• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unlocking

KalinRoz

Lurker
Dec 14, 2016
I have tried to contact Virgin Mobile Data done right. Every time i talk to them they tell me that it is impossible to unlock the phone. I have had this phone with them for over a year, and they just recently closed the account. I have another phone on the Walmart family plan and would like to add the Volt onto it. But again every time they tell me i cannot do that. Is there anyway i can get the phone unlocked? Also i came across this website : https://www.gazelle.com/thehorn/2014/01/29/unlock-phone-carrier/

Is that site is correct isn't it illegal for them to have the phone unable to be unlocked? They tell me they cannot do it and to call Walmart so they can use an MSI number to unlock it but that makes no sense, and Walmart has no idea how they would go about unlocking a phone they have no control over.

Virgin Mobile is correct in that they can't do a "GSM Unlock" to let the phone use anyone's sim card. However the phone might at least now be unlocked in the sense that it can be used on any Sprint-based carrier. Check the phone on the RingPlus and Ting BYOD checkers. IIRC if the phone's been in use for over a year then they automatically pass the checks to go to other carriers. If nothing else, validating that it can move to other Sprint-based carriers increases the phone's resale value.

Upvote 0
Im sorry i have no idea what that means, im assuming that is some kind of program that allows the phone to get the service from a carrier?
The phone has a physical piece in it to get service, and the piece in the LG Volt can never ever work with most service providers (for example Walmart, T-Mobile, ATT), it only works with sprint (maybe also Verizon) or the companies under it (for example Virgin Mobile and Boost Mobile). The phone itself is unlocked, but is physically incapable of working on GSM networks because it has the CDMA chip instead.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones