unrevoked risk?

Last Updated:

1. dave31175

dave31175 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but given the cost of the EVO, plus my propensity for things I touch turning to crap, I'm wondering if there's any risk to installing/running unrevoked from unrevoked? If I understand correctly, this merely gives root access, leaving the rest of my android intact, correct? I'm wanting to try wireless tethering since I've been unsuccessful trying to use pdanet with my mac.

Advertisement
  2. THEFORCE

THEFORCE Well-Known Member

all it really does is give you access to use root programs, and you shouldnt have any problem with everything else

3. dave31175

Thanks, as you can tell I'm a bit paranoid about bricking! I'll give it a try.

4. THEFORCE

jus make sure you read and understnad what you are doing, if you dont know, ask...thats what a forum is for

dave31175 and Quisqueya like this.
  5. dave31175

Thanks again. I've run unrevoked, installed wireless tether, and it's working perfectly! So what other nifty things do I do with unrevoked root access? Most of the threads here seem to involve full rooting with installation of custom ROMs, and I'm not sure if I'm ready for that yet...

6. THEFORCE

Well just search for root in the market for root apps...one of my favorites is titanium backup

dave31175 likes this.
  7. nitty917

nitty917 Well-Known Member

now root it all the way. and flash a custom rom.

8. dave31175

Is there a list somewhere of all the EVO custom ROMs? I probably won't try a full root until there's a froyo ROM...

9. SebastianX

SebastianX Well-Known Member

How do you know this? The apk installs a superuser app then calls an external binary file to achieve root, do you have the source code of that binary file?

How does it achieve root? Do you have any legitimate proof what so ever of what it does to gain superuser access.

Until you can answer any/all of those question you should NOT tell people all it does is this and that because you don't know that, and that team isn't releasing any information about how it gains root. For that reason I refuse to root via that method.

10. THEFORCE

I'm just putting it in simple terms....using the first unrevoked method didn't allow you to flash a custom rom so it only really allowed you to use root apps