• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unrevoked root for a new android user

ironpanda

Lurker
Oct 25, 2010
So I am considering using unrevoked to flash/root my droid incredible and I just had a few questions. How safe is it? Is it easy to brick during the flash process or after when its already flashed? If my phone does somehow get bricked is there any way to save it? Is it reversible? If so is it easy? And lastly how does unrevoked run? I have stock 2.2 and its fast and smooth. Would using unrevoked slow it down?

While it's mostly safe these days, there is always the possibility of something going wrong. Bricking the phone means, it's a paper weight (will not boot at all). This is actually pretty rare. Most people think their phone is bricked when it's really just in a boot loop or similar because they didn't follow directions. This can usually be fixed by just reflashing the ROM or restoring a nandroid.

Unrevoked isn't an application that runs. It just unlocks the phone. It's a one-time thing that happens outside of the OS.

That said, it's your phone. You are responsible for whatever happens to it, regardless of the directions you may be given by someone else. If you are not willing to accept the risk of potentially hozing your phone beyond repair, you should not consider rooting.

Upvote 0
So I am considering using unrevoked to flash/root my droid incredible and I just had a few questions. How safe is it? Is it easy to brick during the flash process or after when its already flashed? If my phone does somehow get bricked is there any way to save it? Is it reversible? If so is it easy? And lastly how does unrevoked run? I have stock 2.2 and its fast and smooth. Would using unrevoked slow it down?

Just to reiterate on what Dan said, it just unlocks the phone allowing you access to change your ROM, which is similar to a Theme but different. Also allowing you to change your kernel which may help your phone run better with less battery usage as well as making system changes like removing bloatware and more. It also gives you the opportunity to run root only programs such as Titanium Backup, Adfree, Cachemate, SetCPU, Wireless Tether, etc... If you like experimenting with better setups as you would on a computer and enjoy making things to conform with your own setup and liking then I would recommend you root. If you just want something that runs and gets shit done, I recommend you keep your phone stock but definitely consider rooting.

There is a process that will allow you to unroot if you have a warranty issue, it's pretty simple. Just flashing of a zip file through HBOOT and you're practically done. If you're warranty is up or you don't have one (like me) then you can just use Assurion and tell them you lost it so you can skip the step of having to unroot.

The only way you're really going to brick your phone is either, during unrevoked, unrevoked forever, messing with HBOOT (IE: HBOOT version or Radio version) or oing a battery pull during a system flash (flashing of rom, kernel or something of the sort) If it happens, it'll probably be a user error but again, like Dan said, it's pretty rare for a user to brick their phone. Once again, if you brick it, you can always use assurion saying you lost it. Win for Total Equipment Coverage, hehe.

Unrevoked is really simple, you do all the prereq's then plug in your USB, one click, wait and you are rooted. You will then probably want to back up your system by doing a NANDROID backup (backs up the state your phone is in at this time, including all texts, phone calls levels beaten in Angry birds, lol.) through Clockwork Recovery then mess with your phone however you want. If you get into a boot loop or something won't fully boot up then you can just reboot back into clockwork and restore your previous setup. EZPZ, heh.

Through my own experience, I bought my phone at the end of August and rooted 3 days after getting it, although I was nervous about what I was doing I don't regret doing it for a split second. Just go with your gut feeling and if you're not sure, research it more or ask someone.

EDIT: Although it may be outdated, I would read through this to give you an idea of what rooting is and how easy it truely is: Howto: Root the HTC Droid Incredible - Technology - Jonamerica.com

Upvote 0
I rooted my Incredible phone a few days ago (bought it and received it last July) and only regret is that I didn't do this sooner. Using the instructions I found on this forum I was able to root my phone quickly and easily without any issues. I also flashed a new ROM on my phone and even removed some bloatware I didn't want to see in my app drawer anymore. Good luck if you decide to do it.

Upvote 0
I don't want this to sound rude or condescending but it probably will b/c it's hard not to over the internet, but here goes....

With your demonstrated lack of knowledge on this procedure, I would recommend reading all you can about not only unrevoked, but also the root process in general. I read the unrevoked website and forums like this for about a week before I finally rooted my phone. I dang near had the process memorized, but when I did it, I took my time and double checked everything I was doing.

You also need to find out if you have a SLCD screen, this kinda changes things when it comes to installing ROMs

Take your time, learn about what your getting into, make backups of everything then decide if you still want to root your phone.

I am very glad I did it but I would have been very mad if I had somehow bricked my phone.

Like the poster above said, I've had my phone since April and just now have discovered all this, I wish I had done it sooner.

Good luck, this forum is here for any questions you have.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones