***Unofficial Noobish Question Thread***

Last Updated:

1. Lurkr

Lurkr Active Member This Topic's Starter

So, I'm sitting here with my lovely Droid X after a smoothly run midnight release (yay Roanoke!) and I find myself wondering--Is there anything (apps, hardware, otherwise) that I should absolutely NOT do, despite what people (or websites or ancient squid-headed gods) might tell me to do?

I've heard, to some extent, about the verizon reps and their undying love for taskkiller (the guy who was helping me out installed it) and so I've been avoiding using it, lest I hurt my wonderful shiny brand new droid.

It should be mentioned that I am a total android noob-have never used any phone with it on, and I upgraded from an LG Voyager, so this is kind of a jump for me...

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
  2. imronburgundy

imronburgundy Well-Known Member

Task killer is awesome.

3. sj993

sj993 Member

I had task killer on my droid. I eventually deleted it and the phone ran smoother without it than it did trying to constantly close apps that would keep re-opening.

4. Birdman2004

Birdman2004 Well-Known Member

So i guess you were there, Lurkr? ha Wouldn't have known you if i saw you i guess! But, I picked one up too, and yeah, the guys there put the app killer on mine also.

Has anyone tried charging the X through a laptop with the supplied USB cable? Not working for me?

5. Lurkr

I definitely was:) Didn't arrive till about 11 though, was really happy when I only saw 20-25 people ahead of me. I was the guy sitting on the hood of his car TRYING to work on his laptop after they took our names/numbers.

I haven't tried to charge it yet, the damn thing is still 1/2 charged since last night. Are you using the wall adapter or plugging into a computer?

6. Birdman2004

Ah... I was that guy with the blue and white striped shirt fifth in line looking like this :D

I was trying to charge it by connecting it to a laptop with the USB cable

7. Lurkr

As stupid as this sounds, have you checked for driver issues? My voyager initially refused to charge off my computer for just that reason....Once I updated the drivers though, it seemed to work just fine. On that note, what OS are you on?

8. Scooter70

Scooter70 Well-Known Member

Here are some answers for 95% of the noob questions:

*Task killers aren't necessary.
    *Yes, it's Gorilla Glass.
    *No, you don't necessarily need a screen protector.
    *Yes, the bootloader is locked.
    *No, you can't root it (at least not yet).
    *Appbrain.com is your friend for finding cool apps.
    *Yes, you can hold it any way you want and you'll still get reception.
    *Yes, your data plan is unlimited.
    *2.2 update is "coming soon".
    *Yes, you can use mp3s for ringtones.

Feel free to add more answers to my list. ;)

Lurkr likes this.
  9. Birdman2004

Using XP, but its a work laptop. It didn't even recognize that ANY thing was connected to it. which is weird cause it will usually say something like "hardware couldn't be installed" or something to that effect.

10. Lurkr

Thanks scooter! First I'd heard of appbrain, can't wait to get back from my wonderous 9AM meeting and check it out! Also totally importing like 40 ringtones...On that note, the default ringtones kinda..well, suck.

Birdman, that's probably your problem in that case; I'd try running a scan in device manager while you've got it plugged in if you haven't already. Another potentially stupid suggestion, but if you've got the phone off when plugging it in (which should still charge it, theoretically?) give it a shot with it on, if possible.

I am just guessing here, it's been a while since I've trouble-shot phones + computers and nothing near this advanced, so if anyone more familiar with this is around, feel free to step in:)

11. Birdman2004

hmmm. nothing shows up in device manager either. its like im not even plugging the thing in.

12. Lurkr

huh...well, that's just weird...sorry, don't have any more helpful ideas, at least not ones I could try over the phone...since it's a company computer, maybe they have new device installs locked down??(not that that idea makes a lot of sense...for a variety of reasons)

13. Birdman2004

14. Lurkr

Aha, well, good to know my first impulse was right. Doubly (sp?) good to know you can now charge your phone!

Birdman2004 likes this.
  15. bobbyrawlins

bobbyrawlins New Member

So I just picked up an X this morning and this being my first smartphone...I don't really know what I'm doing.

I'll prolly be asking a few questions but I'll start off with how would I go about getting all my pics, vids, and music from my Dare to my X? They are all stored on an SD card.

16. Birdman2004

Thanks! :D Man, I am in love with this thing!

17. deekum1627

deekum1627 Well-Known Member

i herd advance task killer was no good i kept getting some erros b/c of it so verizon said to use advance task manager