• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root unrEVOked error: "am reported error starting service"

marker580

Lurker
Jan 1, 2011
So I picked up an HTC Aria yesterday, my first Android. Naturally, the first thing I want to do is root it.

I found the instructions for rooting via unrevoked and followed them to the letter. Running unrevoked goes perfectly until the end, however, where I get this error:

Internal error: am reported error starting service

I looked around, but haven't found anything on this (besides this).

Any ideas?

I think this happened because I changed the default install location for apps to sd card. I suspect this causes the unrevoked service (called "zyspkloit") to be installed to SD. As the SD card is unavailable immediately after boot, the service is unable to start.

The solution that worked for me:

1. Set your default app install location to "phone"

2. Use "manage applications" to uninstall "zyspkloit"

3. Re-run unrevoked

:D

Upvote 0
I think this happened because I changed the default install location for apps to sd card. I suspect this causes the unrevoked service (called "zyspkloit") to be installed to SD. As the SD card is unavailable immediately after boot, the service is unable to start.

The solution that worked for me:

1. Set your default app install location to "phone"

2. Use "manage applications" to uninstall "zyspkloit"

3. Re-run unrevoked

:D

Hmm, I'm not sure this fixed the problem for me.

Seeing as how the Aria comes with 2.1 installed, I don't know how I could have set the default install location for apps to the SD card. There's nothing in the Settings to change it back either.

Any other suggestions?

Upvote 0
I have this same problem using HTC Desire. I know its not the same phone but i thought it was appropriate. I am running 2.1 so I don't think I can change install location of apps. Maybe another version of Unrevoked? I am running 3.31 and i'm getting the: Internal errror: am reported error starting service. Anyone know anything else to try?

Upvote 0
OK, I figured it out. The problem is unrEVOked 3.3.

To root the HTC Aria, you will need to use unrEVOked 3.21, which you can find here: http://downloads.unrevoked.com/recovery/3.21/reflash_package.exe

I have this same problem using HTC Desire. I know its not the same phone but i thought it was appropriate. I am running 2.1 so I don't think I can change install location of apps. Maybe another version of Unrevoked? I am running 3.31 and i'm getting the: Internal errror: am reported error starting service. Anyone know anything else to try?

Try using Unrevoked 3.21. It seems that the current 3.31 has some issues with phones running Android 2.1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones