• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unrevoked not working?

I followed the procedure in nschiwy's post on Apr 4, 2012 in this thread but I can't get Unrevoked to work. When I use Unrevoked v3.32 I end up getting "Error: failed to get root. Is your firmware too new?". I tried a couple times with the same result. I then tried a couple more times using Unrevoked v3.22 but it ends up with a "failed to flash recovery image" error.

The following is my phone's current configuration:
From Software Information screen..
Android version: 2.3.4
Baseband version: 2.15.10.12.20
Kernel version: 2.6.35-g22d3486, htc-kernel@and18-2 #1, Tue May 22 20:56:42 CST 2012
Software number: 4.08.605.15 710RD

From Hardware Information screen...
Hardware version: 0003

I tried searching the forums and I ended up at htcdev.com/bootloader thinking this might help but I could never get the site to respond. I created an account, logged in, selected the HTC Droid Incredible as my device, and then hit the Begin Unlock Bootloader button but nothing ever happened.

I'm stuck. Does anyone have any ideas?

Because you have the newest OTA, more than likely you have the newest version of hboot, meaning my procedure will not work :( but if you follow these instructions on xda then you should be set. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Both of these do the same thing they are just written a little differently

[GUIDE] How To Root HBOOT 1.02/1.07 and gain S-OFF - xda-developers
[HOW tO] unlock,downgrade,and achieve s-off with htcDev - xda-developers

Reactions: droidisu
Upvote 0
Because you have the newest OTA, more than likely you have the newest version of hboot, meaning my procedure will not work :( but if you follow these instructions on xda then you should be set. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Both of these do the same thing they are just written a little differently

[GUIDE] How To Root HBOOT 1.02/1.07 and gain S-OFF - xda-developers
[HOW tO] unlock,downgrade,and achieve s-off with htcDev - xda-developers

*ahem*

http://androidforums.com/incredible...ow-unlock-downgrade-achieve-s-off-htcdev.html

;)

I tried searching the forums and I ended up at htcdev.com/bootloader thinking this might help but I could never get the site to respond. I created an account, logged in, selected the HTC Droid Incredible as my device, and then hit the Begin Unlock Bootloader button but nothing ever happened.

what happens when you click the button?

there is a "are you sure you wish to continue" popup,then a legal terms pop up,where you have to check both the boxes. you will then be taken to the bootloader unlock directions,wich will first require you to download a new hboot if you are on .92. i just checked hctdev,and it is currently working now. it could be it was experiencing prollems when you tried previously.

the guide linked above has some directions that hopefuly simplify and explain the unlock process,and then how to downgrade,reunlock and s-off.

i dont support the xda thread that much,so feel free to post on the thread here if you have any quesations or prollems :)

Reactions: droidisu
Upvote 0
Thank you so much to nschiwy and scotty85!!! I ended up following scotty85's HOW TO guide and it worked perfectly! I couldn't have done it without your help, and I am proud to say that I am now rooted with s-off and I have installed CM7.2.

Just so others can hopefully benefit from this...
The problem I was having with htcdev's unlock bootloader must have been their site. When I tried again last night it worked for me.

I also had problems installing the new RUU from the htcdev site. I kept getting an error message saying it couldn't connect to my phone via USB. I ended up downloading and installing HTC Sync from their link on the htcdev site which fixed it.

After that, it was all down hill and I just followed the guide which was beuatifully written and nicely detailed. I really appreciated all the detail and the screen shots as they allowed me to see that I was on track along the way.

There was only 1 step in the guide where I wasn't exactly sure how to do what it was saying, but I ended up figuring it out. Step 3 flash superuser root files, I wasn't totally sure how to wipe dalvik cache since an obvious option for that can't be seen in the initial clockwork recovery menu. After playing around a bit, I found the option under the Advanced menu. I'm assuming for anyone familar with clockwork that this was obvious, but for me as a noobie I didn't know that.

Thank you so much again! Now I'm off to setting up my "new" phone....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones