unreliable synch, wrong names on texts, slow youtube

Last Updated:

1. chobadangi

chobadangi New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi! I have had my HTC Desire for 3 or 4 weeks now and I am determined to like it. I'm stuck with it for 24 months so I have to!! However, synching with my outlook contacts and calendar seems to be a very hit and miss affair. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I am running Vista 32 bit on a Vaio laptop with outlook 2003 (I hope to move to google apps soon but it feels like a big job to do it so i need enough time to work it all out). I downloaded HTC synch from the web but that didn't work so I used the version on my phone and that seemed to work better! I am using HTC Sync, version: 2.0.28. I always start HTC Synch first and then connect the phone. i select the synch option on the phone, but it usually fails to connect at that point. If I then a wait a little, and if I am lucky, it seems to connect itself and the Application installer icon pops up on the HTC Synch screen. then i can try again to synch. And sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. This is a lot of messing about - i wish it would just work - is there anything i can do?
    Also, when i receive texts from kid's school or my bank, the phone seems to assign random names from my contacts list. How weird is that? Any ideas for a cure?
    I have also found that it can be extremely slow to load videos on youtube. at the weekend i was with someone who had a iphone on the same network in the same place and they had no problem. Grrrrr!! often when it fianlly gets the video and starts to play it it stops halfway through - data is obviously not coming through quickly enough. Is there anything i can do to help this.
    Finally I am very disappointed that it can't make phone calls as well as my old Nokia 6230. same place, same network, perfect on the old phone, dropping out and bad reception on the HTC. The old phone worked fine in the local supermarket, The HTC simply says NO NETWORK. Have i got a bad phone or is this typical?

Advertisement
  2. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Welcome to Android Forums!!

3. FelixofMars

FelixofMars Well-Known Member

I am not sure about Outlook sync at all as I am using mostly Google services like Calender etc.

The contacts issue and the overall quality of the network/wifi would suggest something was not quite right though. I have never really had any issues like that.

A few questions though, do you have any extra apps installed if so what are they?

Have you tried going into Settings>Applications>Manage Applications

Look through there and see if there are any apps that are running that you think you don't need or want and force stop them or try cleaning the cache. Sometimes I have noticed some apps I didn't think where running anymore or at all and these seemed to have been causing slowdown.

Failing that contact HTC or your provider for a replacment.

4. chobadangi

chobadangi New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks.
    Only one or two extra apps: AndNav2, Astro, Bluetooth file transfer, and one or two like recipes, on this day, grouchoisms.
    I have been using Advanced task killer and killing evrything running in the background to save battery, processing power etc.
    Waited for HTC to answer the phone a long time yesterday - might try again when i have some time!

5. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

I dont sync with Outlook because I'm googled. But I haven't noticed my signal to be any worse than any of my recent phones. In fact it still gets a signal in the back corner of Asda near me, but I have swapped from Orange to 3 as well so cant be sure. My experience of using Advanced Task Killer has been better since I stopped using it, less random things happening due to processes being killed and the phone doesnt seem any faster\slower. I just got into the habit of closing apps properly with exit or the back button.