Unread email count?

1. billdz

billdz Member

Hello, I just got a new Google Nexus 4, working great so far, upgraded from an iPhone 3gs. Just one question: It appears that the Nexus does not show on the start page the number of unread emails in my mailbox. Is there a way to make this happen? Some adjustment of the settings, or perhaps some app or widget is needed?

Thanks,
    b

Advertisement
    :
  2. RyanB

RyanB Distributor of Awesome VIP Member

Frankly, there are myriad options for what you're looking for. If you do a search in Google Play for "unread gmail", you'll see ton of options for your home screen. I assume you aren't referring to your lockscreen.
  3. billdz

billdz Member

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps I was unclear as I'm looking for something that will show the number of unread mails in all of my accounts, not just gmail. I did search GP and did find several apps on gmail, but did not see one for all accounts, except one that had bad reviews.

I'm a little surprised that the stock email program does not provide this feature, I thought perhaps something just needed to be set in the Settings. So an app/widget is needed? Any recommendations? And yes, I meant the home screen, not the lock screen.

Thanks,
    b
  4. RyanB

That pulls info from both the Gmail app, as well as the stock email app, into a single widget, a la unified inbox?
  5. billdz

billdz Member

Yes, I have the default email app set up to deliver email from both my work and home accounts. I do not use gmail except for Google Voice, etc. The icon is a yellow piece of paper with the @ symbol coming out of a white envelope.

I did find an app called the K-9 Unread Count Icon, which seems to be what I need, but it says, "This Widget works only with a K9Mail installation!" So I'd have to replace the default email app with the K-9 Mail app? Perhaps that is the only way to get the icon I want.
  6. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

You could try using Nova Launcher and pair that with Tesla Unread. I love it and it shows my unread emails, SMS, and missed calls.
    billdz likes this.
  7. RyanB

Google Voice has its own app, if it helps you to know that.
  8. RyanB

Edit: didn't see that this is what you were talking about that K-9 widget already.

Yes OP, I think you're either going to have to replace the stock email with one that has compatible widgets, or replace your home launcher with something that can plug into it, like what was mentioned by Digital Controller.
  9. billdz

billdz Member

Tried the K-9 email and the K-9 Unread Count Icon, the icon did not work, one of the reviewers mentioned it did not work for him either with Jelly Bean.

Maybe will try the Nova/Tesla later.

I'm a little disappointed that this is not a stock feature, if I recall even my cheap old cell phones showed when I had unread mail.

Thanks for the tips,
    b
  10. RyanB

You do get the notification at the top of your screen when an email arrives, correct?
  11. billdz

billdz Member

Yes, I do. But if I miss that I do not know if there is anything new in my inboxes.
  12. RyanB

Pardon my confusion, but the notification of said email should remain at the top of your screen. Is it disappearing, or would rather have the notification be reflected elsewhere? No hardball, it's just that notifications at the top don't usually clear themselves, so looking at that should indicate if you missed an audible alert.
  13. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

The notification won't disappear from the top of the screen. Just pull the status bar down and it will show you a list of ALL your notifications missed.
    billdz likes this.
  14. billdz

billdz Member

Thanks for the replies, think I have this issue resolved now.

Yes, with the default emaill client, there is a small icon (looks like an envelope) that stays there after the initial notification. Guess I had not really noticed it at first. And yes, by dragging down, I get a list of the unread mails.

My final solution, at least for now, was a free alternate email app called Emoze. I like the look of it better than the default app, and it comes with a nice big widget that can be placed on the home screen to show unread mail. Maybe the widget is a little too big (4x2), but I am satisfied. The default app is also not bad, just a matter of how you like your email to look.

Thanks again,
    b
  15. RyanB

Don't forget that your version of Android is able to resize widgets. Just press and hold down on the widget, and you should either see a popup giving you the option, or a box around it with dots that you can drag to make it taller/shorter or wider/narrower; I use a custom home launcher that tends to tweak interfaces such as this so I don't recall specifically how it looks stock.
  16. billdz

billdz Member

Is it supposed to be able to do that with all widgets? I noticed the box when installing some other widgets but the box does not appear on this one.
  17. RyanB

AFAIK, it's a feature that should apply to all. I have yet to find a widget that it doesn't work on.
  18. RyanB

Have you long pressed on it, *after* placing it? Based on my experience, I don't believe the lack of border during placement would preclude you from doing so after the fact.
  19. RyanB

FWIW, I just loaded Emoze onto my phone, and I was able to resize it without problem. Again, that may be due to the fact that I'm running Nova for my launcher, but I don't believe that to be the case.
  20. billdz

billdz Member

21. RyanB

Here is the link to Nova. It won't necessarily appear any different, but will bring more options to what you can do with your homescreen. Should you elect to stick with Nova, be sure to remove all widgets from the stock homescreen so they're not running in the background while being unused by you.
    billdz likes this.