unrEVOked 3.21 and the OTA update (not through OTA)

Last Updated:

1. Fredro

Fredro Member This Topic's Starter

I realize it's probably been answered now 100 times, but I'm looking for a sort of beginners guide to installing the OTA on my Evo that has unrEVOked 3.21 on it.

I would like to retain root access when completed, but haven't found a definitive guide by anyone who has done the OTA update (9/22 update) over unrEVOked 3.21.

I'm gathering that I will essentially need to "unroot" the phone, install the patch, then re-root with 3.21?

Could somebody provide a basic guide so I don't end up with a brick, please.

If this has already been done, then a link would be more than sufficient, but I can't be the only one out there who is wondering the same thing.

Thanks all, and sorry for the nOOb question.

Advertisement
  2. tpbklake

tpbklake Well-Known Member

Go check out this thread. It has the instructions you are looking for.

[Guide] How to apply the new OTA 3.29.651.5 when you have clockwork and s-off - xda-developers

Also check out unrevoked dev team (unrevoked) on Twitter. They have some additional comments and suggestions.

Regards,

Tom

3. alb

alb Member

I followed these directions but my 4G is no longer working. Any suggestions?
    Android version 2.2
    Baseband version 2.15.00.09.01
    Software number 3.29.651.5
    PRI Version 1.77_003

4. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

Are you rooted or did you unroot with the OTA?

In the future if you want to maintain root, do not take the OTA update. All you need to do is flash a stock rooted rom and the radio. There is no need to unroot and reroot.

5. alb

alb Member

I am rooted. I started off rooted using the latest unrevoked, followed the directions above to get the update then used the most recent version of unrevoked again to root. My root apps are working. I'm just not getting a 4G signal in any of the places that worked before.

6. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

Did you update your radios? Profile? PRL?

7. aliveon2legs

aliveon2legs Well-Known Member

Where do you update your radios? :confused:

Does this have to be done after every ota update?

8. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

aliveon2legs likes this.
  9. aliveon2legs

10. alb

alb Member

I updated all of them using the link in post 2 here exactly step by step. I updated radio then root again.

11. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

If you did the latest ota before rooting then you should be good, just make sure your baseband in "about phone" matches up with the one listed on calk's thread. Just update profile and prl and you should be good.

aliveon2legs likes this.
  12. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

Profile and prl are updated through "system updates" in settings. If you did all of that, I hope you did a nand backup with amons 1.8 before you did the ota. If you did, it also backs up the wimax partition on your phone so you can extract wimax.img and flash it through bootloader.

13. aliveon2legs

Looks good. Thanks again!

14. mynamewastaken

mynamewastaken Well-Known Member

That's fine but it'll wipe your phone in the process. If you can safely root after the OTA (as you can with the latest) then using that to patch up to the latest is a lot nicer than having to re-setup your entire phone for a minor update.

15. bobodobo

bobodobo Active Member

1. Run unrevoked 3.2.1
    2. Download this rooted stock rom
    3. Rename the downloaded file update.zip and copy it to the root directory of your SD card
    4. Run update (power down, power up while holding volume down button pressed, then follow menus to select and install update.zip ROM)
    5. Reboot
    6. Rerun unrevoked 3.2.1
    7. Install latest version of wireless tether app
    8. Duh, enjoy your phone!

I'm really not sure if all these steps were needed, but it worked. Now good to go with rooted latest stock 2.2 system. I didn't even need to do a Titanium backup and restore of my data, everything seems to have survived the process. I do still have 4G and I didn't do any separate radio update (should I?)

16. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

It takes about 5 minutes to re-setup the entire phone (including settings) using Titanium Backup. IMO, it is a much bigger pain having to unroot and then reroot.

17. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

If your baseband is 2.15.00.09.01 then you do not need to flash the new radio.

bobodobo likes this.
  18. bobodobo

bobodobo Active Member

Hmmm I'm still at 2.05.00.06.10.

Can I flash the new radios using this file and do the following?

1. Power off
    2. Power on while holding volume down button
    3. Select "Recovery"
    4. After reboot select "install zip from sdcard"
    5. Select the zipped radio update
    6. Reboot

Sorry for the dumb questions...

19. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

Those steps are correct. Though, I recommend getting quickboot in market so you don't have to go through bootloader to get to recovery. You should just do the combo update and get everything updated in one shot.

20. bobodobo

bobodobo Active Member

Thanks for all the tips, much appreciated... hmmm I did the update, everything went through just fine, exactly as expected, no error messages, then I updated my "profile" and PRL but I'm still at baseband 2.05.00.06.10 and PRI 1.40_003... I tried the whole process again just for grins, no change. Any suggestions? Try updating the radios one at a time? Or maybe leave well enough alone since everything seems to be working?

By the way I confirmed that "Signature check" is disabled, which I think is the same as "S-OFF"? I noticed that "Script asserts" were disabled, if that matters.