovery, then flash root zip file while in recovery.

Upvote 0
Once unlocked, your free to flash to any partition of the device which makes rooting extremely easy. Flash custom recovery, then flash root zip file while in recovery.
I believe this is the first device I'll try to learn things manually. One of the smaller complaints of the Galaxy Nexus was the lack of external storage. (I've learned I like to keep my "I don't wanna lose these when I flash stuff" files there) When you mention partition and I know the different partitions Recovery, Boot, system... My question is would there be a way to re-partition the main user storage area into two parts where one would be a virtual external storage?

My gut tells me that could risk bricking the phone but I'm always looking for setups.

Upvote 0
I believe this is the first device I'll try to learn things manually. One of the smaller complaints of the Galaxy Nexus was the lack of external storage. (I've learned I like to keep my "I don't wanna lose these when I flash stuff" files there) When you mention partition and I know the different partitions Recovery, Boot, system... My question is would there be a way to re-partition the main user storage area into two parts where one would be a virtual external storage?

My gut tells me that could risk bricking the phone but I'm always looking for setups.

I have never tried to change the partition map of a device. I don't personally see the practicality of splitting the userdata partition into two parts since it seems like it would only restrict the device more than help. Custom recovery is already altered so that when you wipe for rom flashing that it skips over the area you store your files in.

Upvote 0
Well I have did some studying...I have read and installed Android SDK, ADB and Fastboot on my PC.

I am getting used to this new terminology. I will be ready when the time comes.
I remember being nervous and feeling overwhelmed my first time unlocking, installing a custom recovery and rooting my Nexus device. It gets easy once you go through it.

I highly recommend modding using command line. From my experience the one click program solutions tend to run into problems during the process and also it feels great to know and understand the process in modding your android device :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0
I have moved this to the Root subforum since there is some technical information in the thread now.

Just to give everyone a heads up, a guide to unlock the bootloader and root is more or less finished. Once we have a proper recovery file meant for our device and a root binary that is confirmed working it will be posted.

I believe that Chainfire posted the flashable root binary files on his XDA thread for the N5 (along with CF-Auto-Root).

Reactions: jhawkkw
Upvote 0
I have moved this to the Root subforum since there is some technical information in the thread now.

Just to give everyone a heads up, a guide to unlock the bootloader and root is more or less finished. Once we have a proper recovery file meant for our device and a root binary that is confirmed working it will be posted.

Just wanted to say that thanks to this thread and the sticky root guide above. I forced myself to learn how to manually unlock and root (and basic fastboot and adb commands) instead of resorting to Windows based scripted tools. Couldn't have done it without you guys. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Just wanted to say that thanks to this thread and the sticky root guide above. I forced myself to learn how to manually unlock and root (and basic fastboot and adb commands) instead of resorting to Windows based scripted tools. Couldn't have done it without you guys. Thanks!

Knowing how to do it can really save your rear someday :D

Congrats! I'm sure the effort will be worth it.

Upvote 0
Say is there anyway to unlock the bootloader and root without wiping the device? Or at least is there any way to backup and easily restore things such as my apps, settings, contacts and messages? Basically everything besides music since that's just a drag'n'drop operation for me...

I really wanna root but really dislike wiping devices.

Also, if I root and then a 4.4.1 update comes out; does the update remove the root?

Upvote 0
Say is there anyway to unlock the bootloader and root without wiping the device? Or at least is there any way to backup and easily restore things such as my apps, settings, contacts and messages? Basically everything besides music since that's just a drag'n'drop operation for me...

I really wanna root but really dislike wiping devices.

Also, if I root and then a 4.4.1 update comes out; does the update remove the root?

The update will likely remove root, but root is easy to achieve. There is no way to avoid the factory reset set in motion by unlocking the bootloader. However, there are backup solutions (that don't require root) like Helium. How good they work? I don't know, but I'm sure someone around here does.

Upvote 0
The update will likely remove root, but root is easy to achieve. There is no way to avoid the factory reset set in motion by unlocking the bootloader. However, there are backup solutions (that don't require root) like Helium. How good they work? I don't know, but I'm sure someone around here does.

Thanks for the help, I guess I'll haveta wait and see if anyone around here knows how well they work before I take the leap.

However, just a quick question: with root, are we "notified" or "pushed" the next droid update, or do we have to go fetch it ourselves manually?

Upvote 0
It is possibly to unlock without the factory reset, but it requires being rooted before unlocking. Obviously this is a contradiction for the first unlocking because you need to be unlocked to root in the first place, but once rooted, you can use an app to unlock/lock on the fly and it doesn't invoke a factory reset. If a root exploit were found to work without needing unlocking, then you could hypothetically unlock without the wipe. However root exploits are not generally looked for on Nexus devices are more often come by accident from other devices, like Framaroot or Motochopper.

Upvote 0
It is possibly to unlock without the factory reset, but it requires being rooted before unlocking. Obviously this is a contradiction for the first unlocking because you need to be unlocked to root in the first place, but once rooted, you can use an app to unlock/lock on the fly and it doesn't invoke a factory reset. If a root exploit were found to work without needing unlocking, then you could hypothetically unlock without the wipe. However root exploits are not generally looked for on Nexus devices are more often come by accident from other devices, like Framaroot or Motochopper.

Does that mean once I root/unlock the bootloader initially I'll be able to root without needing a factory wipe? Does that include if I update my Android version?

Also, is there a backup app that backs up Contacts, Apps and App Data, and my Settings and preferably anything else?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones