• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unrevoked: Error: failed to get root. Is your firmware too new?

JSpink

Lurker
Mar 3, 2011
Hey everyone,
I'm trying to root my second HTC Evo 4G with Unrevoked. I successfully rooted my first Evo through Unrevoked, but replaced it after managing to crack the screen. Now I am consistently getting the message, "Error: failed to get root. Is your firmware too new?" I researched it a bit and was told it could be certain apps interfering. I tried factory resetting numerous times, uninstalled my anti-virus, set it to disk drive when I connected my phone, tried installing and uninstalling HTC Sync, tried a different computer all together, and I still get the same error. It's quite frustrating. If anyone can be of assistance, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hey everyone,
I'm trying to root my second HTC Evo 4G with Unrevoked. I successfully rooted my first Evo through Unrevoked, but replaced it after managing to crack the screen. Now I am consistently getting the message, "Error: failed to get root. Is your firmware too new?" I researched it a bit and was told it could be certain apps interfering. I tried factory resetting numerous times, uninstalled my anti-virus, set it to disk drive when I connected my phone, tried installing and uninstalling HTC Sync, tried a different computer all together, and I still get the same error. It's quite frustrating. If anyone can be of assistance, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If your on Gingerbread then you'll have to use this method. Ive rooted 3 phones using this method

How to gain S-OFF and then root the latest Gingerbread OTA for HTC EVO 4G

Upvote 0
The Internet is awesome!!!!! Well unfair really. I mean the world of hackers/developers against the software engineers at htc/sprint/verizon etc.

Of course the world is gonna win. And they did. 2.15.00808 rooted by the above link. Disclaimer - it worked for me. They dont include my version but fk it right. I did it anyway. golden.

Upvote 0
The Internet is awesome!!!!! Well unfair really. I mean the world of hackers/developers against the software engineers at htc/sprint/verizon etc.

Of course the world is gonna win. And they did. 2.15.00808 rooted by the above link. Disclaimer - it worked for me. They dont include my version but fk it right. I did it anyway. golden.

glad it worked for you. now go and get your flash on:D

Reactions: frenchy714
Upvote 0

Glad you got rooted. Just as a side note, 2.15.0808 is actually your baseband(radio) version and not your hboot. Your hboot version was likely 2.16(6.16 now that you have rooted it with revolutionary). Just trying to make sure you have the right information in case you run into issues at some point(and most of us do when we flash all the time) and you need some assistance.

Upvote 0
Glad you got rooted. Just as a side note, 2.15.0808 is actually your baseband(radio) version and not your hboot. Your hboot version was likely 2.16(6.16 now that you have rooted it with revolutionary). Just trying to make sure you have the right information in case you run into issues at some point(and most of us do when we flash all the time) and you need some assistance.

Thanks.Im gonna look it up now so Im familiar with future workings.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones