Unrevoked & OTA Update

Last Updated:

1. Danjester

Danjester Member This Topic's Starter

I'm using an Orange Desire, and want to get rid of the netwoprk provider software.

I was looking at using unrevoked, but does anyone know if I can then get the HTC OTA Froyo update?

Advertisement
  2. PJD007

PJD007 Well-Known Member

Why wait just load a froyo ROM

3. Danjester

Because I'm starting out with Android and want to get to grips with the manufacturer build first.

That doesn't answer my question.

Has anyone used Unrevoked to de-brand their Desire and then managed to get the HTC OTA 2.2 update?

4. angrypirate

angrypirate Member

You dont need to get to grips with the manufacturers build prior to learning how to use the unbranded ROM. The major differences is that you loose all the annoying orange apps.

Im a complete noob to Android and following the debranding instructions it really didnt take that long to do. Just make sure whenever you update you have the goldcard in and also you will need to purchase an sim unlock code (about

5. Danjester

Thanks for the post but it's still not answering my question!

6. PJD007

PJD007 Well-Known Member

Which you won't unless you can't read english.

Seriously I don't think I've seen a case where anyone has bricked there phone yet (not saying it hasn't\won't happen) but there's no point waiting and the differences between the Android version aren't massive.

7. japester

japester Well-Known Member

As far as I know once rooted with unrevoked and loaded with a custom Rom you cannot download OTA updates from HTC.

Danjester likes this.
  8. Tunga

Tunga Well-Known Member

If you use Unrevoked to get root, you can then flash the Official generic HTC build (which will remove your root) and then you will get the 2.2 OTA update. Or you may actually be able to just flash the HTC 2.2 build straight up, it's probably available now.

Danjester likes this.