• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] Unofficial CM12 d2spr build

Ab5traktion

Android Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2012
First of all, I have to say, I absolutely hate the new forum layout. Having nothing but problems.

Now that's out of the way, here is the first taste of Android 5.0 for our Samsung Galaxy S3s. Thank you, Isaiah PEz! I'm currently running this build and it is awesome. I originally posted this in my Android 4.4.4 Nightlies list but I figured it needed it's own thread.

The first official CM12 nightlies should come around December 1st. Cyanogenmod decided to deunify Samsung Galaxy S3 builds after unifying them in February. From now on, at least with Cyanogenmod, you'll have look for d2spr builds. There are a few things you need to flash in order to get this unofficial CM12 d2spr build to work. First of all is the ROM, of course. You also need Android 5.0 GAPPS, Chainfire's SuperSU 2.27 (made to work with Android 5.0), and the APN settings to get data to work.

I saw on a previous screenshot of Isaiah PEz testing of his build that he was using the MD4 modem. I will include that as well. If your Galaxy S3 came with Android 4.1.2 preinstalled and you haven't updated your modem/bootloader, you will need to flash the modem. If your Galaxy S3 came with Android 4.3 or newer preinstalled, you do NOT need to flash the modem or you will run the risk of hard-bricking your phone.

So, here we go:

Flash in this order:

1)
MD4 modem (only flash if Android 4.1.2 preinstalled and haven't upgraded modem/bootloader)
2) Unofficial CM12 d2spr build
3) Android 5.0 GAPPS
4) SuperSU 2.27
5) APN Settings
6) Lollipop Boot Animation (optional)

Isaiah PEz Google+ Page

Last edited:
First of all, I have to say, I absolutely hate the new forum layout. Having nothing but problems.

Now that's out of the way, here is the first taste of Android 5.0 for our Samsung Galaxy S3s. Thank you, Isaiah PEz! I'm currently running this build and it is awesome. I originally posted this in my Android 4.4.4 Nightlies list but I figured it needed it's own thread.

The first official CM12 nightlies should come around December 1st. Cyanogenmod decided to deunify Samsung Galaxy S3 builds after unifying them in February. From now on, at least with Cyanogenmod, you'll have look for d2spr builds. There are a few things you need to flash in order to get this unofficial CM12 d2spr build to work. First of all is the ROM, of course. You also need Android 5.0 GAPPS, Chainfire's SuperSU 2.27 (made to work with Android 5.0), and the APN settings to get data to work.

I saw on a previous screenshot of Isaiah PEz testing of his build that he was using the MD4 modem. I will include that as well. If you're Galaxy S3 came with Android 4.1.2 preinstalled, you will need to flash the modem. If your Galaxy S3 came with Android 4.3 or newer preinstalled, you do NOT need to flash the modem or you will run the risk of hard-bricking your phone.

So, here we go:

Flash in this order:

1) MD4 modem
(only flash if Android 4.1.2 preinstalled and haven't upgraded modem/bootloader)
2) Unofficial CM12 d2spr build
3) Android 5.0 GAPPS
4) SuperSU 2.27
5) APN Settings

Ab5traktion, I just want to thank you for looking. I have been waiting for a for something worth rooting my phone for. (Well just 5.0 ROMS) but thank you for keeping us up to date with all ROMS. :)

Upvote 0
So, this will work on the Virgin Mobile USA SGS3 and everything is working?

The camera has issues. Google Camera only wants to take pics when it wants to. Pressing Home button to wake doesn't work just yet. There are some CM elements that aren't in the ROM yet. They will be added later. This is just a test build.

If you want to get to know the feel of Android 5.0, then I'd highly suggest using it. I'm liking the ROM a lot and it'll only get better. Calls, texts, data all work. I'm really enjoying the animations. They're very fluid and connected. I haven't had any major hiccups just yet. It's performing quite well for a test build.

Reactions: upconvert
Upvote 0
@An5traktion,

So, the camera has a preview and takes pics to some degree?
If that's the case, that's better than some camera library conflicts I've had on other devices.

The preview show up give. But most of the time when you try to take a pic, it'll act like it's taking one without actually taking it. There have been a couple times it actually worked. The camera and YouTube apps seems to be the only ones with bugs. Everything else seems to be working great.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Apparently, with the new forum layout, you're not able to edit your original content. I'm not to happy about that. I don't know how I'm going to be able to maintain my threads if I'm not able to edit or add content to them. Until they're able to fix it, this will be my last forum thread. I don't like adding links in the comments section only for them to get lost.

I figured since this thread is about Android Lollipop, I should add the Lollipop Boot Animation. This can be dirty flashed and works quite well.

Lollipop Boot Animation

Upvote 0
Apparently, with the new forum layout, you're not able to edit your original content. I'm not to happy about that. I don't know how I'm going to be able to maintain my threads if I'm not able to edit or add content to them. Until they're able to fix it, this will be my last forum thread. I don't like adding links in the comments section only for them to get lost.

I figured since this thread is about Android Lollipop, I should add the Lollipop Boot Animation. This can be dirty flashed and works quite well.

Lollipop Boot Animation

I agree. It ticks me off that I can't edit.

Upvote 0
Got stuck using the pin screen feature.. I couldn't unpin. I believe to unpin you need to hold the recents button and back button at the same time but it seemed like it wasn't registering the long hold on the back button. Ended up rebooting to unpin

Yeah same here. I'm not sure what Google was thinking considering that many phones still have the menu button rather than the overview button.

Upvote 0

I'm not happy about this either. This is kind of a deal-breaker to devs and others who want to update their posts. How am I supposed to edit my post if I make a new version of a rom or mod?

I forgot to quote this and I was going to just put it in my other comment, but now I can't edit it. So this will be two comments I guess

Upvote 0
I got some errors on the install and took forever to boot, I didn't think it was going to work, but it finally booted, and is running smooth. I really like it so far. Thanks for sharing

The first boot up took forever for me too. I almost quit as well. But I'm glad I didn't. I'm really enjoying Lollipop. The animations are flawless. I highly recommend using the Nova Launcher with this ROM. It incorporates the Lollipop animations with a lot of customizations.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones