Unrevoked not working?

1. nschiwy

nschiwy Active Member

Ok, so i have a HTC Droid Incredible which i recently downgraded to the android 2.2 software in order to root using unrevoked and for some reason it doesn't work...

Android Version: 2.2
    Baseband Version: 2.15.00.07.28
    Kernel Version: 2.6.32.17-g9a2fc16 htc-kernel@u18000-build-149 #1
    Build Number: 3.26.605.1 CL264707 realease-keys
    Software Number: 3.26.605.1
    Browser Version: Webkit 3.1
    PRI Version: 1.28_002

when trying to use unrevoked i get the error message from the program saying "failed to root. is your firmware too new?" which is doesn't make sense to me considering it is the 2.2 firmware. also a lot of times the phone will turn off during the "root" process and thats when i get the failure message, other times when i keep the screen on during the process, i get an error message from my phone explaining that some software related to unrevoked has crashed and to force close the app.

Anyone who spots anything right away i apologize for making a new thread for this but i couldn't find anything else that was about the original droid incredible AND about unrevoked not working, but either way i will appreciate any advice. I am open to using ADB to root, if there are other methods that i can use rather than unrevoked.

Thanks!!

Advertisement
  2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Guides Guide

I'd just try rebooting the phone and the computer and try again.
  3. nschiwy

nschiwy Active Member

I couldn't even tell you how many times i've rebooted my computer and phone over the last couple of days trying to get it to work haha good advice though
  4. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Guides Guide

Weird, that usually does the trick. Try downloading unrevoked again, and run it a few times in a row if it doesn't go the first time.

Also some people have better luck with starting the program first, then plugging the phone in.
  5. nschiwy

nschiwy Active Member

Ok so one thing ive learner is there is a huge difference between unrevoked 3.22 and 3.32. In order to root the incredible 1 it must be 3.22. Since the government shut down all the file hosting sites a lot of links have been broken for downloading the correct version, and I didn't know it was a big difference, usually there is backwards compatibility. Anyway I got to the point where it flashes clockwork recovery to my phone and then it stops. Is there something I am supposed to do or am I just being too impatient? Since its on therenow though, could I just flash the Rom I want or do I still need root access first?
  6. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Guides Guide

Unrevoked 3.32 should work on the 2.2 software. It can be found at unrevoked still.

If you boot your phone and have the superuser icon in your app drawer, you should be okay to just install rom manager from the market and use that to flash clockwork recovery. You will need to make sure that your phone is s-off though (in hboot). But you need root access before you can proceed with anything else.
  7. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

+1 on the above advice. 3.22 is used to gain temporary root access while on gingerbread. 3.32 is what you want to use in your situation. Theoretically they should both work but you may as well remove the possibility from the equation.
  8. nschiwy

nschiwy Active Member

If that is the case then i really don't know what to do because when i use 3.22 i get stuck at the recovery screen and unrevoked says "booting in recovery" and when i use 3.32 i get the "failed to root. is your firmware too new?" error. Is it possible that my hboot is too new? my phone has hboot 0.92 which i understand is an upgrade that was sent at some point from hboot 0.80

any suggestions..?
  9. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Guides Guide

Your hboot is fine... When you say your phone gets stuck in recovery... is it clockwork recovery or the stock recovery? If you are getting stuck in clockwork, you can manually flash superuser and s-off.

Does your hboot still say s-on at the top left of the screen?
    iowabowtech likes this.
  10. nschiwy

nschiwy Active Member

hboot says s-on, and yes i am getting stuck in clockwork recovery. can i just put files on my sd card and push them then?
  11. nschiwy

nschiwy Active Member

do you happen to know how i can get those files or the procedure for flashing them?:D
  12. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Guides Guide

nschiwy and iowabowtech like this.
  13. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

14. nschiwy

nschiwy Active Member

Please Note that this post is outdated and will only work for those with .92 hboot

So, This is the second time I’ve tried to make this post and I feel like I should have known better than to make a giant post like this and then hit submit before copying it to word or something but anyway…..
    I thought that I have been through so much to finally get this rooted and have my ROM installed that I thought I am certainly not the only person to have had this problem and I would organize a full instruction guide to Downgrade, root and flash when you have troubles with unrevoked for people who have had similar troubles.
    NOTE: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE YOU CAUSE TO YOUR DEVICE, THIS GUIDE IS DESIGNED TO HELP DROID INCREDIBLE USERS WHO ARE HAVING TROUBLE ROOTING THEIR PHONES AND I DO NOT KNOW THE EFFECTS A SIMILAR PROCEEDURE WOULD CAUSE TO OTHER PHONES.
    First things first, I want to give credit where credit is due. Scotty85 of these forums wrote a large portion of what I am about to tell you and I am simply copying it and I will give you links to his original posts so he gets credit.
    Step 1: Downgrade your phone
    If your phone already has Android 2.2 on it then you can skip to Step 2
    The HTC Incredible cannot be rooted unless it is running android 2.2 froyo, so the first thing you must do is downgrade your phone: I will copy the instructions to here so they are all in one place but here is a link to the original post by Scotty85
    http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/427344-how-root-2-3-4-downgrade-get-s-off.html#post3308718
    I will provide you with new links because a lot of the ones on Scotty85’s post are dead
    First Download These Files:
    Hboot Drivers for The droid incredible – from unrevoked
    Mini-adb_inc.zip from mediafire
    PB31IMG.zip from mediafire
    Now, follow the following instructions:

Now what you need to do is place PB31IMG.zip onto the root of your sd card and run hboot by when turning on your phone holding down the power and volume-down buttons at the same time. It should automatically find the file and ask if you wish to update and you just need to select “yes”.

Step 2: Flash Clockwork Recovery to your phone
    You now need to download a few more files and place them somewhere that will be easy to find.
    Unrevoked 3.22 from Mediafire – NOTE: if this link ever becomes broken, you must use version 3.22, 3.32 will NOT work.
    Clockwork 5.0.2.0 from PvilleComp.com – make sure you use clockwork 5.0.2.0 with md5: e8ac35ddc1c37000bb0852d1f380b5bb
    Next, run unrevoked 3.22, as an administrator if you can. And click file>Custom Recovery… and select the .img file which is inside the Clockwork 5.0.2.0 .zip that you downloaded, you may need to extract the folder first.
    Next you can plug in your phone and select charge only and then go to Settings>Applications>development> and enable debugging.
    Unrevoked should now recognize your phone and bring up a warning dialogue. Click ok and Unrevoked will run and flash Clockwork 5.0.2.0 to your phone. Do not touch your phone until you see a terminal-like screen on your phone in all blue text on a black background.
    At this point just click “reboot system now”- you can navigate clockwork using the up and down volume keys and use the power button for “enter” or you can use the scroll button at the bottom of your droid incredible to navigate and center-click for “enter”.

Step 3: Rooting your phone
    You will now need to download a few more files and place them on the root of your sd-card
    Superuser.zip – found on androidsu.com – simply select the version of superuser.zip that matches your OS, 2.2 Froyo.
    Unrevoked forever – from unrevoked.com – look for the unrevokedforever.zip file download
    Like I said, place these files on to the root of your SD card at this time using the mass storage feature of your phone when it is booted into android.
    Now, boot your phone into clockwork recovery mode. Simply turn off your phone and hold power + volume-down and it will start the hboot and then select “recovery” using the volume keys to navigate and the power button for “enter”
    When booted into clockwork navigate to the “install zip from sd card” option and then find the superuser.zip file that you put onto your sd card. Select yes to install and clockwork will install superuser and root your phone.
    At this time your phone is rooted, and if this is all you wanted then congratulations, you’re done! Simply click on “reboot system now” and enjoy your superuser powers responsibly
    However, if you want to someday in the future flash a ROM to your phone go ahead and use the same procedure you used to install superuser.zip to install unrevokedforever.zip, this is simple to switch the phone from s-on to s-off, which means that the security is off and it will allow you to install unsigned ROMs to the phone (one’s not signed by HTC)
    You may now click “reboot system now” to reboot into android.

Step 4: Installing a ROM
    Find a ROM from Cyanogenmod or your favorite developer such as and put it onto the root of your sd card.
    At this time you have two options for installing a ROM to your phone: you can either manually go into clockworkmod recovery and wipe the cache, data, and system of your phone and then use the “install zip from sd card” and install the ROM
    OR you can install ROM manager to your phone (can be found on Google Play, formally Android Market) and install from there. All you need to do is use the app to reflash Clockwork and then select “Install ROM from SD card” and it will do all of the work for you. You can choose to backup your old ROM or to wipe the cache, but after this runs and completes you will boot into your new ROM.
    Note: if you format your sd card before this process and have only the ROM on the card it will run much faster.

You’re done! Congratulations! You may have a ROM that does not have google apps pre-installed but there are many guides online for installing the android market and google apps. For example, for cyanogenmod you can just flash a gapps.zip specific for your version using clockwork and it will push all of the apps for you.
    Enjoy your now rooted and flashed phone, and as always, root responsibly.
    FishDoctor likes this.
  15. WhizGidget

WhizGidget Well-Known Member

Is there another location for ZergRush? I'm getting access denied errors from the link on xda, and I've spent *far* too much time tonight trying to get to root.
  16. nschiwy

nschiwy Active Member

As far as I know, ZergRush doesn't work on gingerbread. Can you share a little information about your phone to get you fixed up? What android version? if you load hboot, what is the information displayed at the top? hboot version? s-on, s-off? I should be able to help you out if you give me a little information and let me know what kind of symptoms you are experiencing at which steps.
  17. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Guides Guide

Zergrush is meant for gingerbread.
    I was getting the same error from the links on xda. It may be back up by now.
    If this method isn't working for you:
    http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/427344-how-root-2-3-4-downgrade-get-s-off.html
    You can also use this method:
    http://androidforums.com/incredible...ow-unlock-downgrade-achieve-s-off-htcdev.html
  18. nschiwy

nschiwy Active Member

sorry, I confused the zergrush script with the app that used to be able to root devices a while back that also started with a Z!
  19. zimlokks

zimlokks Well-Known Member

u mean z4root? only gives temp root to s-on users
  20. nschiwy

nschiwy Active Member

Yeah that's it, and that's all you really need if you want to flash CMW with ROM manager, hypothetically.
  21. zimlokks

yea if ur on hboot .92... recovery portion is still blocked if u have s-on
  22. WhizGidget

WhizGidget Well-Known Member

No worries, guys. I started over, and managed to root and S-off this time. Don't know what I did wrong last time.

So, now I'm running stable Cyanogenmod7. :) Tried Miui, didn't like it.
  23. zimlokks

thats great! Enjoy being rooted ;D u should try ics roms :D
  24. droidisu

droidisu New Member

I was reading nschiwy's full procedure post on Apr 4, 2012 and in step 2 it says "Unrevoked 3.22 from Mediafire
  25. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

z4 can install CW on s on phones if your persistant ;)

my junk spare inc wouldnt run unrevoked,and i was able to get cw installed with z4 and rom manager,then flashed unrevokeds forever patch.

a long time ago there was a thread,and the user said he just flashed cw over and over from rom manager- 10,20,or some absurd number of times,and it worked. so as i sat watchin tv one night,i flashed cw from rom manager over and over. couldnt even tell you how many times. finanly it froze(its junk-not cause of the repeated flashing). pulled the battery and entered recovery thru hboot and lo and behold there was clockwork :D

if you have trouble with z4,you can use the htc supertool to prep the phone(temp root with zergrush) and then permantly install su. after that try and install cw with rom manager.