Unrevoked Vs Traditional Root?

Last Updated:

1. aliveon2legs

aliveon2legs Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

What are the advantages/disadvantages of each method. Or does it even matter now that Unrevoked is a true root?

:confused:

Advertisement
  2. Shawnz

Shawnz Well-Known Member

6 of one half dozen the other. Different ways of getting to the same result.

I used Unrevoked / Unrevoked forever on 3 phones now and I've had zero issues.

3. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

unrevoked3 + unrevoked4ever was slightly different. You don't get the engineering bootloader, and you don't have extended fastboot commands. Fixable if you just flash the engineering bootloader, but most people don't bother. Unrevoked4ever had a sticky NAND unlock, meaning it wasn't tied to the bootloader. So it makes it harder for you to lose the ability to root your phone.

I'm not sure what goes on behind the scenes with unrevoked3.2. Meaning, I don't know if it puts the Eng bootloader on your phone, and whether the S-OFF is sticky or not. But someone here is bound to know.

4. Wadester

Wadester Well-Known Member

I used Unrevoked and haven't had any problems -- and it was a breeze. I recommend Factory Reset (wiping all user data) before starting the process.

5. Mr.Shaky

Mr.Shaky New Member

I tried flashing CyanogenMod6, but failed due to, I'm told, not having the engineering bootloader with extended fastboot. Is it possible to flash just the bootloader without wiping or losing data?

How do I find the latest engineering bootloader?

6. HoldenCaufield

HoldenCaufield Well-Known Member

I just used unrevoked yesterday, and it worked awesomely. I'm now on custom rom bakedsnack.
    But the above is correct from what I've been reading. You need the ENG bootloader to flash CM6 if you used unrevoked to root. I'm thinking of going to CM6 in a week or so, after I've given baked a fair shake.
    Quick google search: ENG bootloader (0.76 needed for CM6) extended fastboot commands. - xda-developers

njoy

7. Wadester

The first NOTE states "This is only for unrevoked forever users" -- does that include Unrevoked3 vs. Unrevoked Forever?

8. HoldenCaufield

HoldenCaufield Well-Known Member

Wadester, the newest version of unrevoked is actually 3.21, which basically does what unrevoked 3 and forever did together. In other words, 3.21 includes the s-off portion of root that unrevoked forever did.
    That being said, the ENG bootloader is still necessary for us. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

9. Wadester

Okay, I was just looking for clarification because the XDA note said "unrevoked forever" users. Technically I didn't use that method but I see what you're saying.