• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unrevoked with OTA patch 1.47.651.1 is out!

At this point we really need two things:

(1) Need to know if a "one click wonder" will likely be available soon, or if that looks more long term (more than a week).

(2) Someone needs to post step by step instructions for those of us who have ONLY the one click unrevoked installed now and have NOT yet updated via the OTA update but who want to go with the unrevoked patch at public:evo_ota_2_patch [RootWiki]

The instructions at the link above are incomplete.

Mike

Upvote 0
alright so I guess unrevoked just released and updated version with OTA2 included LESS the Sprint's WiMax Fix

anybody install this version of unrevoked? is it worth it? any real improvement in EVO's performance?

I'm thinking of sticking to the pre OTA with the old unrevoked until unrevoked includes the WiMax patch. I'm not sure if it's worth it without it

Upvote 0
This thread is so confusing.

I did the update when it first came out, worked just fine. Like a complete dummy I forgot that I had "Unrevoked" my phone. Everything is working fine... except the 4g. It just keeps scanning for 4g and never notifies me of anything being available, it scanned for 2 hours yesterday. We don't have 4g around here yet, so it is not a huge deal, but it is something I would eventually like to use.

So, is there a current Unrevoked for someone like me, who has applied the ota on top of the original Unrevoked? Or is there a way to just fix my 4g?

Upvote 0
This thread is so confusing.

I did the update when it first came out, worked just fine. Like a complete dummy I forgot that I had "Unrevoked" my phone. Everything is working fine... except the 4g. It just keeps scanning for 4g and never notifies me of anything being available, it scanned for 2 hours yesterday. We don't have 4g around here yet, so it is not a huge deal, but it is something I would eventually like to use.

So, is there a current Unrevoked for someone like me, who has applied the ota on top of the original Unrevoked? Or is there a way to just fix my 4g?

After you did the update, is your unrevoked still n the phone ?

Upvote 0
Someone needs to post step by step instructions for those of us who have ONLY the one click unrevoked installed now and have NOT yet updated via the OTA update but who want to go with the unrevoked patch at public:evo_ota_2_patch [RootWiki]

The instructions at the link above are incomplete.
What is incomplete?

I haven't done it yet, but it looks complete to me - although there may not be enough hand-holding for the Nervous Nellies.

Upvote 0
What is incomplete?

I haven't done it yet, but it looks complete to me - although there may not be enough hand-holding for the Nervous Nellies.

It's incomplete for the person who has only installed unrevoked because the site mentions needing unrevoked2 but doesn't give clear instructions on how to go through the entire process: installing unrevoked2 and then the patch.

BTW, if you follow the unrevoked2 link you get an EXE file that wants to self extract into the Mozilla Firefox directory. Once you override that and pick a folder, you get EXE/dll and data files with no instructions.

Mike

Upvote 0
It's incomplete for the person who has only installed unrevoked because the site mentions needing unrevoked2 but doesn't give clear instructions on how to go through the entire process: installing unrevoked2 and then the patch.

BTW, if you follow the unrevoked2 link you get an EXE file that wants to self extract into the Mozilla Firefox directory. Once you override that and pick a folder, you get EXE/dll and data files with no instructions.

Mike
The self extract is a user/Mozilla shortcoming. Just save it to a folder and then double-click the file. It self-extracts to a folder of your choosing.

After doing that obvious activity, I think the instructions can be summarized into the following sentence:

"Have your Evo phone plugged in via USB and double-click on the reflash.exe file."

If you're not plugged in it even tells you it is waiting for you to plug in.

Have you tried that yet?

So yes, it does not have complete instructions. But the implicit instructions are the same as any other software I have installed from the web. Download and double-click.

Upvote 0

Mike

i did unrevoked2 today but to go stuck trying to finish the rest of the directions (doing the update.zip). i got the famous 'status 7' error and gave up.

to do unrevoked2:
once you unzip the reflash bundle you should have a reflash.exe file, about 5 other files and there is also a html file that tells you how to install the hboot driver. follow the hboot driver html instructions. its quite simple IMO so i wont even go over that part.

once that part is done...plug in your phone as 'charge only' and make sure to turn on usb debugging (settings>applications>development)

then you should just be able to double click and run the 'reflash.exe' file and that should be it.

to see if it worked, do as they said:
public:evo_ota_2_patch [RootWiki]

--If you are not sure if your phone has a custom recovery, you can find out by rebooting your phone into recovery mode. To do so, power the phone down, and when powering the phone back up, hold the 'volume down' button while pressing power. At the “HBOOT” menu, press volume down once to select “RECOVERY”, then press power once to enter recovery mode. If the screen says “ClockworkMod” at the top, then you have run unrevoked2. If it does not, you need to reboot the phone and run unrevoked2.---

this is far as I have gotten since the rest gives me the error 7 problem, and i cant figure out how to do the joeykrim fix.

plus i keep hearing things about it breaking 4g so i'm not sure i want to go much further. i may just do a full "toast" root someday.

Edit: did the joeykrim fix.. still did not help me. going to have to wait awhile.

Upvote 0
i have no problems with installing software. it's the adb thing that kills me. and this nand unlock and all the other jazz. although i'm sometimes a quick learner. rewriting lines of code through an adb shell is something i never went to school for. i'm young but not that young. computers didn't exist when i was in school. we still had typewriters.

Upvote 0
i have no problems with installing software. it's the adb thing that kills me. and this nand unlock and all the other jazz. although i'm sometimes a quick learner. rewriting lines of code through an adb shell is something i never went to school for. i'm young but not that young. computers didn't exist when i was in school. we still had typewriters.

Hmm. It would seem by those last two sentences that you use the word "young" in quite a relative sense. ;) I don't consider myself young but at least we had the TRS-80 when I was in school. :)

I'm young at heart though: I guess that counts for something (other than annoying the wife).

Mike

Upvote 0
Can I ask people not to say that their 4g works, if they can't test it on a 4g network. Just because you can turn your 4g radio on, doesn't mean it works. Please refrain from saying your 4g works if you aren't sure, you could be helping further complicate the problem.

My 4g doesn't connect now after:

1. Unrevoked 1 "root"
2. Unrevoked 2 "custom recovery"
3. Unrevoked update OTA patch v2 (the one with '99% less brick')

All the unrevoked processes went smooth, but the 3rd step (OTA patch v2) killed my wimax none-the-less. Even though the v2 patch says "wimax update not included" it still messed my wimax up, and I can no longer connect. My 4g continually is 'scanning' and turns off and on every 4 or 5 minutes while 'scanning'. I've tweeted unrevoked twice about this, but no reply, and they are still distributing their patch. BAD FORM UNREVOKED.

Just to clarify, I only did the 3 steps listed above, and nothing else. No other rooting attempts, no v1 patch. Nothing else but the 3 unrevoked steps listed above. 4g = dead.

NOBRAKES: did you do the v1 OTA patch from unrevoked, or v2 patch? Do you know?

Thanks everyone- Hopefully we can all get our phones back to 110%

Upvote 0
alright so I guess unrevoked just released and updated version with OTA2 included LESS the Sprint's WiMax Fix

anybody install this version of unrevoked? is it worth it? any real improvement in EVO's performance?

I'm thinking of sticking to the pre OTA with the old unrevoked until unrevoked includes the WiMax patch. I'm not sure if it's worth it without it

I did the OTA2 less Sprint's wimax fix, and it broke my 4g.
I strongly recommend NOT DOING the current unrevoked OTA2 patch v2.
Stick with pre OTA, until you are ready to get down and dirty with a real root. or Until you see a week full of posts saying that a new Unrevoked patch worked perfectly and kept 4g.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones