• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories <<<<<Unofficial OtterBox Defender Thread>>>>>

I suggested that they make a Defender case (or Commuter) that can accommodate the DI with extended battery, and offer a featherweight insert to fill the gap if the DI is put in without extended battery.

Such a design would allow people to buy the case and worry about the extended battery later (as long as they plan on buying on).

Hope they listen.

Upvote 0
So this is the response I got from Otterbox regarding the possibility of an Otterbox Defender case...

Update for Case #124083 - "Droid Incredible"

As of right now, I don't know if we will be making a case for the Droid incredible. I would say keep an eye on our website as it will have the most up to date information on our new products and cases. I will also put in the suggestion for the incredible to our product development team.

Thanks!
Rachel Bacon

Otterbox Team

Upvote 0
Damnit, I finally got my Incredible.
(hee hee hee, only a trucker would bitch about getting something nice.)

I've heard nothing on the otterbox for it. I've signed up for their updates.

Anyway, I sent them this just now:
(I figure that the poor bored person who reads these will enjoy a sury smart ass letter directed at another department.)

This is not a harangue directed at whoever is charged

with answering dumb emails. This is directed to the

chimps in R&D:
COME ON GUY! WTF?! You've had the Incredible since ****ing MAY! It's almost august? Are you energy drink guzzling twits playing Farmville and writing Twilight fan fiction all day? Seriously, at least give me a ****ing progress report of some kind.
Like, "hey,we've decided to make it out of wood and have hired drunken Amish guys to do it." or "we like turtles" or something. I just got my phone, and I'm gonna be buying a case soon. If I have to buy another brand, i'm not going to turn around and buy yours when it comes out in 2112.
Get off your asses and make this shit happen.
Sheesh!
Loyal Customer #3502

Upvote 0
I cant believe someone from otterbox doesnt visit these forums and provide us with a little insight.. something fishy is going on.

The something fishy was the iPhone 4. The demand for that phone is 5x greater than a single page thread on this forum. Trust me, I tried giving them hell on their FB page and they just told me they are still working on it, but the demand for the iPhone was far greater and they needed to meet the marketing needs. Not to mention the Evo is probably the next phone you will see a OB case for.

Upvote 0
Not to mention the Evo is probably the next phone you will see a OB case for.

You may be right but I really don't understand why. Where I live I see just as many Incredibles as Evos running around and the Incredible has been out longer than the Evo. Us folks with Incredibles are a fairly large number and we are getting pretty tired of being passed over on accessories that other phones seem to get with no problem. The iphone I can understand, that market is just so much larger, but there were people asking Otterbox for cases for their Incredibles before the Evo had even hit the streets. I know this because I was one and because I spoke with others who had done the same.

Upvote 0
You may be right but I really don't understand why. Where I live I see just as many Incredibles as Evos running around and the Incredible has been out longer than the Evo. Us folks with Incredibles are a fairly large number and we are getting pretty tired of being passed over on accessories that other phones seem to get with no problem. The iphone I can understand, that market is just so much larger, but there were people asking Otterbox for cases for their Incredibles before the Evo had even hit the streets. I know this because I was one and because I spoke with others who had done the same.

Well the INC has been on back order since release day so im sure that doesnt help the demand for this case.

Upvote 0
Well the INC has been on back order since release day so im sure that doesnt help the demand for this case.

Uhm, that just makes no sense to me. They have not been on back order in the sense that there are none to be had at all and no one has been getting them. They have been on back order in the sense that it has been taking people two weeks to a month to get them which means they are selling faster than they can be manufactured which means the demand for these phone is high which means there already are a ton of them out there and a ton more are on the way. And btw, hasn't the Evo suffered from enough-in-stock issues as well?

Upvote 0
I am anxiously awaiting the Defender release for the DInc! Right now I have the Verizon red glossy silicone skin and it works pretty darn well. I've dropped the phone twice on its face from about 4 feet and it doesn't have a scratch. But I'm pretty prone to accidents so the Defender fits my lifestyle. Get em out there asap! And I hope they don't only release the dull black color. Give us a red/black yellow/black combo at least.

Upvote 0
Here is this evenings reply:

We here at OtterBox are very concerned with making a quality product. For that reason we do not have expected release dates. We have to make sure that everything in this case is up to par with all of our specifications. We will take the product back to testing as many times as it takes to make sure we are sending out the quality that we are known for. This will release as soon as we feel it is up to our standards. We have to make sure that we have time to do all of this testing before we can release a case that is why we do not have release dates.

Deanski

Upvote 0
Wait.... there's more the saga continues:
Have to admit they are quick to reply once we sent emails, they reply comes in moments later.

I understand your frustration and you certainly are correct that we had to push the release of our iPhone 4 cases, as it has a demand five times greater than any other phone. Unfortunately I still don't have any kind of release date to give you. From my previous experience with our phones, I could tell you that our Defender series are generally released not long after our Commuter. In this case, our Commuter series for the Incredible was released not too long ago, so I would say that is a good sign that the release for the Defender is not far off. I hope this helps.

So, time will tell.... when? Your guess is as good as mine.

Maybe when an Incredible-2 is released:rolleyes:

Deanski

Upvote 0
I definitely want a Defender Series case for my Incredible even though it will only be designed for the OEM standard battery/phone combo. The Commuter case was sold out a couple weeks ago but now is in stock on the Otterbox website and Amazon. Amazon is adverstising and preselling the Defender Series case for the Incredible and the web page is saying it is about 3-5 weeks out before it ships. We'll see.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones